American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:13 pm 

It is nice to be able to put faces to names...except for you Larry!!![:D]

General Jeff Bangma
Commander, Army of the Potomac

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:16 pm 

Who is the LITTLE guy in the back row. Strange looking fella, with more legs than most! Well, maybe not so much considering the company.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:06 pm 

Am I to understand that someone has contrived to turn General Moose into a sporran?[:D]

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/XXAoC.htm"]XO, Army of the Cumberland[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:57 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
<br />Am I to understand that someone has contrived to turn General Moose into a sporran?[:D]

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:D][:D][:D][^]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:33 am 

Lordy, what a crew![:o)]

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
I/I/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:25 am 

Col. Quick,

Thanks for sharing. Besides a couple of officers I recognize from Tiller Con II, it's great to have faces with some of the other club members I've only met on-line.

I'm looking forward to more photos of trip highlights.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)
CCC - Lieutenant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:41 am 

Great photo Larry. Wished I could have been there but I'm in the middle of rebuilding my house and, as it's turning out, it's a 24/7 endeavor.

I looked at the photo before you posted your follow up note and it looked like it was the same spot we set up in in '04. I remember suggesting the Rebs on one side of the fence and the Feds on the other as it seemed better then everyone just smiling for the camera where they happened to be standing. But now I know why you switched sides, for future shots you didn't want to climb over that fence!!!!

Again, great shot Larry. Looking forward to seeing others.

Gen. Doug Burke
XX/AoC/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:08 am 
Col.Quick,

It must be time for some new glasses suh! As that is not me holding Gen.Moose. LOL

Lt.Col. G.L.Caverly
2nd Div., II Corps
AotM
"Give em' the cold steel"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:13 pm 

A few of my pictures

Here we are in the morning at the Washington Monument at South Mountain.

Picture taken by Gen Vannada's charming wife Lady Dana.

The 6th New Hampshire marches into position

Company Attention! Load rifles!

Fire !!!

Later Gen Moose joins the band in a serenade to the ACWGC group.

More to come.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:43 pm 

That was a sly plan having us Yanks climb through the fence. Hell, I'm still pickin' splinters out me...well you can guess.

But it was a great excursion, and a tremendous pleasure to meet and make new friends and to see old friends again. Thank you Notso and Gen. Moose for putting this all together. An excellent job for which I SALUTE you both. I can't wait for the next opportunity to do it again.

Col. Bill Spitz
3rd Division
I Corps
Army of the Potomac
[image]http://tmg110.tripod.com/federal/us-1c3d.gif[/image]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:02 pm 

Thanks for sharing!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:34 am 

Wow what a crew, the youngest one being a moose [:D]. Not I can put a face to a name and looks like I'm fighting with Papa

Respectfully,
Maj. Gen. Gery Bastiani
II Corps, 3rd Div. Tarheel Division
AotM CSA
VMI Instructor
"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:04 am 
Has anyone noticed that Hank Smith is not really adjusting his glasses but using some sign language toward the Yanks? [:D]

Lt.Col. G.L.Caverly
2nd Div., II Corps
AotM
"Give em' the cold steel"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:19 pm 

Gentlemen,

I travelled to Antietam with my brother, Mark Fogarty, an editor and a journalist. While he is not a member of the club, he enjoyed meeting the crazy gamers and was a good aide-de-camp for the excursion. As I expected, he wrote about the event, coupled with his thoughts at the battlefield. Taken from his myspace blog, which follows:

In the Beauty of the Cornfields

It's just dusk by the observation tower on the Antietam battlefield on a summer Saturday evening. A group of close observers of the American Civil War is about to drink a toast to those who fell in a staggering effusion of blood on one awful September day in 1862. I look down the open field where the tough boyos of the 69th New York, the Irish Brigade, came charging up the slope into withering fire from Confederates taking advantage of the cover of the Sunken Road. Three deer are walking along the line of fire, utterly at ease.

I have often marveled at the beauty of the places where our national tragedy played out, the bitter poignancy of all these brave men dying, to take the lyrics of a pertinent song, in the beauty of the lilies. (Or if not in the lilies, in the cornfields or peach orchards or summer meadows of our extravagantly beautiful rural America.)

The battlefield at Antietam (just outside Sharpsburg, MD) is staggeringly beautiful on this Saturday. The sun pours down on its grass fields and cornfields and creeks and dark forests and rolling pastures, cupped by hills that fade into summer haze. The corn is ripening today in Maryland, full in stalk and leaf, ready for harvesting, the palpable sweetness of this America of ours. That day, Sept. 17, 1862, saw a different harvest, more than 20,000 of our finest and bravest men, in a bloody mess that stands as the most appalling day of bloodletting in American history. And yet it led directly to the biggest moral victory of the war, the emancipation of slaves and the molasses-slow start towards racial equality in this country that continues today and will take generations more.

The beauty of Antietam and Gettysburg, just a couple of dozen miles away over the Pennsylvania border, seems to me not just an atmospheric underlining of what happened at these historic places but a natural reproach to our human habit of designating our own kind as outsiders and going after them with such murderous ferocity, cutting down the human harvest that co-exists with the grass and the trees and the water.

I have come to Antietam with my brother John, who belongs to a group called the American Civil War Game Club, a group of Civil War enthusiasts that replays the battles online and takes a passionate interest in both the games and the history that produced them. They are an interesting group of people from both the north and south of this country, including both Union and Confederate partisans. The Rebs definitely outnumber the Yanks in this company of irregulars, and there is a good bit of goodnatured bashing that goes on between the sides, and some that's less than goodnatured. (Losing the war seems to have left some Southern guys bruised, even at this late date.) Still, we make up an amiable bunch of guys (and one lively woman) who manage to spend a weekend together in amity.

There's strength in numbers, so our tour of the battleground comes with some perks. A tip of the hat to the group's leader, Larry Quick, who arranged the whole itinerary, including a special concert just for us, and to Bill Spitz, our very knowledgeable personal tour guide

So what was going on at Antietam? The Confederates, under Robert E. Lee, had invaded the North in a show of force to influence foreign governments to recognize the Confederacy and perhaps even end the war by beating the Northern armies and forcing the Union side to sue for peace. The Yankees, under George McClellan, the slowpoke general who organized the Army of the Potomac magnificently but never seemed to move aggressively on the attack, now were trying to throw the Rebs back across the Potomac into Virginia. The usually canny Gen. Lee, brilliant in Virginia but apt to make puzzling moves north of the Potomac, had divided his forces and sent Gen. Stonewall Jackson and his men to capture Harper's Ferry, so he was severely outnumbered as the engagement began. Worse, his plans had been discovered by the Federals so Gen. McClellan was less fearful than usual about attacking.

Our tour of Antietam with Bill Spitz begins around noon at the Confederate artillery position near the Dunker Church, overlooking the initial Union assault through the cornfield. Bill tells a story of carnage and confusion, with positions changing hands multiple times and a couple of timely ambushes by the Rebels, who outgeneral the Union side handily during the course of the day but are bled white by the force of numbers on the other side and their unusual willingness to grapple. A just-in-time reappearance by the fearsome Stonewall Jackson pushes the Union forces back later in the day on the Yanks' right wing.

After inspecting the Dunker Church (tiny!) we visit the 6th New Hampshire regiment, modern-day re-enactors who are taking the shade of the trees against the noonday sun nearby. Larry Quick (everyone calls him Notso) has arranged a private performance of the regimental band for us, and the fellows gamely gather up their instruments in the heat of the day and play period songs. They have two guitars, a ukulele, a banjo, a washboard (used for percussion) and an elementary one-string bass attached to a washtub! This is a highlight of the day for me.

On the other side of the battlefield, Bill shows us where 2nd and 20th Georgia soldiers confound several Union attempts to cross the narrow Burnside Bridge across Antietam Creek. By Bill's rangefinder, the Georgia sharpshooters are just eighty yards from the Union troops trying to cross, and havoc ensues. Eventually sheer force of numbers prevails, but Union meekness in following up curtails a rout of the Rebs and in fact Union forces later retreat on their left wing as well.

Fighting around the Sunken Road epitomizes the brutal slugfest that Antietam was, as it is famously described later as so piled with dead bodies it is possible to walk up and down it without foot touching ground.

The usual descriptions of Union victory are hard to reconcile with the battlefield reality, which indicates a gruesome and bloody draw. However, this turns into victory (and a foreshadowing of the tactic Ulysses S. Grant will use to crush the insurrection, by repeated engagements that bleed the Confederates dry of soldiers). Lee knows he cannot continue to incur such losses as he has taken at Antietam, and withdraws from the field and across the Potomac.

Abraham Lincoln, though, now has the victory he needs to make the Emancipation Proclamation more than just an empty gesture. So Antietam leads to the freeing of the slaves, and the painful process of lifting the stain on our nation's soul that has resulted from more than two centuries of human enslavement. This terrible effusion of blood is followed by a great effusion of freedom.

Notso has started a tradition (begun last year at Gettysburg) of returning to the battlefield at dusk to toast the fallen soldiers of both sides. So we return to the observation tower as it is growing dark. My brother points out the deer grazing peacefully in the killing field

I am glad to join the men of the club (and the woman) as we swig from flasks and pay tribute to each of the more than 20,000 men killed or wounded on that deadly day. Each of them fought for their own conception of freedom, and all of us who join in the toast and all of us in America today enjoy the freedom they were passionate enough about to devote the utmost of their spirits to, up to and including their lives. The union that was regained produced the people who fought and destroyed fascism and communism and saved the world, and America still has the capacity to lead the world, no matter how awful the current generalship is.

There comes a booming from the far horizon, a slow cannonade from Nature on her summer campaign, a salute to the soldiers of the summer fields who no longer can be told apart from the wheat and the corn and the trees. No matter which side of the creek they lined up on, I'm certain these men would be happy to see us. We are northerners and southerners, as they were. We are Americans, as they were. We are the people they fought for and died for, and we have inherited their cornfields and their churches and their creeks and their woods, America the beautiful.

Copyright 2007 Mark F. Fogarty

regards,

Col John Fogarty
2nd Brigade, 'Carlin's Cavaliers'
1st Division, XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland

Lt. John Fogarty
2nd Brigade "Carlin's Cavaliers"
First Division
XX Corps
Army of the Cumberland