American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Union Army Restructuring
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:07 am 

Officers of the Union,

Over the past several months, your Army Command Staff has been discussing major changes to the Union Army and how we are structured and organized.

These discussions have been necessary for several reasons:

- WE continue to struggle to find willing volunteers to fill command spots, from Division on up. (If you would like to be considered for these spots, please make sure your Army Commander knows!)
- Participation is more fun with a strong nucleus within any organization. Our current organization spreads us too thin.
- Recruiting has been slowly declining, to the point that each army sees roughly a new recruit only every 3-4 months.

<font size="5"><i>The proposal we came up with was to retire the Army of the James within the Eastern Theater.</i></font id="size5">

We would transfer one full Corps to the army of the potomac, and disperse the remaining 2 Divisions within the AoS and AoP. The Eastern Theater Command Group are working on the details of making this change. Our intent is to allow for the impacted members have as much a say in where they go as possible.

This helps us with the concerns above by:

A - Reducing the number of command positions, allowing us to have enough bandwidth to fill the remaining spots.
B - Filling out Divisions and Corps, so that people have greater activity around them within thier own organizations.
C - Armies will see new recruits more frequently, as they is now 1 less Army in the rotation for new recruits.

This past month, we presented this proposed set of changes to the Cabinet for approval, since our Club rules require that action. The Cabinet voted unanimously in approval.

I would anticipate that this is only the first phase in a series of changes towards reorganizing and restructuring the Union Army. Questions of any sort are certainly welcome, wither by reply here at the message board, or you can send couriers to me at jdlaub@msn.com.

We should expect to see the final report on who is going where this month, as presented by the Eastern Theater group.

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:51 am 

Gentlemen,

As Commander of the XXV Corps AoJ your plans greatly impact me and my boys. Which Corps were you thinking of transferring intact? I have been very purposfully keeping my Division active by muylti-player games, I currently have one with each Division, though one is on hold waiting Willie Tisdale's Computer to return to active duty. As dutiful Soldiers we will go where ever ordered, but we will miss the AoJ. As an Ohio Boy I would enjoy transfer to the AoO, or as the Killer Angles Corps perhaps the AoP would be nice.

Your Obedient servant,

Lt Gen Joseph C. Mishurda

ImageImage

Lt General Joseph C. Mishurda,
"Killer Angels"
XXV Corps, AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:01 am 

To all my officers in the AoJ

I was aware of this restructuring and felt for the reasons outlined
that something had to be done.

Rest assured that the retiring of the AoJ was not done lightly or out of some mistaken idea that we are not a worthy army. Nothing could be further from the truth !!!

It has been an honor to command such loyal and brave me such as yourselves.

I will keep you posted as to developments .

<center>Image
General John Corbin
Commanding officer
Army of The James
USA</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:22 pm 

I'll wholeheartedly echo General Corbins accounts. The Army of the James has been one of the finest groups in this whole shooting match! There were reasons to keep each and every on of the 3 Eastern Armies, and also reasons to retire each of the 3.

Given the proud history associated with all of our Armies, retiring any one of them was a tough choice. Given the size comparisons, relative history, and ability to intergrate, I felt the AoJ was the best choice.

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:31 pm 
It's a sad thing to see such an honorable army retired and I would feel the same if the AOS was retired. [8)] But on the bright side if anyone transferes to the AOS welcome sirs Long Live The Republic!!!

Captain Gary Christian
3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:13 pm 

Three+ years ago I joined the ACWGC with the intentions of signing up with the AOC (have always liked General George Thomas). However, my trainer was from the AOJ and they were looking for recruits. So, I joined the AOJ instead. It has been a great ride that I hate to see ending. But I understand the reasons for doing so. 2 well-stocked armies would be far better than the current setup of 3 armies with gaping holes in them. So I look forward to fighting them Rebs as a member of another Union Army. But will always appreciate our AOJ.

Major General Dale Lastowicka
1st "Adirondack" Division
XXV Corps
Army of the James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:41 pm 

It is a sad day to see an Army being decommissioned, and a slow recuitment into the club. But General Lastowicka suh, you can always do what Col. Quick did [:D], maybe you could even join as a Col. [:o)]. Give it some thought and maybe talk with General Moose or Col. Quick and get the paper work going. <Salute>.

Respectfully,

Brig. Gen. Gery Bastiani
3rd Division, II Corp, Tarheel Division AotM

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:21 pm 

Sirs,

Unfortunately, I am riderless at present - my pc (and home email) is in "repair mode" - and my remount is not due to arrive until shortly after Easter. So please bear with an old commander who is stumbling about on foot.

"A horse! A horse! My Corps, for a horse!" doesn't seem to to get there, really.[:I]

As the other Corps Commander in the Army of the James and like Gen Lastowicka, I regret the necessity [:(] and I welcome the change for the better.[^]

I have lost sight of the "Tavern in a Tent" as it plows its way onto Richmond, leaving me far behind at present, so am somewhat surprised to discover this turn of events in the general forum. That it is here probably does mean that a seperate email concerning my new appointment and that for my Corps' (or is that seperate divisions?) is floating about somewhere.

To all the members of the XVIII Corps, past and present. Gentlemen, I wish you well in all your endeavours, in real life and in the ACWGC. General Corbin, sir, thankyou for your leadership and the Corps' officers and myself wish you all the best for your future, too.

I will continue to serve the Union as my superior officers allow.

Gentlemen, a cheer for the Union, Huzzah!

Lt Gen Mark Oakford
(for the present) Commander XVIII Corps, AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:06 am 
I'd like to take a moment to salute the AoJ, which has done the Union and the ACWGC proud for a number of years. No doubt I can look forward to the same standard of drubbings at the hands of the same fine officers, with minor amendments to their signature lines.

Beyond that, I'd like to applaud the maturity of the members in how this is being dealt with... from the Cabinet, through the Union & AoJ command groups and on down through the AoJ's divisional and brigade commanders. There'd have been a time in the Club when this might have signalled the start of a grand b***ching session (something which might just as likely have happened on the CSA side). I'm looking on from across the lines but from here the tone of this discussion sends me a really positive message about the Club's health, whether we're in a recruiting lull or not.

Gen. Den McBride
Congaree Swamp Rifles
"Fightin' for The Cause since '97"
III Corps, ANV
C.S.A.
swampfox_csa(at)yahoo.ca
ImageImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:26 am 

I'd like to salute the AoJ too. I agree with Gen McBride's comments too. This has all been handled very well.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]XO, Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:39 pm 

Attention,shoulder arms, ready, aim, fire. The 3rd Div, IICorps AotM firing off a 21 gun Salute to the AoJ and the fine men that made up this fine outfit. But look forward to meeting these fine gentlemen again on the battlefield in another unit. Of course the guns were aimed north towards the AOP [:D]

Respectfully,

Brig. Gen. Gery Bastiani

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:57 pm 

Col. Quick,
I don't know what I had done for you to cuss me out, calling me a swabbie [:(!]. My dad was a retired tincan sailor, and uncle was a WWII bubblehead, but me I'm a dirt sailor "Seabee" 22 yrs. been retired 10 yrs now. So I do know something about muskets "M14 and M16" types. While I was in a battalion we had a token Gunny Sgt. who was in charge of our military training while we were in homeport. But I think Mr. Peters, and Mr. Sands are former Marinesssssssss. Know what S**T sounds like going through a fan......Marine [:0]
I think Ed Blackburn is a former Club Med "Air Force" person.
Respectfully,

Brig. Gen. Gery Bastiani

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:10 pm 

I'm saddened to see the passing of the AoJ, my first Army command. Put a lot of my heart and soul into that organization. However, I also contemplated its disbandment during my tenure ad CoA so I know the circumstances that caused it's retirement. The AoJ may be retired but it will always hold a proud place of honor in my history.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:00 am 

It is always sad to see such things happen, I know we all want to see our club expand. While the colors may be folded for a time, we can hope to see them unfold in the future. SALUTE!

GEN. Tony Malone
Commander Army of Mississippi
"Do your duty in all things, You can never do more, You should never wish to do less".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:49 am 

In memory of the proud Army of the James the Western Theater commander has ordered a 21 gun salute in all theater camps and he and his staff stand at attention and salute you, the many men of the A o J, who have given so much to and for the Union cause. The rest of the Armies of the Eastern Theater will be far improved with the integration of your excellent officers.

SALUTE!

Lieutenant General Don Golen

Western Theater Commander, Union!
Assistant Commandant Union War College

http://www.acwgc.org/USA_WTC