American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Game
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:57 pm 

A new game from AGEOD Civil War has just came out, they are the one's who developed Birth of America. From what I've read it's similar to Forge of Freedom. It was developed by some guys over in France.

Respectfully,
Brig. Gen. Gery Bastiani
II Corps, 3rd Div. Tarheel Division
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:22 am 

For those who want to try it they have a demo you can download and play the tutorial and a few short scenarios.

It has a different approach to presenting the war than Forge of Freedom so if you are interested in a game on the strategic level of the Civil War you need to take a closer look and see which fits your expectations.

I haven't played enough of AGEOD's to make a judgement yet but there are some obvious differences between the two games. A major one being AGEOD's battles are all instant while FoF has three types: Instant, Quick Combat, and Detail. FoF on the strategic level emphasises an infrastruction production system. You have to visit each of your major cities and build mines, factories, camps, etc. to improve you economy so it can produce more combat units. You also build or muster/draft in combat units from the cities. Army organization is a bit more basic. You can form Armies, Corps, and Divisions from the smallest unit type, brigades and artillery. It also has naval units for blockading, landings, etc. Detail combat system on their tactical map is good for short scenarios but useless for using on long ones or the whole war unless you have twenty or so years to commit to completing a game. The Quick combat does add a nice flavor to the battles at least making you feel you have some control of it.

AGEOD I have only started on; that is, tutorial. It has a much more detail Army organization. You have control over Armies, Corps, Divisions, Brigades and to some degree even smaller elements. It includes a much more complex supply system including wagons with your troops, rail system, depots, and logistics for using. I think it handles the economy for you based on the provinces you control. Battle wise you don't get much, just a result screen. They do have nice graphics for their provinces and present a much more complex strategic map to play on.

In my opinion the game they must beat to be worth buying is "The American Civil War: Sumnter to Appomattox" which so far has been the best Stratgic level handling of the Civil War. It has flaws and is old as the hills, but is now free. I have heard rumours it was going to be updated and reissued but have yet to see anything.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message