American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Disruption
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:03 am 

Gentlemen,

I am in the process of training a cadet for West Point and he reports something rather unusual:

"I was still getting units on BOTH sides highlighted when I click on the the D in the toolbar making me think that they are disrupted. HOWEVER, I noticed that they are hexes in which there are leaders and the leaders are ON TOP. If you click OFF leaders on top, and then hit the D tool, THERE IS NO HIGHLIGHTING. That looks like a bug to me i.e. clicking on the D when leaders are ON TOP highlights the leaders not disrupted units...it may be that when you highlight disrupted units when you HAVE disrupted units, that the engine also shows you were all your leaders are. I can't believe that it is a bug just in this scenario somehow because (try it) IF YOU OPEN SOME OTHER SCENARIO, the same thing happens. IF leaders are ON TOP and you hit the D tool it highlights the leaders. If you turn off Leaders on top, and you click on the D tool, nothing is highlighted...unless you have disrupted leaders."

Disrupted leaders? That is not possible. Note, we are using the the Gettysburg training scenario. Any idea of what this cadet is seeing or are we looking at some sort of bug or corruption in his files? Any input would be appreciated.

BG Randy Hartwig
1/IX/AoO, USA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:17 pm 

Yea he pick the wrong side to fight for[:p]

Respectfully,

Col. Gery Bastiani
3rd Division, II Corp AotM

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:05 pm 

I do not believe this is a bug or if it is it is a useful one. With leaders on top and turning on the highlight D'd units you will highlight all officers that failed their command check. If you look at the highlighted leaders counter you will note their command rating is in yellow indicationg they failed their last command check. I have used this in the past when using a house rule that such officers cannot move adjacent to the enemy. Makes for a more realistic game and much lower casualties.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:49 pm 

Thanks Gen. Miller, that explanation makes sense. I have never used that particular rule.

BG Randy Hartwig
1/IX/AoO, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:07 am 

Thank you General. I am sorry that my description was so convoluted. I appreciate the answer and the insight. I like the comment that if it is a bug is it a useful one. I did not notice the yellow command ratings and that also explains why some of them were NOT highlighted with D tool.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by krmiller</i>
<br />I do not believe this is a bug or if it is it is a useful one. With leaders on top and turning on the highlight D'd units you will highlight all officers that failed their command check. If you look at the highlighted leaders counter you will note their command rating is in yellow indicationg they failed their last command check. I have used this in the past when using a house rule that such officers cannot move adjacent to the enemy. Makes for a more realistic game and much lower casualties.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Tom Ciampa,Cadet E-0, not yet assigned a unit.
Formerally A LtCol.
AOC/XX/3rd Div/4th Bgde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:09 am 

Thanks. That was a helpful comment.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boilertech</i>
<br />Yea he pick the wrong side to fight for[:p]

Respectfully,

Col. Gery Bastiani

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Formerally A LtCol.
AOC/XX/3rd Div/4th Bgde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:01 am 

That is just Col. Bastiani tweaking my nose, he is one of my esteemed opponents who is trying to teach me the error of my ways at a little hole in the mud called Logan's Crossroads with an invitation to some place called Shiloh.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tciampa</i>
<br />Thanks. That was a helpful comment.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boilertech</i>

Respectfully,

Col. Gery Bastiani

Formerally A LtCol.
AOC/XX/3rd Div/4th Bgde

BG Randy Hartwig
1/IX/AoO, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:46 am 

My profuse apology Sir! Mr. Bastiani...I was confused. Now I understand that you were taking a good-natured shot at General Hartwig. I am new to the discussion board and I saw that USA to the side and thought you were a fellow Blue Belly who didn't want me in your army [:I] Now I see that "USA" was where you hail from...just a dumb newbie...sorry. I have it straight now and also have it on good authority that the esteemed Colonel is quite a Southern Officer and commander. If I pass muster as a cadet maybe we can have a game and I can make it up to you by giving you an easy mark.

Have a safe, enjoyable New Year's celebration and a healthy and prosperous 2007. [:)]

Respectfully,

Col. Gery Bastiani

Formerally A LtCol.
AOC/XX/3rd Div/4th Bgde