American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:17 am 
I've just taken delivery of a new system which has Windows Vista loaded. Have loaded and patched my games properly but I'm having problems with Gettysburg showing replays. It works just fine if I skip them but there's too much going on for that not to become a real drawback. Anyone have any ideas? Perhaps it's something other than the OS.

Gen. Den McBride
Congaree Swamp Rifles
III Corps, ANV
C.S.A.
swampfox_csaATyahoo.ca
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:49 am 

Sorry, I don't have an answer.

But I was just curious, is it HPS Gettysburg, and have you tried any other title besides Gettysburg?

Rich

Capt. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:50 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />Sorry, I don't have an answer.

But I was just curious, is it HPS Gettysburg, and have you tried any other title besides Gettysburg?

Rich

Capt. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Rich,

First of all, thanks for your interest. It is HPS Gettysburg. I've just fired up HPS Peninsula and it works fine, so am now reinstalling Gettysburg. We'll see how that works. I'm pretty sure my opponent is using the same version (1.01). Will keep you posted. If anyone else has any Vista tips or problems re HPS or TS I'd be happy to hear them.

Gen. Den McBride
Congaree Swamp Rifles
III Corps, ANV
C.S.A.
swampfox_csaATyahoo.ca
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:14 am 
Okay, more on this (as opposed to "moron" this, which may yet prove to be the case). I did an uninstall of my HPS Gttysburg and then reinstalled & patchd up to vers. 1.01. I still have the same problem though in that I can choose to skip the replay and everything is just fine but if I choose to view the replay I get the message "Error reading from replay file". BTW, I had deleted all the other files that come along when you're progressing a turn (the .bto and campaign.xxx & yyy files) before each attempt. In case it was some new development in the current game I'm playing I went back into my e-mail and loaded a month old HPS Gettysburg campaign turn from a game Mark Nelms and I were playing previously. Still the same thing... it's okay if I skip replay, a Replay Error message if I try to watch it.

I'm a little stumped.

Gen. Den McBride
Congaree Swamp Rifles
III Corps, ANV
C.S.A.
swampfox_csaATyahoo.ca
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:07 am 

I would try to start a PBEM game against myself and try the replay.

Capt. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:22 am 

I would recommend doing what Rich said, start a PBEM with yourself. This will elliminate all external influences.

Also, you may want to repeat the uninstall but after uninstalling go to the folder the game was located in and delete that too. I have had problems carry over due to the unistall not removing all the files particularly those created by the game saves.

Uninstall, delete, reinstall. Start a sort scenario game of PBEM inder version 1.0 and play both sides. This will verify whether the game is having a problem with reading the replay file it creates.

If this works then install the update and repeat again. If it works then the problem has something to do with files from you opponent. If it fails then there is a compatibility problem with Vista. Can't help you there since I don't have it. You might check to see if it has compatibility modes like XP had.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:12 am 

...are you sure you loaded the game file into the correct game folder? ...it's happened before ya know. [:D]

Col. Boyd Denner
"Alabama Brigade"
1/3/III
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:46 am 

Den,

I am having the same problem with Ozark. I can skip the replay and it works fine. However, if I try to view the replay I get the error message.

Further, I have single battles going in several other games (Corinth, Peninsula, Wagram, NRC) and the replays work fine. My one campaign I cannot view the replay.

By the way my Vista is 32 bit and it was a full install (not an upgrade) on a blank hard drive. Also having problems with BG games (see other post).

Major General Dale Lastowicka
1st "Adirondack" Division
XXV Corps
Army of the James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:36 pm 
Dale,

I feel your pain. I've ben working away at this most of the weekend. My Vista is also 32 bit, also a new installation. So far I've done about 4 uninstalls and the reinstallations of HPS Gettysburg. I even went so far as to open up a brand new copy of the game I'd been keeping on hand for the last couple of years. In every case it would not allow me to view replays in campaign (.cpf) mode, even if I started a match with myself, made a few moves, advanced the turn and then tried to play the other side of the match. I keep getting the error message.

It's getting frustrating. I can see that my Peninsula looks to be working fine Will try the others over the next few days. If anyone else is having a Vista problem related to HPS titles (or for that matter the TS BG titles) please chime in.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dalelast</i>
<br />Den,

I am having the same problem with Ozark. I can skip the replay and it works fine. However, if I try to view the replay I get the error message.

Further, I have single battles going in several other games (Corinth, Peninsula, Wagram, NRC) and the replays work fine. My one campaign I cannot view the replay.

By the way my Vista is 32 bit and it was a full install (not an upgrade) on a blank hard drive. Also having problems with BG games (see other post).

XXV Corps
Army of the James

Gen. Den McBride
Congaree Swamp Rifles
III Corps, ANV
C.S.A.
swampfox_csaATyahoo.ca
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:05 pm 

If you send an email to HPS support, you might get a workable answer.[;)]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:29 am 
Thanks Ernie, just sent a message off this afternoon. They're usually quite responsive. Will keep y'all posted. In the meanwhile, if someone sees a twist on this or more are having problems, either pitch in here or send something off to HPS Customer Support. Your info may help them to understand the nature of the problem and to decide ow much resource to dedicate to it, in light of the problem's impact on current and futurwe titles & sales.

Kennon, thanks as well. Vista does have a compatability option but it didn't make a difference when I set Campaign Gettysburg back to Windows XP mode (though I'd been playing successfully with XP before). Out of personal preference I actually install each HPS game into it's own folder on my hard drive, so when I do an uninstall there's really no parent folder or residue left over.

Man, this is a bummer. I've just started 3 MP games and I realy hate to let people down. [:(]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ernie Sands</i>
<br />If you send an email to HPS support, you might get a workable answer.[;)]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Gen. Den McBride
Congaree Swamp Rifles
III Corps, ANV
C.S.A.
swampfox_csaATyahoo.ca
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:47 am 
It looks like HPS has people on the case re Vista, though for the moment they're thinking John Tiller's titles are not play impacted. I'm sure they'll check this a little more and a fix will be along. Check out: http://www.hpssims.com/vistahelp.htm

Hey Bill, I'll get something off to you seperately to give you my impressions of Vista. Generally I like it but being able to play these games, or not being able to, is a big consideration for me so I don't yet have the sunny disposition which I'm sure I soon will. [B)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />For those of you thinking of reinstalling DOS 6.0 ... our products dont work with it! [:D]

Ok, here is one try: have you tried out the Emulation modes that usually come with a MS OS?

Perhaps there is a XP emulation mode?

Just a thought ...

Bill Peters

Gen. Den McBride
Congaree Swamp Rifles
III Corps, ANV
C.S.A.
swampfox_csaATyahoo.ca
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:56 am 

All,

I just sent HPS an e-mail as well. I hope the more e-mails will generate quick results. Not HPS's fault though. Definitely a Microsoft thing. I have confidence that HPS will take care of things. I am concerned about the BG games, though, considering they are no longer supported anywheres.

XXV Corps
Army of the James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:37 am 

I've got a free Vista upgrade coming in awhile, but I think at best I'll dual-boot until I'm sure everthing's going to work adequately. Of course, that's not an option for new systems with pre-loaded Vista...

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:11 am 
I have a helpful reply back from HPS indicating they've got folks working on Windows Vista compatability issues with their product line. They're asking for some patience while they do their research so that when they come out with patches they're as comprehensive as they can possibly be.

Sounds reasonable to me but I'll have to ask my Campaign partners and opponents to please hang in. My stand alone pbem battle (i.e. .bte files) games seem to be okay but the pbem Campaign mode replays... not so much. [xx(]

Gen. Den McBride
Congaree Swamp Rifles
III Corps, ANV
C.S.A.
swampfox_csaATyahoo.ca
ImageImageImage