American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:12 am 

A ceremony was held to honor a changing of the guard at one of the Unions finest institutions, as General Matt Perrenod relieved General Kelly Ross as Commandant at West Point. It was a brisk but clear day, with many of the Washington notables in attendance. The cadets were turned out in their finst uniforms, brass all polished, bayonets gleaming, and cannon lined up for the salute - pointed south, of course![:D]

General Ross has been at West Point for over 5 years, the second longest tenured major commander in the Union Army, at probably the busiest institution we have. His has been the most important of jobs within the Club, and he has performed it in an exemplary fashion. He and his team of trainers have welcomed many hundreds of us into this fine Club and hobby, getting us over that initial hump of learning and off onto the battlefields and posting boards to enjoy ourselves. We will all miss his steady hand of leadership, and hope his travels don't take him too far. Please join me in thanking him for his many contributions! In honor of his service, dedication, and leadership, I hereby award the Medal of Honor to General Kelly Ross. Thank you, sir!

I also want to take time to thank General Matt Perrenod for his willingness to step into this role. We could not have asked for a better, more qualified replacement at West Point. Matt's service to our Army and Club is varied and extensive, and this is just another chance for him to show his mettle! Matt has been serving as Commander, VIII Corps in the AoS, and will be handing over the reins there. In gratitude for his leadership there, I hereby award the Distinguished Service Medal to General Perrenod!

Gnetlemen, my thanks and congratulations to you both!

Huzzah!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:29 am 

Gentlemen forgive me for not being able to attend the ceremony in honor of Generals Ross and Perrenod. But the Officer's Club is open and the first drink is on me. Congratulations to both officers.

Gen Dave Danner
Army Commander
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:15 am 

Army of Ohio, PRESENT ARMS!

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:33 am 

Gentlemen,

My congratulations to both officers.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)
CCC - Lieutenant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:10 pm 

Gentlemen,

Having served with Gen Kelly for several years as an instructor at West Point I know how much his service has meant to the Union army. I wish to thank him and wish him the best in his future endeavors.

As to Gen Perrenod, I recall a new lieutenant showing up to take command of the 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, VIII Corps several years ago. That young lieutenant has developed into one of our best officers, serving as the first commander of the AoS Militia Division where he assisted our new lieutenants in getting started in the club and later as VIII Corps commander where I had the pleasure of serving under him as a division commander then as his army commander. As AoS commander I will miss his steady hand at the command of the VIII Corps but I'm sure he will do an excellent job as Commandant.

Now gentlemen as it appears you've used up all of Gen Danner's money I guess I can spring for the next round.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:17 pm 

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Lieutenant General Scott "The Mad Prussian" Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Western Theater, CSA
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retired ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - INWC[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:46 am 

Thank you all for your kind words. But the greatest reward is knowing that 200 new Union officers passed through West Point during my 5 year tenure as commandant. I think new members are the lifeblood of the club, and just looking at the names of the graduates over the past 5 years -- names like Corbin, Hartwig, Golen, Laub, and others too numerous to mention -- only confirms how valuable new membership is.

Matt Perrenod has been an outstanding instructor, and I have no doubt that West Point will become stronger under his leadership.

And now I can get back to playing more games!

Regards,

Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:19 am 

Kelly, thanks for all the years of fine service as CoC. You have helped to swell our ranks with some fine officers. Matt best of luck to you. West Point is in good hands.[;)]

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
II/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:00 am 

I very well recall the moment when Kelly was appointed commandant of West Point, because it was the day when he vacated the position that I took over on the same day, Commandant of the War College. In other words, he has served in charge of one of our educational institutions even longer than those astonishing five years at the Point. My hat is off to him for his dedication to the cause.

And the same goes of course for Matt, with whom I have had the honor to serve together longer than with anyone else in the Union army. When I was first assigned, in spring 2001, to the 3rd Brigade of the 2nd Division, VIII Corps, Army of the Shenandoah, the legendary old Corcoran's Legion, he was already there as commander of the 1st Brigade. At the War College, he was my Assistant Commandant. When I commanded the Army of the Shenandoah, he was commander of the VIII Corps of that army. We have fought side by side, together with Mike Dean, Niall Murphy and Les Knight, all of the old 2/VIII, in multiplayer games continuously from 2001 to this very day. In short, wherever I was in six years of service to the Union army, Matt was there with me. West Point could not be in better hands.

A devoted salute to two old veterans, excellent comrades and selfless servants to the cause, two of the finest officers I have known.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:50 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Andale Mono"><font size="4"><font color="pink">Gentlemen! <salute>

To my dear Kelly Ross, thank you for your assistance over the past year and a half. It has been my pleasure to get to know you! Your leadership has set the standard for the rest of us to follow! All the best in your future endeavors!

Matt Perrenod, congratulations on your selection as the new Commandant at West Point! I look forward to a contiuned relationship to help strengthen the new blood coming into this great Club! I am at your service Sir for anything I may be of assistance with! All the very best to your continued success!

Respectfully,

</font id="pink"></font id="size4"></font id="Andale Mono">

<font color="orange"><font size="4">Nick Kunz
General
Commandant
Cabinet Secretary
Confederate States of America</font id="orange"></font id="size4">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:57 am 
The Staff of the War College extend their sincere thanks to Gen Ross for his long and honourable career. We also wish to welcome Gen Perrenod in his new command and look forward to his carrying on the great tradition established by Gen Ross.

On a personal note I want to say that Gen Perrenod has been my CO for pretty much my whole time with the ACWGC and I compliment the Union on the excellent choice for a successor to Gen Ross.

Good luck to both of you Gentlemen!

<center>Gen Mike Kaulbars
Commandant
Union Army War College

Image</center>

<center><font size="4"><i>"Intel gives us the edge..."</i></font id="size4">
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:09 am 

Congratulations and thanks to both fine officers.[8D]

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]XO, Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:09 pm 

General Ross: Thanks you for all your dedicated hard work. I can only imagine the amount of effort needed to keep things running as smoothly as you did.

General Perrenod: We are in fine hands indeed. Congratulations on your new command.

<salute>

General Jeff Bangma
Commander, Army of the Potomac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:17 pm 

My hat is off to Gen. Ross, who is the only West Point Commandant I can remember. He's provided tremendous service to the Club, and I am deeply honored to be selected to succeed him. I hope I can live up to his example.

Thanks to all my friends in the Club for their kind words. This next round is on me.

Lt. Gen. Matt Perrenod
<i>The Blue Ghost</i>
VIII Corps, Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:23 pm 

Kelly, I don't have the foggiest idea how good of a job that you did at West Point except that the doors always managed to stay open. However, if you put on a clinic for them like you did every time that you played me, then even the dumbest of the dumbest (that's right, worse than dumb and dumber) had to learn something. I used to tell my people that I would swear that you see mathematical equations and not units every time that the game opened up. I've had my fill of saluting rank but I'll salute Kelly Ross anytime - SALUTE!

Lt Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.