American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:32 am 

Wayne wrote:

(Btw, does anyone know if both players need the scenario file? If only the first player needs it then there is no way the defender could cheat and reload as the attacking player in order to see VP values)

To the best of my knowledge both players need to have the .oob and .map files shown in the game file, the .scn file is not required.
Once a game is started all unit information, location, arrival times, condition etc is located inside the gamefile.

At one time we had Blind Scenarios offered by members where you were sent the game file, a briefing and a password for your side.
You could look at the oob file but you had no way of knowing how much of it your opponent actually had available or
where and when they arrived.
Made for some interesting games.

The McKeesport Union Guard

3/1/II
AotP

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:28 pm 

William Peters wrote:
Not knowing what a value is is really moot as all I have to do is open up the Scenario Editor (which I do) and check the value.

When calculating how to win a scenario its important to know what the objective is worth and in most cases the capture of a key location is a set value anyway.

Sorry, Berto, I just dont see the need to disguise its value. I also do not play the scenarios with the idea of "just open it up and play it blind" but frankly when you are looking to WIN a scenario how else can you do that if you do not know what a VP is worth? Its not the worth to the defender that matters but for what its worth to the attacker.

I think it's pretty interesting to disguise the value, the defender has a general clue of what the attacker is aiming at by seeing the VP locations but he is not aware how impotent certain positions are to the attacker, the defender has to find it out by judging the actions of the attacker.

Besides this, the real value can be easily guessed by looking at the Victory screen and the objective value changes when VP locations get occupied, no need to examine the scenario in detail for this. Playing blind is just the best way, anything else just spoils the fun and seems a bit like cheating.

"Where to stop? I don't know. At Hell, I expect."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:19 pm 

There is no point to hidden VP values unless they are randomly changing every game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:53 pm 

I'm confused about the new 'variable' rules. Can an objective hex now be worth different amounts, depending on which side holds it? For example (say, if the hex is behind Union lines), it may be worth 500 points to the Rebel side but 0 to the Union?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:49 am 

Gen. Mallory, yes VP's for Objective Hexes can be set in several ways. There are now 5 different types of Objective Hexes

Exit Objective - An Exit Objective is assigned to a side.... An Exit Objective should only be placed on the boundary of the map. Exit Objectives award points to the side assigned to them when units are removed from the map while occupying the Exit Objective hex. (There is currently a problem with the hex changing sides allowing the opposing side to also exit units if it occupies the hex, that has been addressed and will be fixed in the next updates.)
Exit Objectives are noted as such in the Terrain Box.
Exit 0pts

Standard Objective - the occupying side accrues these points immediately (the Victory Dialog notes this immediately and doesn't wait until the end of the turn) upon occupying the hex. These accruals are one time only (they don't continue to pile up from turn to turn) and are only awarded to Side 1. If the opposing side occupies the hex the first side loses these points.

Variable Objective Points - these are basically Standard Objective Points that can vary from turn to turn, again these apply only to Side 1.
The objective values can rise, fall, go to zero, etc. They can be completely arbitrary.
If it's still not clear, these objective hexes function much like traditional single-number objectives hexes - with one-time awarding of points that are lost if you lose the hex -- except the point values can vary by turn.
Standard Objectives and Variable Objectives are shown as
Objective #pts
Changes are not shown until they occur.

Per Turn Accrual - This is a new type of objective value, where accruals add up each turn, and may accrue to either the Union or the Confederates.
Important: Unlike the earlier objective value types, which take effect immediately, the per-turn accruals only happen at turn's end. If you take an objective of this type, there is no immediate change in the Objective Points box in the Victory Dialog. The change will only be reflected at the end of the second side, as the turn passes on to the next provided you don't lose the hex before then. Once the points are accrued you don't lose them although your opponent's points can modify your total Objective Points.

Variable Per Turn Accrual - Like the preceding type -- Per Turn Accrual -- but varies by turn segment like the Variable Objective Points.
Per Turn Accrual and variable Per Turn Accrual show the same way, they don't show the variable changes until they happen.
Objective 10/30

To the best of my knowledge the Variable and Per Turn Accrual Objectives changes were introduced in Shenandoah.
They may not be in use in any other games.

This information and how to set the Objective Hexes and their values is contained in the Scenario Editor Help File.
Upon consideration I believe something like what I have written above should be placed in the User Manual and Main Help files.
I hope to update the Help files with any changes that are introduced when the last installment is released and will look into doing this at that time.

Edited for additional content.

3/1/II
AotP

Last edited by krmiller_usa on Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:45 pm 

Great explanation Ken and you are right. This info should land in the User Manual when the opportunity to update that occurs.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:13 pm 

How will the players know if the scenario is using Standard Objective, Variable Objective, Per Turn Accrual, or Variable Per Turn Accrual? Will it be noted in the Parameter Table or the Scenario Description or by some other means such as the color of the VP hex?

VMI Class of '00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:36 am 

nsimms wrote:
How will the players know if the scenario is using Standard Objective, Variable Objective, Per Turn Accrual, or Variable Per Turn Accrual? Will it be noted in the Parameter Table or the Scenario Description or by some other means such as the color of the VP hex?

Sheesh you keep making more work for me. :roll:
Editing my previous post.

3/1/II
AotP