American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AI taking too many shots
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:51 am 

Here's something I thuoght was happening on occaision, but just confirmed for myself. In a phased game with Automatic Defensive Fire on, I was under the impression that each individual unit would be fired once by the AI in each defensive fire phase. For a while now I thought that periodically while watching the replay of my oppnonents turn, that the AI would occaisionally take more than one shot with a unit or two. Well, in the most recent turn I openned and watched in a game of Corinth, 4 shots came out of a hex with only 3 units and then 3 shots came out of a hex with only 2 units.

Has anyone else expereinced this or does any one have any kind of explanation?

Thanks for your help.

Col. Bill Spitz
3rd Division
V Corps
Army of the Potomac

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:36 am 

Hi, Colonel,

I believe multiple shots are built into the system. That is why defensive fire is at half rate. If you watch the artillery, no matter how many times an artillery unit fires in defensive opportunity fire, it will only use up one round of ammo. Unfortunately, the system is flawed, because a lot of times units don't even fire once, even when an enemy unit marches adjacent and lets fly. The end result is that the offense usually ends up with the advantage. Which is a shame, because the single phase is more fun to play. I have suggested that at least any unit that didn't fire defensively get to shoot at full strength when the turn is ended, but there was no further discussion. A lot of folks have reverted to phased play because of the imbalance. Hope this helps.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:33 am 

Thanks Mike, but this happened in a PHASED game. I fully understand that units in a non-phased game will shoot more than once, but this was a phased game, with no opportunity fire, only the defensive fire phase, where a unit fires at full strength (and it was my understanding) only once, while using automated defensive fire to allow the AI to conduct that fire to save on e-mails. But as I said, I distinctly watched four shots come from a hex with three units and then three shots come from a hex with only two units. I think this needs to be looked into.

Col. Bill Spitz
3rd Division
V Corps
Army of the Potomac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:18 am 

Hi, Bill,

My mistake for not reading. I have never had that happen to me in phased play. If you have saved the file, I would send it to HPS support. They have always been very helpful. If the file is no longer
available, I guess give them the scenario and what options were checked. Hopefully they will be able to figure it out.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:16 am 

Hi Mike,

No problem, my friend. I do thank you for your advice, which I will be taking.

Col. Bill Spitz
3rd Division
V Corps
Army of the Potomac