American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:48 am 

Gents,

Based on comments on another thread on this board, here's a brief history of the Corinth Campaign Col Bill Keys and I are finishing up at the moment.

Battle One Rosecrans at Iuka
Bill decided to take the historical option and attack Murphy's isolated brigade at Iuka. I took a chance and reinforced Iuka with both Hamilton's and Stanley's divisions. Initially I withdrew my small cav units into the woods on my left, left murphy guarding the creek on the clear path to the town and Fuller's brigade to his left. I thought that Hamilton's division would be pounding down the road at any moment and could fill in to Fuller's left. The shorter ranged guns, mostly Napoleons were set on the rise behind the creek and before the town. I'd left the 11th Missouri (just about my only A quality unit) and a 12 lb howitzer section guarding the road and rail bridge crossing into town. The rifled guns were put on the big hills behind the town in theory out of reach of most rebel guns.
Bill attacked with Little's Division as soon he could march them into contact. Armstrong's cav remained seperated and aggressively probed my western flank (where the hell was Hamilton and Rosecrans?). His initial attack met a stone wall with Gates closing on the bridges east of town and Hebert trying to go through where the woods start and the creek ends. This exposed both brigades to plunging fire from the Napoleons just outside of town. I used up arty ammo at a prodigeous rate (you can't take it with you, as the saying goes) and his casualties started to climb. Unfortunately so did my troops fatigue level.
Hamilton finally showed up slightly more than two hours late, marched down the road and took his place next to Fuller's overextended line. At this point I thought I had a maor victory in my sights. He was not yet positioned where I wanted him when he met Maury's division deployed and coming the other way.
At this point, the 11th Missouri routed as did two other key regiments and found myself with the classic Union broken line. I stitched together a line of sorts, mostly disrupted units, limbered the short ranged arty and started falling back to the northwest. The intent was to pivot on my fresh division whcih was under pressure from Bill's fresh division (good plan huh?). I also launched my small cavalry units into Bill's rear where they captured several officers (Price, Armstrong and Little!) and a couple of artillery units. (Bill was doing the rebel full court press at the time.) It wasn't enough to stop Bill's troops from sweeping into the town and claiming their victory at a high price in casualties and leader losses.
Total losses for this fight were USA 1650 infantry, 100 cav, 1 gun, no leaders; CSA 2400 infantry, 1000 cav, 12 guns, 4 leaders.

Battle Two Iuka revisited
I didn't want my forces split up so I chose to attack Iuka directly from the west. Bill defended with both (now weakened) divisions to the northwest of town. Bill had his artillery set up on the broad ridge covering a beautiful 1000 yard wide field of fire. Little's division was to the right and Maury's to the left.
I sent two of the five division available to Grant on a wide flanking move that crashed into Bill's exposed right flank and caused him to pull all the available infantry from Little's division to stop it. I then sent forward three brigades against his left flank to occupy Maury's attention. With the reserves distracted I was able to creep close enough to launch a massive charge at his now unprotected artillery units in the center.
At this point Bill's units started to retreat towards the town. The amazing resilience and pursuit ability of Union troops came to the fore once again and I was satisfied with my major victory when Bill placed a PBEM termination bid. Little's division had been thumped a second time and I had captured 28 guns. My casualties were acceptable with a large number coming from the demonstration against Maury's division.

Battle Three Ripley
After the two fights at Iuka I didn't think it likely that Bill would attack Corinth without reinforcements. To prevent a distracting cavalry raid I decided to attack him pre-emptively at Ripley from the north. My intent was to cause more casualties than I lost and to prevent him from taking in any offensive action against Corinth this strategic phase.
I was able to get the long range Union artillery set up on the ridges north of town and put the Union infantry at the foot of the ridge in front of them. I didn't advance into Ripley because I didn't think I could take it without massive casualties. Bill wasn't about to enter the artillery kill zone I set up so and the battle ended a draw with about 1000 infantry casualties on each side. Additionally Bill lost about 400 cav from Jackson's brigade.

Battle Four Corinth
Because we were now at the end of October, Corinth had a complete abatis surrounding it. The forts were complete and I had badly attritioned his artillery corps in the preceding battles. He had been reinforced by Breckinridge's division but this only made up his losses. I decided to defend from within the inner defenses at Corinth to take the most advantage of my interior lines, my superior artillery and the completed fortifications. Bill attacked from the Northwest into the heart of my defenses.
The result was a rebel bloodbath. I'd spent my time during Bill's approach march constructing breastworks to strengthen the fortifications. Bill never really penetrated the abatis and was forced to fight against units that were uphill, behind embankments and breastworks without artillery support. We fought most of this battle at a range of about three hexes where my superior artillery and rifles were most effective. He lost about 7000 trying to penetrate my works. I lost about 1000.
After 64 turns Bill resigned at this field and his army is now retreating to Davis Bridge.

Battle Five Davis Bridge
This battle is still under way and it looks like it'll be a ding dong fight along the Boneyard road where it T's at the south. I have troops at the top of that hill and his army is forming to attack them in order to get to the southern bridge.

I hope you, the reader, find this as entertaining as we the players have found this campaign.

Sincerely,
Chuck Berdanier
Col, 2/1/IX, AoO

Chuck Berdanier
Col, 2/1/IX, AoO
National Light Infantry

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:13 am 

Nice AAR Chuck. You'd think those Rebs would learn to leave us AoO boys alone.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:27 am 

[:D]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:51 am 

Great to see an AAR! A classic Corinth game, easy to see why that one is so much fun!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:06 pm 

Update from the front!

It's now 2PM and the battle at the southern T junction of the Boneyard road has been pretty inconclusive. The Union infantry is defending a large number of guns on the top of the hill which are shooting at anything in sight - not much really.

Davis Bridge has been destroyed.

Crum's Bridge, on the other hand has been the scene of one of the strangest encounters I can remember. On one side is five mount rebel cav units trying their darndest to rebuild the structure. On the other side a a single small Union cav unit trying to destroy it with Zippo fluid, lit matches and by stealing the rebel's tools. (If General Moose and friend were there we'd give them a few tools...).

I wish I had a picture of it.

The action at Crum's is about to get hotter as the Union infantry and arty have just arrived.

Chuck Berdanier
Col, 2/1/IX, AoO
National Light Infantry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:31 am 

Excellent! Thanks for posting this[8D]

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]XO, Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:54 am 

Yeah, thanks for posting this AAR. Great read indeed [:)] Corinth is still one of my fave HPS ACW games. The campaign tree there is very good.

MajGen Atle Jenssen
CO 2nd Division
XXth Corps
Army of the Cumberland
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:51 pm 

Col Quick Sir!

The comment about General Moose and giving him tools relates to his lack of an opposable thumb. Don't know about you....

Chuck Berdanier
Col, 2/1/IX, AoO
National Light Infantry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:35 am 

It's all over. Col Keys has offered his Sword.

First and foremost I want to thank Bill for playing the campaign. I hope he enjoyed it as much as I did. Bill responds to turns very quickly and fun to chat with.

A final update on the course of the battle.

Ord and Hurlburt's artillery pounded the rebel cav at Crum's bridge.

Van Dorn and company could never get past the blocking force at the bottom of the Boneyard road and the agressive charges from larger Union infantry units took out the rebel army a brigade at a time.

Total losses for the Davis Bridge battle were:
USA 1906 Inf, 305 Cav, 0 artillery, 3 leaders
CSA 5859 Inf, 1451 Cav, 25 Artillery, 13 leaders

On top of the losses suffered at Corinth, the Army of the West is now a mere shadow of the organization that started the campaign. Nothing stands in the path of General Grant between Corinth and Vicksburg.

"This is the darkest gloom" Jefferson Davis

Chuck Berdanier
Col, 2/1/IX, AoO
National Light Infantry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:56 am 

Congrats and thanks to you both for the narrative!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:10 am 

Wouldn't it be grand if someone took the time to abstract these most interesting kinds of after-action reports and assemble them all in a nice War College Article as examples for the more likely battles, situations and campaigns.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by caberdanier</i>
<br />Gents,

Based on comments on another thread on this board, here's a brief history of the Corinth Campaign Col Bill Keys and I are finishing up at the moment.

Battle One Rosecrans at Iuka
Bill decided to take the historical option and attack Murphy's isolated brigade at Iuka. I took a chance and reinforced Iuka with both Hamilton's and Stanley's divisions. Initially I withdrew my small cav units into the woods on my left, left murphy guarding the creek on the clear path to the town and Fuller's brigade to his left. I thought that Hamilton's division would be pounding down the road at any moment and could fill in to Fuller's left. The shorter ranged guns, mostly Napoleons were set on the rise behind the creek and before the town. I'd left the 11th Missouri (just about my only A quality unit) and a 12 lb howitzer section guarding the road and rail bridge crossing into town. The rifled guns were put on the big hills behind the town in theory out of reach of most rebel guns.
Bill attacked with Little's Division as soon he could march them into contact. Armstrong's cav remained seperated and aggressively probed my western flank (where the hell was Hamilton and Rosecrans?). His initial attack met a stone wall with Gates closing on the bridges east of town and Hebert trying to go through where the woods start and the creek ends. This exposed both brigades to plunging fire from the Napoleons just outside of town. I used up arty ammo at a prodigeous rate (you can't take it with you, as the saying goes) and his casualties started to climb. Unfortunately so did my troops fatigue level.
Hamilton finally showed up slightly more than two hours late, marched down the road and took his place next to Fuller's overextended line. At this point I thought I had a maor victory in my sights. He was not yet positioned where I wanted him when he met Maury's division deployed and coming the other way.
At this point, the 11th Missouri routed as did two other key regiments and found myself with the classic Union broken line. I stitched together a line of sorts, mostly disrupted units, limbered the short ranged arty and started falling back to the northwest. The intent was to pivot on my fresh division whcih was under pressure from Bill's fresh division (good plan huh?). I also launched my small cavalry units into Bill's rear where they captured several officers (Price, Armstrong and Little!) and a couple of artillery units. (Bill was doing the rebel full court press at the time.) It wasn't enough to stop Bill's troops from sweeping into the town and claiming their victory at a high price in casualties and leader losses.
Total losses for this fight were USA 1650 infantry, 100 cav, 1 gun, no leaders; CSA 2400 infantry, 1000 cav, 12 guns, 4 leaders.

Battle Two Iuka revisited
I didn't want my forces split up so I chose to attack Iuka directly from the west. Bill defended with both (now weakened) divisions to the northwest of town. Bill had his artillery set up on the broad ridge covering a beautiful 1000 yard wide field of fire. Little's division was to the right and Maury's to the left.
I sent two of the five division available to Grant on a wide flanking move that crashed into Bill's exposed right flank and caused him to pull all the available infantry from Little's division to stop it. I then sent forward three brigades against his left flank to occupy Maury's attention. With the reserves distracted I was able to creep close enough to launch a massive charge at his now unprotected artillery units in the center.
At this point Bill's units started to retreat towards the town. The amazing resilience and pursuit ability of Union troops came to the fore once again and I was satisfied with my major victory when Bill placed a PBEM termination bid. Little's division had been thumped a second time and I had captured 28 guns. My casualties were acceptable with a large number coming from the demonstration against Maury's division.

Battle Three Ripley
After the two fights at Iuka I didn't think it likely that Bill would attack Corinth without reinforcements. To prevent a distracting cavalry raid I decided to attack him pre-emptively at Ripley from the north. My intent was to cause more casualties than I lost and to prevent him from taking in any offensive action against Corinth this strategic phase.
I was able to get the long range Union artillery set up on the ridges north of town and put the Union infantry at the foot of the ridge in front of them. I didn't advance into Ripley because I didn't think I could take it without massive casualties. Bill wasn't about to enter the artillery kill zone I set up so and the battle ended a draw with about 1000 infantry casualties on each side. Additionally Bill lost about 400 cav from Jackson's brigade.

Battle Four Corinth
Because we were now at the end of October, Corinth had a complete abatis surrounding it. The forts were complete and I had badly attritioned his artillery corps in the preceding battles. He had been reinforced by Breckinridge's division but this only made up his losses. I decided to defend from within the inner defenses at Corinth to take the most advantage of my interior lines, my superior artillery and the completed fortifications. Bill attacked from the Northwest into the heart of my defenses.
The result was a rebel bloodbath. I'd spent my time during Bill's approach march constructing breastworks to strengthen the fortifications. Bill never really penetrated the abatis and was forced to fight against units that were uphill, behind embankments and breastworks without artillery support. We fought most of this battle at a range of about three hexes where my superior artillery and rifles were most effective. He lost about 7000 trying to penetrate my works. I lost about 1000.
After 64 turns Bill resigned at this field and his army is now retreating to Davis Bridge.

Battle Five Davis Bridge
This battle is still under way and it looks like it'll be a ding dong fight along the Boneyard road where it T's at the south. I have troops at the top of that hill and his army is forming to attack them in order to get to the southern bridge.

I hope you, the reader, find this as entertaining as we the players have found this campaign.

Sincerely,
Chuck Berdanier
Col, 2/1/IX, AoO

Chuck Berdanier
Col, 2/1/IX, AoO
National Light Infantry
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Colonel Tom Ciampa
2nd Bgde,1st Cav
XIV Corps, AoC
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AT, CTH, GB, OZK, SH, VK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:45 pm 

I do not have much to add to Col. Berdanier's report on our campaign.
I will say he is a very skilled and cunning opponent, I know I was beaten by the best. He did show me various tactics that I had never thought of,now if I can apply them to other opponents, I should pick up my game. My biggest problem was movement,many times I moved through wooded areas since road movement seemed to be too obvious,thus inviting an ambush. In so doing my force was slowed down, giving away precious time which my opponent used to position his force. After the initial battles my force became fatiqued to the point of being almost ineffective for the remainder of the campaign.
Despite the loss I enjoyed the game very much and look forward to playing against Col. Berdanier again,which we are now doing.

Regards,
Col. Bill Keys
AOM