American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:47 am 

General Mallory,

The elimination of the Army of the James does upset me. I thought that we should eliminate two Union armies if not more. It don't seem quite fair having more Union armies than Reb ones when one Yankee division can whip the snot out of a whole Reb army anyway.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:06 pm 

You don't think that maybe the "fun" factor and the inability to find opponents may be related to so many seemingly grossly imbalanced scenarios? Ever do an exit poll to see why guys leave the club? That might provide some insight. When you say the membership is "shrinking" is that because people are leaving or new people are not signing up or both?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsimms</i>
<br />
By the way, has anyone noticed a shrinking membership or noticed that <font color="red">some people are starting to have a harder time finding an opponent? Its been going on for a pretty good while. I wonder why? My answer rests in one word - "Fun". </font id="red">This club used to provide a roleplaying mechanism for fun through the games that has disappeared. Can we find it again?

Lt Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:47 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tciampa</i>
<br />You don't think that maybe the "fun" factor and the inability to find opponents may be related to so many seemingly grossly imbalanced scenarios? Ever do an exit poll to see why guys leave the club? That might provide some insight. When you say the membership is "shrinking" is that because people are leaving or new people are not signing up or both?

Think you have touched on a problem we have and the "Exit" poll would probably be a good idea too.

I know I have tended to gravitate to playing the people who can provide very fast turn around of the games. The draw back of the "Campaign" games is they are extremely long and usually padded with a number of very unbalanced scenarios you have to get through to have the interesting battles. If players can't turn around 3-5 turns per week these games take years to play out.

The Battleground series had only scenarios so you actually finished games in a reasonable time. We also had statistics on win/losses on the scenarios so it was easy to find one relatively balanced. Now we have thousands of scenarios but little information on the balance. So people who don't have time for campaigns just play a few scenarios they are familiar with. Also, I find campaigns tie me up in a few games for long periods. Back when I played only scenarios I tended to be finishing and starting new game more often and that increased the chance I would pick up now players on the opponent forum.

For sure I think we should start asking members when we see them stop responding to musters why they are dropping out. At least for the next few months and start reporting the results up the command chain. We may pick up some patterns that we didn't realise were happening.

In the mean time I will ponder the problem of how to rate scenarios as to balance, size, etc.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:15 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Posted - Apr 08 2007 : 5:47:22 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
General Mallory,

The elimination of the Army of the James does upset me. I thought that we should eliminate two Union armies if not more. It don't seem quite fair having more Union armies than Reb ones when one Yankee division can whip the snot out of a whole Reb army anyway.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA

Ain't that the truth...

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:39 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">FtW and other Tournaments:

FtW started out as a club “thingâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:44 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The elimination of the Army of the James does upset me. I thought that we should eliminate two Union armies if not more. It don't seem quite fair having more Union armies than Reb ones when one Yankee division can whip the snot out of a whole Reb army anyway.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My Dear Lt. Gen Ned Simms,

Since these yankees are that good I would request that it's proven. I just happen to have this little scenario called Fredericksburg that I designed. With a good Yankee Commander, it's possible to beat my rebs. If the Commander is mostly talk, then one should not accept this invitation. However, if your yankees under your command can beat my Rebs I will kiss your little Yank @## every night for a week at the Tavern and then buy us both beer to celebrate your victory and also to wash out the taste that will most likely linger in my mouth....

If you wish to discuss battle....I'll let you through the pickett line this one time.

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:00 am 

Guys,

Just wondering, earlier I posted a suggestion to promote the club on other ACW related MBs. I'm sure there are many old time gamers that used to play the board type games that would be interested in these type of games and club. They just don't know enough about how things works. Will anyone do this?

BTW, with <b><i>Campaign Atlanta</i></b>, most of the games are under 40 turns and should be managable.

Major Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:51 am 

Thank you sir, for graciously answering my post which could have provoked, "Tom, would you like a little cheese with that whine?" [:)] and thinking that my suggestion for an exit poll was a sensible idea. Thanks most of all for for dignifying my perception of imbalance [in the games, not myself] [:I] by suggesting that some thought might be given to the feasibility of compiling feedback on balance.

I have found what was done years ago for the TS scenarios to be very useful even today, as I have also found the wonderful tactical papers to be at West Point..which as I think about it would be nice to have for [more] of the HPS battles. At least you can <b><i>choose</i></b> to play an unbalanced scenario and not be completely and rudely surprised by jumping into something blind. Not so with the HPS games and especially the campaign "situations" that come up like 1st Winchester and Belmont. I don't "practice" the games against the A.I. and perhaps I am stupid not to do so, and just jump in. But jumping in seems so much more realistic though what I forget is that I am probably the only one stupid enough to do that and then complain about my lack of success.

The people who say that winning isn't everything - it is the playing the game that is fun...well, those people it seems to me - are mostly winners, not losers. The difference between myself and probably other people who joined and left the club...is honesty. I am not a very good player. I first joined years ago when HPS Corinth came out. Here is your exit poll...I left after a string of about 10 straight losses at varioius Corinth battles and all, if that wasn't humiliating enough, were to the same player. I left wondering how I could be so consistently terrible. I suppose I should have perservered and sought help...a 12-step program [B)] or a good Union tutor. But I didn't...I was so frustrated that I just quit.

Then when HPS Gettysburg came out I just had to have it and I thought, because of that game mind you, that I would like to try again. I joined back up again and the Union command and some of you Rebs, were very kind and welcoming...or maybe desperate for membership. [;)] I am doing a little better this time around but I remain very frustrated over many more losses than wins or even draws.

The message here that you probably haven't heard from more discreet or private "leavers of the club" is that such frustration of successive losses where you feel you didn't even have a running chance, just causes stress and if the point is to enjoy playing and having fun...well need I say more. I don't feel this when I play with fellows outside of the clubs. We play for fun, but when you have a batting record of 5% for all the club to see and inspect, it definitely affects one's morale and enthusiasm not to mention self-esteem.

I know, I know...many people will simply say that then this isn't the hobby for me. And those of you who may respond to this and say that might well be correct. But I love the games, I love reading about the era, I like the comradrie, the roleplaying, and all of you friendly and brilliant guys. And I like playing a well-balanced historic scenario...I am just not very good at playing the games or more specifically the rather biased ones. One of these posts pointed out that it is the campaign structure which is fraught with the danger of a bummer popping up. Perhaps that is the answer; not to play campaigns. However, and unfortunately, the idea of a campaign is very attractive. Maybe Col.? Bastiani was correct when I "jined back up"...when he said that "I joined the wrong army." Or perhaps there ought to be a way to match players up so that a dolt isn't playing General Lee. My first game back was with another "newbie" who was brilliant and played as if he had been playing both TS and HPS games for years. So if it isn't imbalance, then the cold realization is that it is just me. Not stupid, just right-brained...good at art but not at logic and details.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest...I hope such a personal post is not inappropriate and my apologies if it is not constructive in any way...but I can't possibly have been alone in my frustration among other "AWOLs" when I left years ago. Maybe I need to start a loser's group thearpy forum.[:)]

BTW...I am about to make full colonel...on a record of mostly losses...how warped is that? Soon a General who can't general [:)] Maybe I could man a desk since you seem to need administrators.

Thanks,
Tom

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KWhitehead</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tciampa</i>
<br />You don't think that maybe the "fun" factor and the inability to find opponents may be related to so many seemingly grossly imbalanced scenarios? Ever do an exit poll to see why guys leave the club? That might provide some insight. When you say the membership is "shrinking" is that because people are leaving or new people are not signing up or both?

Think you have touched on a problem we have and the "Exit" poll would probably be a good idea too.

I know I have tended to gravitate to playing the people who can provide very fast turn around of the games. The draw back of the "Campaign" games is they are extremely long and usually padded with a number of very unbalanced scenarios you have to get through to have the interesting battles. If players can't turn around 3-5 turns per week these games take years to play out.

The Battleground series had only scenarios so you actually finished games in a reasonable time. We also had statistics on win/losses on the scenarios so it was easy to find one relatively balanced. Now we have thousands of scenarios but little information on the balance. So people who don't have time for campaigns just play a few scenarios they are familiar with. Also, I find campaigns tie me up in a few games for long periods. Back when I played only scenarios I tended to be finishing and starting new game more often and that increased the chance I would pick up now players on the opponent forum.

For sure I think we should start asking members when we see them stop responding to musters why they are dropping out. At least for the next few months and start reporting the results up the command chain. We may pick up some patterns that we didn't realise were happening.

In the mean time I will ponder the problem of how to rate scenarios as to balance, size, etc.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:52 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsimms</i>
<br />General Mallory,

... It don't seem quite fair having more Union armies than Reb ones when one Yankee division can whip the snot out of a whole Reb army anyway.

Lt Gen Ned Simms

General Simms,

Where I come from, them's fightin' words! (of course, I ain't where I come from no more, but that don't make no never mind!)

Back before you galvanized, you were recognized as the CSA expert on Campaign Corinth. Now that you got confused and slipped north of the Mason-Dixon line and worked your way up through the ranks of 'those other people' (which came as no surprise -- what with your background in the Rebel army I knew you would have little competition for promotion in that rabble Grant euphemistically called "the National army") ...

Now, where was I?

Oh, yes, the glove! *slap, slap*

Sir, are you willing to meet me in a Corinth Campaign to see how well you remember your own lessons? If so, send a courier to my HQ under flag of truce to request surrender terms ... no, wait, that comes later [:D]! ... I meant, to negotiate play options.

Oh, and please ask your courier to hurry. The last time I left a candle burning at my tent flap a breeze came through and I nearly lost everything! [V]

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)
CCC - Lieutenant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:11 am 

Col. Ciampa,

First of all, don't feel all alone -- you're just playing historically. After all, there were plenty of Union Generals who couldn't 'general' [:D].

Secondly, though (and seriously), I highly recommend you try different opponents. Unless you're either a) a glutton for punishment or b) a very slow learner, you're apt to be frustrated by certain opponents. I know how embarrassing it was to be stomped in my first two club battles -- by a GIRL [B)] (anybody remember Stacy Jemay, the "Gal in Blue"?).

Yes, even some of the new members join the club as very experienced players, but there are many others who have not learned all the tricks or who, like you, prefer to play a relatively unknown (at least to them) scenario.

There are still plenty of opponents available. Keep looking. You'll find one (or more) who you really enjoy playing against.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)
CCC - Lieutenant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:47 pm 

I'd be willing to serve as a staff member for the scn design department.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notso</i>
<br />WOW.

IMHO this is one of the best threads I have ever seen in the club. No one is right and no one is wrong. No bashing … no finger pointing. Just a bunch of compassionate people “talkingâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:02 pm 

Col. Ciampa

I suspect your story is more typical than we would like in the club. I see to many people join and never even pass being First Lt. I suspect a lot of them bought the game, played the AI for a while, then joined the club when they found the AI to boring. Unfortunately, the AI leads to some of the worse tactics possible and if the newbie picks anyone but another like himself they are wiped out.

A good example of this that I found out about later was a new Reb player who had the bad luck to start a Gettysburg with my brother who had also just graduated from West Point. My brother is no longer with the Yanks, didn't have the time, but he was there long enough to whip this poor soul so bad in the first 20 turns of the game to cause him to quit the game and the club.

Ranks in the club tend to reflect how long you have been here not necessarially how good you are. This makes it difficult to match players by skill level. Those who come in the club and make the mistake of choosing a player like myself or my brother even though we might at the time be Lt. find instead they are fighting someone that has been playing Avalon Hill Gettysburg, Terrible Swift Sword, TS Gettysburg and HPS Gettysburg for thirty years.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:53 pm 

Just a few quick comments on what is an interesting thread. First, part of the mystique of the campaigns, or at least to me, is knowing when you've got a clunker of scenario. Knowing when to cut and run and when to stand and fight was an important aspect of what it took to be a commanding general in the period. If I start a scenario that I recognize to be an unbalanced nightmare from the start then I start the withdrawal process. This is where the termination bid comes into play as I'll let my opponent know what I'm up to so we can end it and move on hoping for a better battle. As for losing all the time I've been there and done that. Just ask General Simms how he racked up all those victories as a Rebel. No officer should be afraid to step into their respective Taverns and ask for a fellow officer to school, or for you Rebs, "Skool", them while playing a scenario. It is nothing to turn off the fog of war and give hints while playing a friendly match.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:34 pm 

Mr. Whitehead. I have been playing those games and many, many others for 49 years...my first game was Tactics II, 1958, a Freshman in high school. In fact I still have a collection of over 300 games of every era (actually down from over 500 at one time...thank God for eBay). With all due respect, I don't see the same similarity of <b>full intelligence</b> boardgames to Talonsoft and HPS computer games other than the intrinsic fact that they use hexagons,"unit counters" to represent armies, Strength Points, Terrain Costs and Results Charts to simulate a battle. Whether computer ACW or WWII computer games I have always happily "hyped" TS games and later HPS games to miniature and boardgame buddies who baulked at the concept of computer wargames...My standard line regarding the ACW games (to convince them to try them) was to tell them it is like SPI's <i>Great Battles of the American Civil War </i>(i.e. TSS, Pea Ridge, Drive on Washington, Jackson at the Crossroads, et.al.) ONLY the computer does all "the hard stuff" like LOS calculation and combat results and that there is a real FOW. So you see it is not knowing the battles from pushing around little cardboard counters that you are enlightening me about at all. It is one rather the significant difference...that of a TRUE fog of war...that is the big...actually principal difference between playing boardgames and playing computer games. It is much easier to assess your own battle plan and that of your opponents when you can look down on a map and see all of his units, what they are, how strong they are, and where they are headed including when behind terrain, in the woods, and even off the map in holding boxes...yes there are exceptions like PanzerGruppe Guderian with its little ? marks, but with all due respect, it is not as simple as you suggest.

My guess is that there are abundant young men, new to the hobby of computer gaming that have not seen or played boardgame "one" or even miniatures. My problem as you may be suggesting is not having made my bones on decades of boardgames...My problem is that I haven't played enough of these games and the club doesn't really provide, and can't do so, any kind of sanctioned ranking of skill other than to tell "newbies" to seek out other newbies which by your very example, one might say: sounds like a newbie, his point level and rank says newbie, his few games make one think he is a newbie...but alas as you and your brother they are not really newbies at all. I am old enough and mature enough to know that one has to gain experience through study, practice and hard knocks. My complaint is that it is hard enough getting the education to these games through the baptisms of fire without also having to play veterans (whether in sheep's clothing [:)] or not) and without also having no knowledge of the possible disadvantage of unbalanced scenarios (HPS not TS) and even some gamey players. The only formal prep is a couple of West Point or VMI games where an accomplished player beats the snot out of you once or twice, points out a few of the stupid things you did, and if you are lucky and they felt sorry for you, you post a couple of minors or a draw, and then you are a three-hour wonder sent off to the wars.

This is not criticism...I like to think of it as observation. Someone else started this customer thread...well if you want insight into how to attract a newbie, train a newbie and keep a newbie as the foundation of the club's future and its health, then maybe someone should give thought to what we see every day on TV, in newspapers, magazines and billboards. Actively addvertising the club and not just with a note on the HPS site letting perspective buyers know that they can find opponents in the ACW, NAW, MBC, CCC etc. but that they will also find an excellent and meaningful training system, matching system, comradrie, roleplaying, etc. We take this for granted because we are here and staying and playing...even me...I came back and was welcomed, thank you. But maybe some of the people we are "losing" or are not signing up don't really see anything to attract them.

I have stated in other posts...I think...and didn't I see something about maybe not even being 10% of the customer base of HPS? It is my understanding from a good source that the vast majority of men, and probably a desparate housewife or two, buy the games TO PLAY SOLITAIRE (and this applies to boardgamers too as I have learned from my 49 years of playing, collecting, selling, and actually designing a couple of boardgames that got published - Port Stanley Wargamer No.28 a collector's item). I call them "closet gamers" and who knows why...maybe they don't want their colleagues or friends...we all have liberals in our lives...to think they are warmongers. Do you ALWAYS call yourself a wargamer or do you call you and your games by the euphemism developed by Dunnigan at SPI and Co. "Conflct Simulations?" Don't want your friends who are not of the same cloth to think you are strange AND a hawk...you know...all those Bush-bashers who didn't vote for him like no one else did. Some of those closet board and computer gamers maybe don't like the competition...losing, or are not social face-to-face kind of players (i.e. against humans on the computer or over a game table or like to play with themselves making turns to perfection, not spontaneously moving and taking hours to make one move...do we all remember <i>The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich and World in Flames?</i>..like chess players, or maybe buy boardgames to set up and compliment their reading and study of military history, and now do the same with computer games.

My point is that you have to know your market if you are going to attract one and I am guessing, but I wonder if all of us have come to club membership almost by accident save perhaps for the notes on the Tiller and Hamilton sites hyping the club as a place to play these games. It might be useful to also have an advertised link explaining and assuring prospective members that they will be taught or tutored and/or honed and have fun, not be intimated by the advanced skill of veteran players looking for new meat to whip. Could be a big recruiting point. As well as telling them that we have wonderful position papers...well some anyway...on the battles and many on tactics, and that we are great guys from all walks of life and all ages. Now I am getting really sickening.[:I]

Please, please do not mistake my banter...I LOVE this club..again...already and General Moose. I didn't start this string, I am just "participating"...or maybe boring you. The truth is that no matter how you try to package it or present it as brotherly and comradriely; the club IS also competitive...NOT "mean" competitive, but a "friendly, intellectural pursuit including a dimension, for some, of role-playing. Nevertheless it is after all about war...and war has winners and losers and losing isn't the fun part, and playing is a lot more enjoyable when it results in winning, at least sometimes, and that the club does all it can to help you become experienced not drive you back into solitare gaming.

I also know it can't be all things to all people and one has to earn their stripes, yada, yada...my problem, besides being long-winded [:(] is that I need to be more patient and use all that tactical know-how that you brilliant vets have given us at the War College...it is too easy to blame design...or lack of patience. But Mr. Whitehead, believe me...for some veterans of boardgames...these computer games ONLY look like them...FOW is an incredible difference...just look alone at how one finds his first human opponent after ONLY beating the kimchee out of the A.I. for months and months until you found the ACW.

Thanks...I won't talk anymore... I promise...its a good thing we don't have a newsletter...you would really be sick of hearing my rants and dumb questions about the engine. Now that I shot off my mouth I suppose I will have to have be given some kind of KP like being on a committee[:)]

Thanks.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KWhitehead</i>
<br />Col. Ciampa

<font color="red">I suspect your story is more typical than we would like in the club..... find instead they are fighting someone that has been playing Avalon Hill Gettysburg, Terrible Swift Sword, TS Gettysburg and HPS Gettysburg for thirty years.</font id="red">LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

LtCol.Tom Ciampa
2nd Bgde,1st Cav
XIV Corps, AoC
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: GB, SH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:22 pm 

Slap, slap!

Was I just slapped by the President? What do I look like - the Vice President? I think that I got a scratch and need medical aid. Where is that nurse that has all of the curves - you don't mean that General Laub is having another physical? As for General Mallory, we'll have to check with the First Lady to see if you've been taking your pills like you're supposed to. Let's boot up Campaign Corinth and see if we can't knock some sense into that noggin of yours ... uh, Sir.

General Nelms, if I remember correctly, I won all of the first day scenarios at Gettysburg and you won all of the rest of them. I distinctly remember a very painful night attack repulse in the main battle and have only lost that battle once more since that spanking many years ago. Our many battles across many fields were very even except when it ended with us playing all of the scenarios on the Shiloh disk. That one left you blue and bluer.

Colonel Daley, I have never played Fredericksburg. I have never cared to play Fredericksburg. However I have changed my mind about a lot of things in life. How many turns is it? This is a scenario that you designed and what HPS or TS disk is it played on? I'll consider your offer but I'm approaching my saturation point in games ongoing.

Lieutenant Colonel Ciampa, your feedback should be very valuable. I played a couple of times when I first joined the club and did fine, but then I ran across a Union Lieutenant General by the name of Bill Peters who graciously offered suggestions and comments to a young Field Lieutenant while he was embarrassing me on the field of battle. I played many Lieutenants after I reached General Officer status and usually offered to provide comments and suggestions as we played. Only a couple of them accepted that offer and one of those seemed to take objection to my suggestions. Most of the rest didn't need my comments and suggestions but I sure could have used theirs.

I agree with Lt Col Ciampa's comments on winning and losing. I lost some of the most enjoyable battles that I've fought but they occurred when I was winning more than I was losing. However, I remember one losing streak which shook my confidence and it became far more difficult to log on and boot up a game turn. But on a different note, Col Ciampa, all of us 'gamey' players aren't necessarily so bad.

Did anyone notice Rich Walker volunteering for a staff position in a club scenario design department? Isn't that as good as winning the lottery plus we get to pay him in Confederate dollars? His mail box is probably already full with cabinet members saying "Not only yes. but HELL YES".

For those of you who might expect some turn or comment out of me Tuesday night, for gosh sakes don't hold your breath because you'll suffocate. My local law enforcement has requested my presence tomorrow night to discuss the inappropriate ways to conduct myself on our roads and highways. How could I refuse their offer (I don't like handcuffs, even in the bedroom)?

Lt Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA