American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tutorials Available?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:48 pm 
Does anyone know if there are tutorials for the Battleground ACW games out there?

I've read through most of the manual and played a bit with the game, but am still a bit perplexed about the intricacies of formations, stacking limits, LOS, etc.

If there's a suitably small map & quick battle with limited units that you know of where I could quickly cut my teeth I'd greatly appreciate information about how to get it.

This looks like a fun and well organized club so I'm looking forward to facing folks on the field of battle!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:16 pm 

Go to http://www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/ and you can join either side. When you join, they assign you to an instructor who will fight you in a small battle. It is designed as a tutorial as he will teach you how to PBEM and register our battles, club etiquette, and give you lots of hints and sources for study. The cost is minimal, it is free. The joy is everlasting.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/1/VIII/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:21 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsimms</i>
<br />Go to http://www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/ and you can join either side. When you join, they assign you to an instructor who will fight you in a small battle. It is designed as a tutorial as he will teach you how to PBEM and register our battles, club etiquette, and give you lots of hints and sources for study. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Awesome! I submitted my membership request today so hopefully I will hear back about that soon. I'm looking to get started. I played a few scenarios in Bull Run tonight of the 8 & 10 round variety.

My biggest lesson...PAY ATTENTION TO FACING!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:39 pm 

Have you tried any of the HPS ACW titles? Each comes with a "Getting Started" scenario with a text instruction.

And HPS has a deal that if you buy 3 they give you 5 games!

Welcome to the ACWGC!

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:38 am 
We're glad you're here Sparty! Of course, when filling out an application the obvious choice for affiliation is Confederate and of the Southron options the Army of Georgia is an excellent choice. [;)]

Not that I am in the least bit biased. [:p]

Joking aside, we're glad you're here and hope you'll enjoy your time in the ACWGC as much as we do. If you need help with anything just ask. We have a whole club full of <i>experts</i>, and <i>rouges</i> I mean, knowledgeable folks who will help you out anytime hehehehe. [:p][:D][:)]

Lt. Gen. Mike Smith
Army of Georgia
Commanding
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_admin/phpbb2/index.php?f=28"]Miss Clarissa's Tavern
[/url][url="http://convolutedmuse.com"]ConvolutedMuse[/url]

"We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counter-intuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is an absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door." - Richard Lewontin, ‘Billions and billions of demons,’ The New York Review (January 9, 1997), 31.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:09 am 
I still haven't heard back yet on my application. I did not specify anything other than CSA. I live in North Carolina so wherever the North Carolina Regiments were historically assigned would be excellent as my army preference! For some reason I cannot find a good resource to look that up. I can find the regimental designations, etc. for NC units.

Anyone have a good reference for historical army oob that are online?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:35 am 

If you go to goggle and type in American Civil War, you'll get a bunch of hits. But one I remember it has the North Carolina units that fought during the War of Northern Aggression. I stay in NC. just outside of Wilmington before here I stayed up in Greensboro. Don't believe what General Smith has to say, he's a Flowriddingian you need to pick either the ANV or AotM they both had North Carolina units. Besides Flowriddingians are nothing but transplanted YANKEES [:D] and those that can't take the heat down there they move half way back north and settle in either NC or SC and we call them HALF BACKS, cause they only go half way back to YANKEE LAND [:p] Just kidding General Smith[:D]One of the sites is called American Civil War Homepage the other is American Civil War Research Site for Maps battles timelines

Respectfully,
Maj. Gen. Gery Bastiani
II Corps, 3rd Div. Tarheel Division
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:20 am 
Thanks. I would prefer ANV if possible given the involvement of North Carolina soldiers with that army in Gettysburg and Sharpsburg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:49 am 

It pains me so to see the rebelion grow as it does. Oh well, more rebs to beat on.

6th Brigade,3rd Division
XXIII Corps
Army of the Ohio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:08 am 
heh. Well, I grew up in MI, but I never felt any connection to fight for that state. I would, however, fight for NC so my decision was easy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:21 am 

Thats Ok.A transplanted yankee. Boy whats the world coming to[:D]

Lt. Charles Babb
6th Brigade,3rd Division
XXIII Corps
Army of the Ohio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:27 am 

Guess I should fess up. I lived in Georgia for 12 years and almost set a home but my wife being the true yankee woman that she is straightened me out. Showed me my evil ways and thoughts and brought me back north kicken and screaming.[:p]

Lt. Charles Babb
6th Brigade,3rd Division
XXIII Corps
Army of the Ohio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:43 am 
lol. Yeah the saying down here is something like just because you stand in the garage it doesn't make you a Cadillac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:06 pm 

lol.[:D] This is to true.

Lt. Charles Babb
6th Brigade,3rd Division
XXIII Corps
Army of the Ohio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:31 pm 

Were's that onorery General Smith, usually when I pick on him he usually has a come back..... guess it's true then about him being a Flowriddingian [:D]. The worst nightmare for us Southerners is when a new neihbor moves in next door and they have New Jesery tags on their cars [:p] or you'll never hear a true redneck say "hey honey lets sell the pickup and buy a sedan" Mr. Sparty when you get to VMI let your instructor know which Army "ANV, AotM, AoG.....etc" you'd like to be with and they can try and get you your choice, or if you bribe General Tisdale [:D][:p] Good Luck

Respectfully,
Maj. Gen. Gery Bastiani
II Corps, 3rd Div. Tarheel Division
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet