American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:57 am 

I've also settled in to the 2D maps across the games - Colonial to Civil to WWII....

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:49 pm 

I suppose I would go for Antietam and Bull Run.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:08 am 
NWS has an estimated release date of 10/7 and a price of $29.99.
Not too bad.
I have no choice to repurchase due to having Vista.

Lt. Col. T. Brewster
2nd Ohio Rifles
1st Division
II Corps
AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:50 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
<br />I loved the graphics on the old Battleground games, but now that I have all the graphical mods I need (from various sources, many of the terrain elements derived from the Talonsoft WWII campaign series [- as used in BG Chickamauga too of course!], and especially with Rolf Hall's unit icons) I honestly think the HPS games look just as good - to me at least.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

With your graphics sets--they do.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:19 am 

Where do you get these downloads?
Perhaps they should be stickied

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
<br />I loved the graphics on the old Battleground games, but now that I have all the graphical mods I need (from various sources, many of the terrain elements derived from the Talonsoft WWII campaign series [- as used in BG Chickamauga too of course!], and especially with Rolf Hall's unit icons) I honestly think the HPS games look just as good - to me at least.

With your graphics sets--they do.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:03 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />Where do you get these downloads?
Perhaps they should be stickied<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Rich, I got most of the terrain graphics from here: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/downloa ... o=cat&id=4 . And I got the unit icons from here: http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWCGDC/rol ... aphics.htm . I've mixed and matched various files from various mods and modified some of them myself too. A lot of terrain mods you see being made available are derived from Talonsoft's East Front/West Front. I back up the modded 'map' folders for all my HPS games because it would take me a long time to collect/create them all again.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/Western_Theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:53 am 

Thanks,

I'll try it when I get home

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Antony Barlow</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />Where do you get these downloads?
Perhaps they should be stickied<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Rich, I got most of the terrain graphics from here: http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/downloa ... o=cat&id=4 . And I got the unit icons from here: http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWCGDC/rol ... aphics.htm . I've mixed and matched various files from various mods and modified some of them myself too. A lot of terrain mods you see being made available are derived from Talonsoft's East Front/West Front. I back up the modded 'map' folders for all my HPS games because it would take me a long time to collect/create them all again.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/Western_Theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:00 am 

While I am glad to hear that matrix is going to come out with an updated set of the old BG games for them wot is so excited and wants them, I personally am not going to be springing for them. I am still using XP and HAD hoped and planned that even when I have to buy a new machine and go to VISTA, that I would keep an old machine set up...heckfire...you can play those old games on a PI 100 or winx machine, save the file to a disk and walk over to your new shiny black VISTA monster and send it off with email...not too much of a hassle...but ya all are going out and spendin' sixty bucks on the new ones though I will believe they are sixty bucks when I actually see it...so there won't be no bodies to play with old Tom. And then I will have to loosen up the sock and buy them all again...which BTW I did about 10 months ago when I jined back up...I beat the bushes for all of them but Gettysburg which I already had after first getting the loan of a nice gentleman's backups and then I found each of them on eBay and other seller forums including Chickamauga. So if the club ends fully subscribing to the new matrix versions my back up plan will be all shot to zero since no one will want to play the old ones...is that hearts and flowers I hear playing in the background?...so the good news about Matrix comes to me as bad news that my hard sought collection of all the BGs will likely be unloaded for ten cents on the dollar in a yard sale...how sad is that? Actually I guess before I would do that I would just nail them up on the wall of my attic wargaming room and call it nostalgia for the "good old days." [:(]

Brigadier General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AT, CTH, GB, OZK, SH, VK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:47 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tciampa</i>
<br />BUT YOU DO HAVE A CHOICE Col. Brewster...you can buy a garage sale PI, PII or PIII for about twenty bucks all in and find a corner to plug it in, play the game on it, save it to a disk and then walk over to your VISTA built-in obsolescence, expensive machine and email it...of course if your shiny new Vista monster does not come equipped with a floppy drive and your garage sale acquisition doesn't have a RW CD drive or USB port....then you DON 'T have a choice. Too bad...they are such great fun those old BG games to wit? more than ten years later we are still playing and enjoying them...think about that...I first played them on a 486 Win3.1 machine in the mid-90's...yet...I have Win95 and win98 games that truly are obsolete because no matter what I have tried they won't run under XP but even Chickamauga would do so with Rich Hamilton's patch...and yes I do know how to configure dos games for XP....when they are "configurable." The point here is that it is testament to the programming of the Talonsoft games and John Tiller's support of them years after they were supposed to be obsolete that we can still...as we speak...play them on an XP machine. I don't care how things have progressed, just because they are old dosen't mean tney are no good...I am old but I still work [:D] for now anyway. And I still watch black and white films from the 50's too. New is not always better, just different. [:(] And old is not bad, also just different. My favorite TV channel is TCM the Turner Movie Classics and the films are great...old but great...too bad our wargame classics can not be so well revered and preserved.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TBrewster</i>
<br />NWS has an estimated release date of 10/7 and a price of $29.99.
Not too bad.
I have no choice to repurchase due to having Vista.

Lt. Col. T. Brewster
2nd Ohio Rifles
1st Division
II Corps
AoP

Brigadier General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC

Brigadier General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:03 pm 
If I were a bettin' man I would have to put my money on the fact that you, General Ciampa, don't like the VISTA operating system on shiney new machines. I would also have to bet that Vista or shiney new machines will have no effect on your number of opponents for the "old" BG series. I for one will not nail mine to the attic wall. I have every intention of aquireing the two that I don't have. Old or new versions, a fight is a fight and I don't like to limit myself to opponents. There are HPS titles that I'm not particulary fond of but I will continue to purchase each and every one they put out (my wife suspects OCD when it comes to me and the CW).
Regardless of the versions, I agree that the BG series are fine games that will continue to give our club members many hours of enjoyment. And for you and I sir, just that many more Rebs to kick around.

Regards,

Lt. Col. T. Brewster
2nd Ohio Rifles
1st Division
II Corps
AoP

BTW.... Nice artical at the War College.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:45 pm 

Well stated Sir! Thank you. [:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TBrewster</i>
<br />If I were a bettin' man I would have to put my money on the fact that you, General Ciampa, don't like the VISTA operating system on shiney new machines. I would also have to bet that Vista or shiney new machines will have no effect on your number of opponents for the "old" BG series. I for one will not nail mine to the attic wall. I have every intention of aquireing the two that I don't have. Old or new versions, a fight is a fight and I don't like to limit myself to opponents. There are HPS titles that I'm not particulary fond of but I will continue to purchase each and every one they put out (my wife suspects OCD when it comes to me and the CW).
Regardless of the versions, I agree that the BG series are fine games that will continue to give our club members many hours of enjoyment. And for you and I sir, just that many more Rebs to kick around.

Regards,

Lt. Col. T. Brewster
2nd Ohio Rifles
1st Division
II Corps
AoP

BTW.... Nice artical at the War College.

Brigadier General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:43 am 

More to the hobby is not a bad thing by any stretch...

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:45 am 

More to the hobby is not a bad thing by any stretch...

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:21 pm 
Deah Nawthen Sir,
Could you kindy repeat that? [:D]
Sincerely,
B.G. Hank Smith

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:23 pm 
Deah Nawthen Sir,
Could you kindy repeat that? [:D]
Sincerely,
B.G. Hank Smith

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next