American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Historical Books
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:09 am 

Gentlemen,

I've recently read Coddington's "The Gettysburg Campaign".

I'm looking for recommendations for other Civil War books on any other campaigns, at about the same level of detail.

Thanks,

Lt. Thompson
4/3/VIII AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:33 am 
I've not read Coddington, but I am a big fan of Gordon Rhea - his set of 4 or 5 books on the 1864 Overland Campaign is great. Cozzens three books about Stones River, Chickamagua, and Chatanooga, etc. are also quite good. Stephen W. Sears has a few good ones as well - the Peninsula, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, etc.

Regards,

Brig. Gen. Alan Lynn
2nd Div, II Corps, AoA
VMI Training Staff

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:35 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by P.A.T.</i>
<br />Gentlemen,

I've recently read Coddington's "The Gettysburg Campaign".

I'm looking for recommendations for other Civil War books on any other campaigns, at about the same level of detail.

Thanks,

Lt. Thompson
4/3/VIII AoS
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lt. Thompson,

Probably the best Civil War book I've ever read, though it's not about a campaign, is <u>Stonewall Jackson : The Man, the Soldier, the Legend</u> by James Robertson. It's probably the most detailed book on Jackson out there, but still very readable.

BG Boyd Denner
"Alabama Brigade"
1/3/III
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:18 am 

I just finished reading Grabau's book on the Vicksburg campaign titled "98 Days: A Geographer's View to the Vicksburg Campaign". It is worth the read for the maps alone but it sure brings a lot better perspective on why the commanders did what they did.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:02 pm 

I have read several hundred books on various aspects and campaigns of the Civil War . . . and for the last couple of years, when anyone asks me what my favorite battle book is, I still answer "Conquering the Valley; Stonewall Jackson at Port Republic" by Krick. It has that indefinable something that pulls you into a truly fascinating few days in the upper Shenandoah in 1862. Try it. It's a kick.

Sincerely,
Brig Gen Dwight McBride
2nd Brigade/2nd Division
I Corps/AOP/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:06 am 

Hi,

I always liked Coddington's Gettysburg Campaign. The footnotes are almost half the story. For sheer detail on Gettysburg, the Pfanz books are great. I also enjoyed Priest's book on Antietam, which uses the participants' observations extensively. I have to admit, though, that for sheer reading pleasure, Bruce Catton, whose books were popular back around the centenniel years and which I read in high school, is unsurpassed. Shelby Foote's trilogy was also a very good read.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:07 am 

Hi,

I always liked Coddington's Gettysburg Campaign. The footnotes are almost half the story. For sheer detail on Gettysburg, the Pfanz books are great. I also enjoyed Priest's book on Antietam, which uses the participants' observations extensively. I have to admit, though, that for sheer reading pleasure, Bruce Catton, whose books were popular back around the centenniel years and which I read in high school, is unsurpassed. Shelby Foote's trilogy was also a very good read.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:23 pm 

I highly recommend Jeffrey Wert. He's highly readable and very informative. I also second anything by Harry Pfanz. Highly detailed accounts of the first day at Gettysburg, as well as the 2nd day, yet also very readable.

Col. Bill Spitz
3rd Division
I Corps
Army of the Potomac
[image]http://tmg110.tripod.com/federal/us-1c3d.gif[/image]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:30 pm 

Thanks to all.

I appreciate all of the input, keep it coming.

What is the best book on the Atlanta Campaign? I think that is my next game, from fathers day.

Lt. Thompson
4/3/VIII AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:31 pm 

Lt Thompson,

Here is a link to a site where some books are reviewed by Brett Schulte, a club member. Hope this helps some.

http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBooks/index.html

BG. Bill Goodman
5th Brigade
III Division
III Corps, ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:34 am 

Harry Phanz, wrote three books about Gettysburg, one for each day. They were excellent.

Also, I second Steve Sears for Penninusla thru Gettysburg and Godon Rhea for the 1864 Campaign.

Out west I have read Tim Smiths book about Champions Hill and it was truly outstanding.

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
II/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:15 am 

I have to recommend Stephen Sears <i>Chancellorsville</i> . I was astounded at the information I found out about that campaign. His information on what <i>Hooker</i> knew about Lee's dispositions in truly amazing.

Bg. General Gilbert Collins
Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:21 pm 

Did Pfanz write a book about the third day? I thought there was a book on the first day, and then a book on the second day covering the Union left flank and another covering the fighting at Culp's Hill. I didn't know of a book on the third day.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zinkyusa</i>
<br />Harry Phanz, wrote three books about Gettysburg, one for each day. They were excellent.

Also, I second Steve Sears for Penninusla thru Gettysburg and Godon Rhea for the 1864 Campaign.

Out west I have read Tim Smiths book about Champions Hill and it was truly outstanding.

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
II/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:54 pm 

All these titles and authors to enjoy - but the choice on spending my time remains: Games, or Books? Usually it's not enough of both!!![:D]

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:03 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nelmsm</i>
<br />Did Pfanz write a book about the third day? I thought there was a book on the first day, and then a book on the second day covering the Union left flank and another covering the fighting at Culp's Hill. I didn't know of a book on the third day.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zinkyusa</i>
<br />Harry Phanz, wrote three books about Gettysburg, one for each day. They were excellent.

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
II/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Mark, I was referring to the book about Culps Hill which I have not read but do have in my queue. You are quite right it's focus is on the fighting on the Union right which occurred on days two and three. I thought the first two books which I have finished were great.

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
II/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"