American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:34 pm 

Anybody play Victory Games - The Civil War via Vassal? I am looking for an opponent, preferably Central, Mountain, or Pacific time zones.

email me: (leeferg2{AT}yahoo(DOT)com)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:37 am 

Hi Leeferg, Did you get any takers? I was looking to make the same proposal , but found you had anticipated me, except perhaps I was thinking of a pbem game, in which case time zones are not so critical.

General Andy Burke
Macon Valley Marauders
II Corps
Army of Georgia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:23 pm 

I went back and reviewed the game, and I am willing to try PBEM. I think the Vassal logfile and the concealed and unconcealed messages can handle a lot of the game mechanics. But, I would request we identify a third party die roller for combat and initiative determination. Let me know your thoughts.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:11 am 

Hi Lee(?)

Thanks for getting back.

I need a few days to read the rules again, it has been many years since I last played this great game.

I've not used VASSAL before, but note that the randomised die roles are recorded in the narrative above the board. Will this not do? Perhaps you are more expirenced and know a good reason why not.

Do you have a preference for sides? I, of course, prefer the rebs, but would be happy to have that decided by the first die role. I also prefer not to play with the Far West Option (mainly because I never have and that would be a few less rules to run through).

Army of Georgia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:47 am 

Yes,
I don't like the Far West Option either. (I never understood the point of the Option.) And I am fine playing the Union.

In regards to the third party die roller: unfortunately, I think there is some temptation with the game to re-start the logfile if the desired result is not achieved, whether that is initiative, or combat. My idea would be to allow one player to roll the other player's initiative and combat rolls (via a third party) to keep the game running.

Why don't we try a turn or two in the 1863 start to see how the mechanics go and refresh the rules? Then, would you be interested in a 61 or 62 start?

Lee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:38 am 

Hi Lee

As to the temptation to manipulate fate, "Secure Dice", (http://www.rpglibrary.org/software/securedice/), seems to provide the third party service you require, unless you know of another provider which you prefer?

I would rather just jump in and start at the beginning of 1861. I guess there will be a certain amount of feeling our way, but I think that may be easier while the positions are relatively simple. There will be other proticols we will need to establish, such as maybe in initiative rolls the Union is always first, and when checking for Officer Casualties in stacks/armies we check in rank and seniority order.

As to Optional Rules I suggest just playing "Jackson and Lyon are not killed"?

Hopefully the above is acceptable to you. I plan to get down to some serious revision later today. By the way, I'm using the "unofficial Wargame Academy (WGA) 3rd edition rulebook".

Army of Georgia