American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ACW Board Wargames
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:41 pm 

Officers of the club:

I've just found out about a local wargaming club that meets once a month. With a schedule like that, I might just start dabbling there again! :-)

The guy I contacted mentioned they play all sorts of games in all sorts of genres. He did mention "A House Divided" (which he called a strategic-level ACW game) and "Battle Cry" (he designated a tactical ACW game). Are any of you familiar with these?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:55 am 

Hi, General,

I have played House Divided many times. While it is a general and inaccurate model of the Civil War, it is an excellent game. I have never figured out the advanced rules, but the basic game involves starting with militia infantry on both sides; 12 for the Union, 8 for the Confederate. You roll a die to determine how many marches you get, and with those marches you move or entrench. You get a promotion a turn and an additional promotion for each victory. As you promote militia, they become available to recruit as reinforcements. The size of your army depends on how many friendly city points you control. Units, which are generic, can essentially receive two promotions; from militia to veteran or veteran to crack, for both infantry and cavalry. The defensive advantage is first fire in every fire phase. Movement is river, rail, road, or by sea (for the Union).

I think Battle Cry is an Avalon Hill game involving toy soldiers and
dice. I have never played it, but have looked at it. The mechanics seem pretty basic. I think you can find the rules at Avalon Hill website or somewhere else on the internet.

I think these are both examples of the simple, fun games commonly referred to as beer and pretzel, although I have found House Divided to be quite balanced and challenging. If properly played it can take awhile to finish a game, even though it is only 40 turns max.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:17 am 

Hi, General,

You can check out some pictures of the components of House Divided here.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/701

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:43 am 

Victory Games produced an excellant ACW game. Also you have the old TSS and Great Battles of the Civil War. The closest thing to the BG/HPS series. Also Avalon Hill produced one of my favorite civil war games complete with a Jackson MOD. Most haven't been able to survive the advent of PBEM.

Brig. Gen. Phil Driscoll
1st Brigade/1st Division/VCorps/AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:38 am 
Hre is a link to the official rules for Battle Cry

http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/battlecry.pdf

and a few resources the game,

http://www.thewargamer.com/battlecry/resources.html

I do not own the game, but have been thinking about buying it myself, I hope this helps you make your decision.

Lt. Colonel Ed Stewart
2nd Brig, 3rd Div,
III Corps, ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:16 pm 

Take a laptop with you and play hot seat with 'em. They'll love the HPS titles.

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:55 am 

Battlecry is Ok. A board game with miniatures. Easy to learn and easy to play, and you can play a couple of battles in a sitting. If you are not a "grognard" (hardcore) gamer you might well enjoy it. A step up from what might be called a beer and pretzel game. A House Divided is also rather easy to learn and play at a different scale. Where Battlecry is somewhere between what I would call operational/tactical with a generic map, A House Divided is clearly strategic with a historical map that includes the west as well as the east and uses a "box" to "box" connected movement system. You would not be likely to play it to conclusion in one sitting.

If you were to want an indept simulation of the Civil War on a Strategic/operational level you might ask the club if anyone has "The Civil War" by a now defunct publisher called Victory Games. Or "The War for the Union" by GMT games. All of these games, and many more of course, are often seen on eBay for various prices and occasionally you can catch one of them at non-shake down prices. But they are all out of print now. There is also a quite nice operational/tactical (feel) series of games from SPI (Simulations Publications Inc) long out of print but available on eBay often and from sellers on Consimworld. They are collectively called Great Battles of the American Civil War...a number of titles in the series: Drive on Washington, Pea Ridge, Jackson at the Crossroads, Cedar Mountain, Wilson's Creek and others. Contrary to general opinion Boardgaming is not dead. Acually I must say though that the TS Battleground Civil Wargames are VERY much like the Great Battles of the American Civil War series BUT the computer does all the non-fun work like calculating odds and such and the FOW makes the computer games much more realistic. These few are only the tip of the iceberg. There are easily over a hundred civil war boardgames both in and out of print by many different publishers. To www.grogards.com for the most definitive list of all such paper wargames (as well a computer and miniature wargames).

Also one thing about playing paper wargames face to face as is said,is that is a very social experience...like playing a game hotseat on the computer. Hope this is of some help. Probably more than you wanted to know.

Tom Ciampa,Cadet E-0, not yet assigned a unit.
Formerally A LtCol.
AOC/XX/3rd Div/4th Bgde