American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Take Command
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:54 am 

Ive just got hold of a copy of Mad Minute games ACW 'wargame' Take Command 2nd Manassas. I hadn't heard of it, just stumbled across it really, but I think i'm quite impressed [?] I checked all the forum's here, but cant find any mention of it, did it create a fuss in the club when it was released? Does anyone on here play it multiplayer (hang on, can you play it multiplayer?!)

1st Lt. Jim Wilkes
2nd Bde, Cav Div, XX Corps
Aoc, U.S.A.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:03 am 

Like most new Civil War games, the "Take Command" games were discussed here when it first appeared. You may search the archives for comments, and I suspect you'll find a few.

No, the "Take Command" games are not multi-player, although the authors spent a lot of time making the AI a decent challenge in compensation. They're "real time" games, as opposed to the "turn based" disks currently supported by this club.

You may find the home website for the "Take Command" games at:
http://madminutegames.com/index.htm

Sincerely,
Brig Gen Dwight McBride
V Corps/AOP/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:28 am 
I played it extensively for a while....It is far better than Sid Miers games against the AI.....Best AI I have ever seen....I don't like real time games.....BUT.....if they made it multiplayer, I think it would be the only game I would play....It is by far the best real time game I have ever played.....Having said that....Any AI gets easy to beat after a while.....I tired of it and although it is still on my HD, I no longer play it......Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:31 pm 

I have Madminutes first ACW game Take Command, Bull Run. Like General Smith said about it being fun at first, but once you get to beating up on the AI it gets a little boring. How about the other ACW game from AGEOD has anyone played it yet? Seen it on their site but haven't heard any reviews though.

Respectfully,
Maj. Gen. Gery Bastiani
II Corps, 3rd Div. Tarheel Division
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:56 am 

I have it and must say it is very similiar to SMG. One can almost say it is SMG in 3D. But of course, many things differ.

Anyhow, I think it's an awesome game and if it goes multiplayer some time (not this game but any future ones may), I will surely be interested. For being a real-time game it is not fast at all, and you can play a battle without being stressed, depending on how big it actually is. But even the big ones are easy once you get a hang of it.

I played the Rebels and Redcoats mod and found it to be very enjoyable. Haven't played the game or that mod for some time now, mainly due to lack of time. But all in all, I think it's a great game.

Yours Respectfully
Brig. Gen. Kling
Commanding
2nd Division, VI Corps
AOS, Union Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:31 pm 
From my understanding, there is little or no chance it will go multiplayer......Having said that....I hope it does.....Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:15 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />From my understanding, there is little or no chance it will go multiplayer......Having said that....I hope it does.....Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well perhaps not this game but we can perhaps hope for a future release and that it includes multiplayer.

Yours Respectfully
Brig. Gen. Kling
Commanding
2nd Division, VI Corps
AOS, Union Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:25 am 
We can hope....but in reading their threads.....there was not much demand for it.....most of their gamers liked it as is, and on the threads that a few of us pushed in favor of it, we were attacked quited a bit by persons thinking it a waste of time....Likely they won't bother given the responses on their boards....I believe one of them mentioned that multiplayer would be an extensive thing to add to their engine for them also.....Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:55 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />We can hope....but in reading their threads.....there was not much demand for it.....most of their gamers liked it as is, and on the threads that a few of us pushed in favor of it, we were attacked quited a bit by persons thinking it a waste of time....Likely they won't bother given the responses on their boards....I believe one of them mentioned that multiplayer would be an extensive thing to add to their engine for them also.....Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ah ok. We'll just have to hope then :).

Yours Respectfully
Brig. Gen. Kling
Commanding
2nd Division, VI Corps
AOS, Union Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:55 am 
I hope also....just not gonna hold my breath.....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:11 am 

Well, after being very impressed initially, I don't think it's quite as good as I'd hoped. Somehow i't just feels a bit 'dead' really. Certainly the A.I. is the most competent i've seen in a realtime game of this kind. I enjoy leading just a Brigade in the bigger scenario's but there's still not much appeal to it for me. If I could play it against one or more human opponents I think it would be near perfect? I think i'll stick to Rome: Total Realism rather than this though.

Final verdict? 7/10 and good value for money...

Capt. Jim Wilkes
2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, XX Corps,
AoC, U.S.A.