American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:34 am 

Salute to the brave men from both sides that fell this day, 144 years ago.

Lt.General Dale Lastowicka
VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:08 am 

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Lieutenant General Scott "The Mad Prussian" Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Western Theater, CSA
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retired ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - INWC[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:41 am 

SALUTE! Well said. We all may have leanings to one side or another for what ever reasons, but there is no doubt that they were brave men who fought for what they believed in. No matter what you may think of that final charge, there was no doubt that it was made with courage and received with courage. I SALUTE! all men who fought with courage and Honor, no matter what side.

GEN. Tony Malone
Commander Army of Mississippi
"Do your duty in all things, You can never do more, You should never wish to do less".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:03 am 
Indeed! Here here! Three cheers!

Maj.Gen. Mike Smith
3rd Bde, 1st Div
II Corps
Army of Georgia
[url="http://convolutedmuse.com"]ConvolutedMuse[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:54 am 

We American are justly proud of our fighting spirit. We have many many fine examples to draw from. From the outset we've been 2nd to none! May God continue to bless America.

Lt. Bill Cirillo
3rd Brigade, 1st Div.
XX Corps, AoC, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:21 am 

General Lee said, "...after a most determined and gallant struggle, were compelled to relinquish their advantage, and fall back to their original position with severe loss. The conduct of the troops was all that I could desire or expect, and they deserve success so far as it can be deserved by heroic valor and fortitude. More may have been required of them than they were able to perform, but my admiration of their noble qualities and confidence in their ability to cope successfully with the enemy has suffered no abatement from the issue of this protracted and sanguinary conflict."

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:17 am 

Huzzah!

*Salute!*

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:56 am 

Salute to Private Lynch A. Leftwich, my great great grandfather, Co. B, 14th Va, Armistead's Brigade.

Lt. Col. Brad Slepetz
1/3/III/AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:45 am 

To all the brave men who died on either side....We pray for your souls.....For they did something that very few could do, but many have done....

Lt. Gen. John Dragan AoA/III

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:22 pm 
"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

A. Lincoln

Had to memorize & recite it in the Sixth Grade I never forgot.

Dale

Brig. Gen. Dale Henken
First Divsion
XVI Corps
Army Of The Tennessee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:44 pm 

Lt. Col Slepetz,

Thanks for bringing up your great great grandfather. My wife's great great grandfather was in the 1st Michigan Cavalry (in Custer's Brigade) that also fought this day a few miles from Pickett's charge.

We spent a good deal of time at the East Cavalry Field in April when we were down there. It was a very strange feeling, looking out over the field, realizing that had Darwin Lewis Olney died that day, my wife's great grandfather would never have been born (he was born in Sept 1864) and a whole line of descendents, including my wife, would never exist.

VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:59 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dalelast</i>
<br />Lt. Col Slepetz,

Thanks for bringing up your great great grandfather. My wife's great great grandfather was in the 1st Michigan Cavalry (in Custer's Brigade) that also fought this day a few miles from Pickett's charge.

We spent a good deal of time at the East Cavalry Field in April when we were down there. It was a very strange feeling, looking out over the field, realizing that had Darwin Lewis Olney died that day, my wife's great grandfather would never have been born (he was born in Sept 1864) and a whole line of descendents, including my wife, would never exist.

VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Certainly something strange to think about. I do not have to contemplate the "what ifs" from that battle as my great grandfather had already been born six years before. Nonetheless, Lynch Sr. survived that day and lived to see the 20th century, finally passing in 1907.

Side note: In March of '64 Lynch was convicted of being Absent Without Leave at Petersburg and was forced to forfeit four months pay. I am embarrassed to admit that although I live only 70 miles south of Gettysburg, I have never been. Consider myself absent without leave.[:D]

Col. Brad Slepetz
3/1/III/AoG