American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:37 pm 
Gents,

Since I am in Missouri until the middle of Dec. I thought it would be a good idea to go see some battlefields. I am at Ft Leonardwood near Waynesville. Springfield is about an hour away so I thougt I would start there. Wilson's Creek is my first stop this weekend, 21 Oct. Anyone in the area interested in joining me?

I am also planning on goin to New Madrid and Island number 10 on Veterans Day weekend, 10-12 Nov06 again anyone interested?

Dan

BG D.H. Smith

EN/2IN/III Corps/AoA

http://sapper99.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:41 pm 

Hi, General,

If you get down to New Madrid, you will be pretty close to Columbus, Ky, where they have some pretty good fortifications. Belmont is across the river but I don't remember much being there. Wilson's Creek is one of the better battlefields, imho. It was the subject of the last Preservation magazine.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:45 am 

I have never been to the battle sites in S. Mo or N. AR but I have been to the Columbus site in KY. I live not far from many sites, I live in Clarksville TN. But I seem never to have time between school and work.

GEN. Tony Malone
Commander Army of Mississippi
"Do your duty in all things, You can never do more, You should never wish to do less".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:43 am 

Sir
One more great Battlefield to see in Missouri is Pilot Knob State Battlefield Park In Ironton Missouri.Has earthworks still there from fort.Great Movie and very nice museum.Also General Grant recived his promotion to General in Ironton.They have a marker at the spot where he recived it. One mile from battlefield.
Lt Joseph Bukal
2nd Wis Badgers
Army Of Tennessee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:59 pm 

General Smith,

I used to live in Joplin, about an hour away from the Wilson's Creek battlefield, and I assisted the park with it's living history. It's a great little park.

Pea Ridge, in northwest Arkansas, is about another hour or so away -- another excellent (and very pristine) national military park.

Pilot Knob, at Ironton, is another place worth your time.

I haven't been to Lexington yet (where 'the battle of the hemp bales' was fought), so I can't say anything about that one up or down.

There are a lot of skirmish sites scattered all over Missouri, but these will keep you busy.

Let me know how Island No. 10 & New Madrid are -- my parents live very close to those, but I've never even been to those.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General & President-elect (outgoing Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America) & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:41 am 

Hi, General Smith,

If you are going by way of Pea Ridge, I recommend visiting Prairie Grove as well. It is one of the best state battlefield parks I have seen, and I think it is within 50 miles of Pea Ridge.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:18 am 
Well, I am back! What a great trip! If you have never been to Wilson's Creek you really should plan a trip.

Let me start by saying , DO NOT get your directions from Mapquest! The directions I got from there took me to a lumber yard in Springfield. Having discovered this, I made my way to the Battlefield on my own, and was only 20 mins late.

It rained all day, but this did not discourage me. The battlefield is very dynamic. No matter where you are you can see the area. I was amazed to see how close everything was on the field. For example; you can walk form Bloody Hill all the way back to Prices HQ. Its not that far. For my first stop I went to the Gibsons Mill site, and walked down to find the area where Union troops forded the creek. I then walked the 1 mile or so to Wire Road. From there I backtracked and came up thru Rays Cornfield,where part of the battle took place then back down thru the oatfield where Confederate forces had camped.

The next stop was the Ray house,which is one of two actual structors that were standing during the battle. This is where Confederate soldiers brought Gen Lyons body after Union soldiers left him on the field. They have the actual bed he laid in.

If I had one complaint it would be that Mother Nature has taken over. Obviously its been 200 yrs, and trees have grown. LOS is almost non-existant espically from Battery positions. For example; at Bloody Hill you cannot see the Confederate batteries of Guibors which are just across the field until you have gone approx 200 meters below Sokalskis Section of Union artilley. Further down are Tottens Batteries and you cannot see the Confederate batteries again. From the Confederate position you cannot see any of the Union Guns. Still, having walked up Bloody Hill across the field from what would have been Confederate positions you can get an idea of what it must have been like.

I could ramble on all day, as I spent a good five hours at the battlefield. All in all a great trip and I fully recommend it.

Pis to posted somewhere soon.

Dan

BG D.H. Smith

EN/2IN/III Corps/AoA

http://sapper99.com