American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:13 am 

It is my understanding that the MATRIX games WLL NOT be compatuble with the Talonsoft versions.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:09 pm 
As far as I may argue I can't imagine any incompatibility for PBEM purposes between the old Talonsoft titles and the ones re-issued by Matrix; the scenarios, oob, pdt and map files are the same of the latest updated Talonsoft versions.

A good opportunity to get those beautiful, "classic" games, mainly for the players who still lack them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:15 am 

It's a little frustrating that the TS games ALMOST work in Vista. I've accessed my old HD with the TS games installed and they seem to work perfectly up to the point it needs to access the scenario file. Just gives a message saying as much. The map comes up correctly, though. I've tried NEW game pointing directly at the .scn file and it still fails. Any programmer types have an idea what would cause it to fail opening the .scn files????

I do have them working in Virtual PC but it's sluggish there.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:25 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Luciano Bassotti</i>
<br />As far as I may argue I can't imagine any incompatibility for PBEM purposes between the old Talonsoft titles and the ones re-issued by Matrix; the scenarios, oob, pdt and map files are the same of the latest updated Talonsoft versions.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, being as you can't play a PBEM game between HPS Gettysburg 1.0 & 1.2 (both players must be on the same version of the engine) then I could easily see why an altered exe modified to support Vista would not work with the older ones.

Mind you I have no inside information on this, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they didn't work together.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:55 am 

I would think that anyone actually interested in not uselessly spending their money, would contact MATRIX and ask them.

They might answer you.[;)]

ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:47 pm 

I agree with Notso,, I prefer the Battleground Games as well,,the eye candy alone makes them enjoyable to play,, and being half blind the maps are easy on the eyes.

BG. VANNADA
HEADQUATERS:
2nd INFT.DIV.
2ND CORPS
AOA

http://www.geocities.com/heydreck/AOA.h ... 3437?20075

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:24 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
I do know that if John Tiller went to the effort to help bring this edition along then I am all for it.

The ONLY thing John did was provide them with a new compile of the 32-bit engine...so I certainly wouldn't say he put much effort into it, nor is he behind it. They are simply using his name since they are his games originally.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:33 am 

Personally I hope that this new exposure to the older BG games will provide new interest in the HPS series.

Bill, I think your comments regarding Ernie's statement is too harsh and uncalled for. Ernie is certainly entitled to his opinion, as are you.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:37 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>

Even though I heartily support the HPS product line in many ways I prefer the older BG series. I wont go into all of the differences and so on. I do know that if John Tiller went to the effort to help bring this edition along then I am all for it.

We all "grew up" on the BG line of games. In some ways (ability to modify the OB) they are superior to the HPS series. In other ways (more battles, engine enhancements and obviously a campaign approach) they are not.

The club supports the older series as well as the new. I believe it in the best interest of all of us to offer up information on the older as well as the newer series of games. Rather than promote a HPS only mentality we aught to realize that there are those who really prefer to play the older games just as much as the new. The club must continue to help support the older series as long as this much interest remains.

That's the point, Bill. I agree completely, there's little to add on the matter. Everything which may feed our hobby, both from the HPS and the Battleground series, is and will be welcome.

Lt.Col. Luciano Bassotti
"Lee's Foreign Legion"
3/1/II/ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:19 am 

For BILL PETERS:

You are out of my Christmas list.[:D][:p]

Remember the ONLY, ONLY, definitive answer to all this stuff about MATRIX is from MATRIX, not from any helper wannabbees that have NO knowledge of what MATRIX is actually doing or actually NOT doing with their games.

So, the best answer is NOT to speculate, but to ask MATRIX or wait until they producce the games.

ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:39 am 
I remain confident in the positive effects of the reissue of the Battleground series, I can't see anything wrong with it, since many of the most recent members of our community haven't the chance to get those old masterpieces in the past years, in particular BG Chickamauga seems a very rare item which still reaches high prices on eBay.

...probably it makes me a helper wannabbee with no knowledge...

Lt.Col. Luciano Bassotti
"Lee's Foreign Legion"
3/1/II/ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:58 pm 
I would like to know, since one of the main peculiarities of the BG series is the graphic quality of the maps, what's the opinion of the members of our community about the best among the three graphic styles used for the maps in the ACW BG games:

- the first style, used in BG Gettysburg and BG Shilo;
- the second style, used in BG Antietam and Bull Run;
- the third style in the fashion of West Front, used for BG Chickamauga.

My favourite is the second one, used in BG Antietam and BG Bull Run.

Lt.Col. Luciano Bassotti
"Lee's Foreign Legion"
3/1/II/ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:13 am 

I loved the graphics on the old Battleground games, but now that I have all the graphical mods I need (from various sources, many of the terrain elements derived from the Talonsoft WWII campaign series [- as used in BG Chickamauga too of course!], and especially with Rolf Hall's unit icons) I honestly think the HPS games look just as good - to me at least.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/Western_Theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:33 am 

I always play in 2D, and I like the HPS 2D better. One thing cool about the HPS 3D zoom is the extra detail given the troop stands.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
<br />I loved the graphics on the old Battleground games, but now that I have all the graphical mods I need (from various sources, many of the terrain elements derived from the Talonsoft WWII campaign series [- as used in BG Chickamauga too of course!], and especially with Rolf Hall's unit icons) I honestly think the HPS games look just as good - to me at least.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/Western_Theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:53 am 
My question was about the graphic styles used in the BATTLEGROUND 3d maps. I'm wondering if there's any chance to know what's the favourite graphic style used in the different BATTLEGROUND games.

Lt.Col. Luciano Bassotti
"Lee's Foreign Legion"
3/1/II/ANV

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next