American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:28 pm 

Help! A windfall of money has come my way and I would like to purchase some of the HPS Civil War games. I intend to purchase Gettysburg and Peninsula (due to my Eastern theater prejudice) and would also like to buy one (or more) of the Western theater games.
But which? Any recommendations? Are any superior?

PS I already own Talonsoft's 'Shiloh'. Is there enough difference to justify HPS's 'Shiloh'?

Lt. Neal Carney
6/2/IX/AofO

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:38 pm 

Neal,

Drop me a line and I'll give you some info on discount pricing...heck, you might be able to afford them all! [:D]

Rich at hist-sdc.com

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:45 pm 
Beggin' your pardon Suhs <Salute>
Might I suggest you send your Yankee currency to me, I'll purchase the sims then let you know my opinion as to what you should buy![:p]

Maj. G.L.Caverly
2nd Corps,2nd Div.,4th Brg.
AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:45 pm 
Lt

Gen Hamilton is offering some good advice, although if you cannot get them all it is still a fair question to rank them. Maybe we should run a poll of some sort as this question comes up from time to time.

Gen Mike Kaulbars Image
3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:02 pm 

Dear Lt. Neal Carney,

I would recomend Corinth as there are a lot of mods before they locked the game (version 1.01a). Next I would suggest Shiloh the Campaign aspects of it make it a worth while addition even if you already own TS Shiloh. Ozark is great if you like small battles and Franklin is good if you like very powerful artillery. A lot of great choices. I do not own Vicksburg so I can not comment.

Lt Gen Joseph C. Mishurda

ImageImage

Lt General Joseph C. Mishurda,
"Killer Angels"
XXV Corps, AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:00 pm 

Buy 'em all! Corinth is top notch. I've really enjoyed Shiloh as well...

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:28 am 

Wish I had your problem especially with a new title released (Atlanta).[:D]

But my recommendation is after Gettysburg and Peninsula, get Corinth. Even if you never play the campaign its version 1.01a lets you get into all the mods (player developed) that cover a wide range of battles both East and West plus ability to join multiplayer games like Ken Miller's and FtW.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:54 am 

To all:
Thank you, thank you!! Having experienced practitioners comment is of inestimatable value. Corinth, at least.

Maj. Caverly, Sir. No traitor, I. To provide currency to one in rebellion is a traitorous act. It is bad enough that deluded states feel they can destroy the fabric of this great Union, but to encourage loyal patriots to wander down primrose lanes and to wind up in Satan's grasp, I did not think that the chivalrous soldiers of the rebellious Southern states would stoop so low in order to obtain 'filthy lucre'. Too bad Confederate dollars do not qualify as real currency. (But thank you for your imput, nonetheless).

General Hamilton, I hope to contact you about your suggestion.

Lt. Neal Carney
6/2/IX/AofO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:28 pm 
Lt.Carney Suh!,
You must admit it was worth a try. By the way for what it's worth, and in all seriousness, I must concur with the other responders and also recommend Corinth.

Maj. G.L.Caverly
2nd Corps,2nd Div.,4th Brg.
AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:30 pm 
General Kaulbars has a good idea. It would be very interesting to see which games members like to play in the club. [:)] I do own all the HPS titles Including Atlanta as of today. [:D] But I would say Corinth , Shilo , Gettysburg are my favs.

Major Gary Christian
3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:15 pm 

Lt. Carney,

My personal favorite HPS Civil War title is Corinth, but do yourself a favor and contact Rich Hamilton. You won't regret it. You may not be able to pick them ALL up, but you can do much better than three for the same price as three. (If you don't like what he has to say, you can always ignore him and pick three from the HPS site, but I will vouch that he is legit -- Rich is on the HPS staff!)

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)
CCC - Lieutenant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:48 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nealcarney</i>
<br />PS I already own Talonsoft's 'Shiloh'. Is there enough difference to justify HPS's 'Shiloh'?

Lt. Neal Carney
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lt. Carney,

I forgot all about this part of your question.

Yes, the game is different but, more than that, there are so many other scenarios included. General Danner and I are currently engaged in a 'what-if' scenario between Fort Henry and Fort Donelson, based on the assumption the Rebs moved out of Fort Donelson and met Grant on his way cross-country after taking Fort Henry. Both sides have 'bases' to protect, and the numbers appear to be roughly even. We're having a blast. (Well, at least *I* am -- I trapped one of his regiments routing behind my lines and sent them off to Andersonville, tipping the score to a Minor Rebel Victory [:)] ! Of course, the battle isn't even half over yet, and the thick woods allow for plenty of hidden movement. He <i>SAYS </i>I've encountered his main force, but I've learned not to trust <i>everything </i>a Yank says [:D].)

BTW, he beat me handily in the historical Shiloh battle, so it's my turn. (Hee, hee)

Bottom line, I would recommend HPS Shiloh, too.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)
CCC - Lieutenant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army