American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:03 pm 

I am curious to know what the rest of you think about opponents upgrading in the middle of a game. My take on this subject is as follows: your first consideration should be to the members with whom you currently have games ongoing. If you want to upgrade a game, you should check with <u>all</u> of your opponents to see if they are comfortable with an upgrade mid-game. If not and you accept a new game and your new opponent wants to play at an upgraded level, you should do what I just suggested. If any of your current opponents is not in favor of an upgrade, either decline the new offer or reload your game in a new folder, upgrade it and use that to play the new game. The reason for this post is this: I have had two campaigns and several scenario battles that have had to be discontinued/cancelled because I had other opponents of the same game title upgrade and some of my opponents, through tech probs or computer unfamiliarity, have not been able to get their game files upgraded. Like I said, your first consideration should be to the people you have ongoing games with.

General Jeff Bangma
Commander, Army of the Potomac

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:27 pm 

I can't think of any reason not to upgrade...this isn't a Windows OS version, but rather enhancements to the game. I agree you should coordinate with your opponets, but it shouldn't be a matter of if, but rather when the update will be applied. I can only think of one time in the ACW series where it was suggested an update not be applied mid-game and that was when Drew did a bunch of map changes.

If anyone is having problems getting their game upgraded please direct them to Support at hpssims.com

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:31 pm 

It's mainly a matter of consideration, but there are enhancements with the upgrades that could put one player at an advantage depending on when the upgrades are applied. I would suggest that a) there should be a club-wide announcement when upogrades are avaialble, and b) my first post...

General Jeff Bangma
Commander, Army of the Potomac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:32 pm 

I think it is always best to upgrade.

However, this is absolutely no reason to forfeit games. It is a very simple matter to copy your game files to another folder, rename it and use the UN-upgraded folder for the old games, then upgrade your original game.

This is the best way to keep up with the upgrades. HPS is constantly trying to do better and the upgrades are the way older games are fitted with the new features, like capturing/spiking guns.

Anyone that has problems upgrading/copying, etc can always ask for help and we can usually get them fixed up.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:20 am 

I frankly dislike any club rule or suggestion (which is more what this would be) that tells people that they're not to play the most current update of the game. If they want to do what Ernie suggests, that's great. I can teach them how to do that, and it takes about 2 minutes, and most of that is computer time as the hard drive whirrs.

However, to ask people not to upgrade until all their games are complete? That lets a minority dictate things. All it would take is a couple of players who keep a large number of games going (4-6 each), and through the "web" of their games, they'd "lock up" 30+ different gamers from updating.

I don't want to be in a situation where I have to tell Players A, B, C" I don't care if you want to upgrade, you can't, because Player D refuses to"

Major General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:54 am 

I think all upgrades are announced here.

Also,

Rarely will an upgrade affect an ongoing game. Optional rule enhancements will only take effect at the start of a game.

PDT, troop quality changes from the OOB, and Map changes will also take immediate effect.

Unit strengths, and scn changes will not.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:37 am 

I prefer to upgrade when the upgrade release happens, but I always work through that with my opponents. To date, I've never had a one not coordinate a mutual upgrade when we finished a turn, etc.

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/