American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:36 pm 
Guys, while no longer an active member of the club I wouldn't mind some help.

I am taking the new lady friend to Gettysburg in November. She has never been there before so I'd like some insight on places to eat (non-national chain types) and inexpensive but nice places to stay. I've been to the Lincoln Diner before and plan to eat there at least once.

Is it worth going to eat at Herr' Tavern?

Any insight and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Lt. Col. Patrick D Gambill
Army of Northern Virginia
Jackson's Corps (Reserve Division)
Old Blue Light Brigade
"Never Take Council to your Fears!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:46 pm 
Depending on the length of your stay I guess there are plenty of places to try and eat. Herr Tavern is nice for a date.
In the main tourist area I always recommend Pickett's Buffet for it's all you can eat lunch around 8 bucks and dinner a couple dollars more plus extra for drinks/alcohol.
Also further down that street is Ginger Bread Man for a much higher price but nice inside.
In the town square one of the hotels looks old on the outside but has a couple rooms with hottubs.
Gasoline is cheaper there than York, which is also better than MD prices. Lancaster is the cheapest of all in that neck of the woods.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:55 pm 

Patrick
If`n ya want to impress the lady consider a side trip to Hershey(about 45 minutes). Cool little town all done up in chocolate motif. Ya have Hersheys amusement Park, the zoo, Chocolate World(free)and the town itself with its chocolate smell and chocolate lights and fascinating street names. If`n ya gal prefers Gettysburg to all that-MARRY HER!![8D]

Colonel Tony Best
Army of Georgia

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:00 am 

I am kind of partial to Dobbin House http://www.dobbinhouse.com/#THE%20SPRINGHOUSE%20TAVERN.

I have been to the Springhouse Tavern at Dobbin House a few times. Nice candlelit dining. You can hear the underground springs. The French Onion soup is superb (they call it Kings Onion Soup).

I am a little biased, though. I proposed to my wife there back in 1999.

Brigadier General Dale Lastowicka
1st "Adirondack" Division
XXV Corps
Army of the James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:57 am 

Hey Patrick,

If your lady friend has a "lady best friend", let me know and we can make it a foursome. (Please send recent photograph and income statement to my email)

Anyways....They redid Holiday Inn and it's within walking distance of everything, including tyhe Battlefield. It's right besides Jennis Wade house. Good food there too.....There are two bars within 100 yards of the Holiday Inn.....Pickett's Buffet is pretty good for the price. Dunlaps is a good place for breakfast and is on the othwer side of town oppposit the Holiday Inn. In my opinion, Herr Tavern is overpriced and rundown....Well it use to be if someone disagrees with me.

Oh yeah, I forgot, Notso's socks are stuffed in underneath the air conditioner in Room 217, so stay away from that room.....

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:10 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Andale Mono"><font size="4"><font color="pink">Hey Russ,

What about the Cashtown Tavern? Looked like a real nice B&B when we stopped there on our way to Gettysburg! Oh man I am already missing the place, I am going to have to have a return trip one of these years!

Patrick, do enjoy your time there and please let up know how things went! My door is always open for when you wish to return to active duty!

<font color="beige">Russ, you sound as if you are already invited! Ghosts, you never said anything about ghosts when we were there!</font id="beige">

Regards,

</font id="pink"></font id="size4"></font id="Andale Mono">

<font color="orange"><font size="4">Nick Kunz
[img]C:\FrontPage%20Webs\Content\library\vol_1\v1p2_files\CsaGenStaffB.gif[/img]
General
Commandant
Confederate States of America</font id="orange"></font id="size4">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:58 am 

Cashtown has ghosts and I don't know if they could lodge the four of us.....

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:37 pm 

General Lee's HQ the restaurant next to it is real good. General Lee's Sausage and the Yankee Pot Roast were to die for. Pickett's Buffet was good and reasonable. We stayed in Hanover, which had some real great places to eat, much cheaper than Gettysburg, and it is about 20-30 minutes from town and that is how we stumbbled onto the cavalry battlefield, which looked small at the start, but ended up being this huge drive almost 2 miles in length, we also ran across Benner's Hill, which you could miss too if you did not come from that way.

Herr Tavern is nice for a date, but pricey.

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Major General Scott "The Mad Prussian" Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Western Theater, CSA
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retired ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - INWC[/url]</center>