American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:49 pm 

Ok Larry, now its time for lessons with the Librarian... [:)]

Who is the author/author's.

On the inside of the book, first couple of pages. On the title page there should be the publisher, let me know who it is and what city is listed.

On the opposite of the title page is the title verso page or TP with all sorts of fun numbers and letters. If you can find the copyright year, please let me know. Or just give me all the years listed. I will see what info I can gather from them.

If you can send these two pages by a scanner image that would be great too. [:)]

Most likely I have all the data already for the book. I just want to confirm it.

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Lieutenant General Scott "The Mad Prussian" Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Western Theater, CSA
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retired ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - INWC[/url]</center>

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:05 pm 

A great book, bought a copy at Gettysburg in the 80's. It covers the whole war in great detail, a great reference tool. I use it all the time.

The only problem is that it weighs a ton and you can only read it when it's on a table.

General Pierre D.
Army of Georgia

ACWGC President
May 1997-Oct. 2006

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:36 am 

Here's the info for the book. I assume it is this one:

Author(s): Guernsey, Alfred H. 1824-1902. (Alfred Hudson),
Alden, Henry Mills,; 1836-1919.
Publication: New York : Gramercy Books,
Year: 1997, <b>1866</b>
Description: 836 p. : ill., maps ; 37 cm.
Language: English
Standard No: ISBN: 051718334X

The original title is:

"Pictorial history of the Civil War; Harper's history of the Great Rebellion; Harper's pictorial history of the Great Rebellion."

Heres info about the authors:

Henry Mills Alden
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Henry Mills Alden (1836-1919) was an American editor and author, born at Mount Tabor near Danby, Vt. He graduated at Williams College in 1857 and at the Andover Theological Seminary in 1860. Though he was licensed to preach, he chose other fields of endeavor. From 1863 to 1869 he was managing editor of Harper's Weekly, and in the latter year became editor of Harper's Monthly. In 1863-64, he lectured before the Lowell Institute, Boston, on "The Structure of Paganism." He was known as a classical student of large acquirements, particularly in connection with Greek literature and thought; and his first literary ventures were two articles contributed to the Atlantic on the Eleusinian Mysteries.

His personality pervaded Harper's Magazine during his long editorial service, which was unobtrusive but distinctive. He deigned to recognize the novice and to encourage the best kind of Americanism. He collaborated with A. H. Guernsey in the preparation of Harper's Pictorial History of the Great Rebellion (1862-65). His publications include a poem, The Ancient Lay of Sorrow (1872), two profound metaphysical essays, God in His World (1890, published anonymously), and A Study of Death (1895), both extensively read and enthusiastically received by critics, and Magazine Writing and the New Literature (1908). With William Dean Howells he edited numerous collections of stories by American writers. He was an early member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters.

Most data aboved confirmed from the source listed below.

Alfred Hudson Guernsey, journalist; born in Brandon, VT., May 12, 1818; connected with <i>Harper's Magazine</i> from 1850 to 1869 as contributor and editor; associated editor of the <i>American Cyclopedia</i>. With Henry Mills Alden he wrote H<i>arper's Pictoral History of the Great Rebellion</i>. He died in New York, Jan. 17, 1902.

Source:

Lossing, Benson John, 1813-1891.:

H<i>arper's encyclopæia of United States history from 458 A.D. to 1905</i>, based upon the plan of Benson John Lossing...with special contributions covering every phase of American history and development by eminent authorities...with a preface on the study of American history by Woodrow Wilson..

New York [etc.] Harper & brothers, 1905..

10 v. illus. 24 cm.

I'm going to see if I can find the value of the book.

Hope this helps Larry.

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - INWC[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:08 am 

The book is anywhere from $35 - $135 dollars in value depending on the publisher, publication year et al.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:37 pm 

Hi Larry!

As a matter of interest . . . is Your copy Leatherbound?

If so - You might be tickled to know that LB copies are selling for $500 on Amazon. OK - that's "Brand New", but it would increase the value of any other copy type . . . pro rata, providing it was in good condition.

M'be that Neighbour of Yours is looking for something in Her Christmas Stocking (s). [:p]

Be <i>very </i>Careful Suh!!! [:o)]

Pat.

Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Lieutenant General.
Carroll's Corps,(II)
"Spartan Southrons"
Army of Georgia.
C.S.A.Cabinet Secretary

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "