American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:31 am 

Why would it not be safe ?

I have never experianced anything that would suggest this. As a matter of fact I have never had any tech difficulties either with anything Larry has ever done for me.

<center>Image
General John Corbin
Commander in Chief
Army of The Shenandoah
USA</center>

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:10 am 

Larry,

You have done a great job helping set up the Army of Georgia site and when minor mishaps have been noticed we have turned to you, and you have corrected them with a bit of fun along the way.
You have done us proud, so we have no fears with ACWGC.ORG or it staff. I suppose I'd better include General Moose in that, even though I was quite tempted to help General Harney capture and shoot him! My apologies General Moose.

Lt.Gen.Paul Smith
Interim Commander Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:03 pm 
General Quick,
Given that you have a history of substantially unstable, rude, obnoxious, pushy behavior, and have been thrown out of the Yankee Army, only to later see the light and come over to the righteous Southern cause, should we not fear that you will blow a processor, and do some evil, dispicable, and truly dastardly deed to all our precious data? Sir, are there any guarantees that this might not happen? Are there any guarantees that now, being a loyal Southern "Gentleman", you might not decide to nail the "Evil Northern Type Aggressers" data? Hmmmm, Great idea, huh!!!! Let me rephrase that last......Any guarantess that you will?
Quaking in my boots at the thought,

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:32 pm 
Hmmmm,
I guess being the out of control evil type, you are just too chicken to repond to a little tough journalism? I guess I got you really good, huh?

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:49 pm 

I am surprised to hear of any rumour that acwgc.org could be subject to the terrors that inhabit the rest of the world-wide web.

Just what would be the difference if a club website was hosted at a website other than acwgc.org?

regards

General Mark Oakford
Commander
Army of the Potomac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:05 pm 

This is starting to smell [:(][:(][:(] like politics...

<center>Image
General John Corbin
Commander in Chief
Army of The Shenandoah
USA</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:54 pm 

Gen. Notso <salute>

I have only been a member for a short time, but find your club and the ACWGC site to be a great place to hang out and enjoy with no problems found

Lt. Charles Babb
6th Brigade,3rd Division
XXIII Corps
Army of the Ohio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:34 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Oakford</i>
<br />Just what would be the difference if a club website was hosted at a website other than acwgc.org?

General Mark Oakford
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

General Oakford,

There is absolutely no requirement that anyone use Larry's 'acwgc.org' site for hosting any club web site. There is, in fact, no official affiliation between Larry's site and the club. There have been some who have even raised the point that he usurped the name of the club by naming his site thus without first getting such approval. That is water under the bridge, however. Suffice it to say that Larry has offered to help any club member set up their club-related sites at his site for quite some time now. Everyone has the option to build their own, without going through Larry's site.

I'm actually surprised that Larry chose this route to chase down 'rumors'. If such rumors did, indeed, exist, he should be able to trace them via the emails they came from. Of course, I receive enough 'junk' emails to know it is entirely possible to send them anonymously, but it would take someone with a lot of technical know-how to do that, and it would seem to be a lot of trouble to go through. If anyone DID have such knowledge and wanted to go through that trouble, it seems doubtful that person would reply to a posting such as this.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, 3/2/I/AotM (Club President & Cabinet Member)
CCC - Lieutenant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Department, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:00 pm 

Not exactly sure what this is all about. I do know that two years ago when I took command of the AoS we had two forums, one open and one private both of which got so bad with the pop up ads that it was ridiculous. Our muster was handled via email. Currently we have two forums on the acwgc.org site and a web based muster site there also. I can't say enough about the assistance I've gotten from Larry and the others that help him out.

As to it not being safe, if this refers to deliberate destruction of data I don't have any worries about that. If I didn't trust Larry and the gang then I wouldn't have taken them up on the offer to host the AoS taverns and muster site.

On the other hand if you store data on a webpage on the internet and don't back it up somewhere else I'd say you're crazy. You never know whan a HDD is going to crash or the site close down. I keep copies of all my webpage files, pictures and other data on two different computers and until my DVD burner recently crapped out used to back up all my data files every few months.

Gen. Ken Miller

1/2/VI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:06 pm 
Well said Ken.....Course youn's alway got thins covered....Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:06 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notso</i>
<br />I started ACWGC.ORG over three years ago. With my skills and experience, I thought it would be a good way of giving back to the club that has given me so much.

The site is provided by a hosting company in California called EacyCGI.com. I pay $21.56 a month for their services. This is what is offered on the site: http://www.easycgi.com/services/advanced+x4.html

I offer, free of charge, the services of the site to any ACWGC club member. There is no requirement that the services be used solely for our club purposes. All I ask it that no commercial endeavors take place. There are several websites being hosted that support other clubs.

Knowing how important a service like this can be, I did not want the “keys to the kingdomâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:24 am 
Notso,
I see you weren't really chicken (probably too busy plotting the demise of the Union) to answer....I know I feel completely reassured (As if I was ever actually worried). Well I guess I can quit being sarcastic now......I am well aware that you have been completely honorable in your handling of the sight......We owe you a debt of gratitude.....Thanks,

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:56 am 
I've been fortunate to benefit from these efforts both on a club and a personal level. While I have come to know the process, pop off an e-mail and ask, what might a new Corps or Army Commander want to know concerning available services of the ACWGC.ORG domain and staff?

Lt. Gen. M. Conrad Smith
4th Division, III Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:25 am 

Sorry, you got me. And this is a trick question (I already know an answer!)

Apologies to those from Oz who know

Please explain...

...exactly what Gen Horatio Moose does.

As an aside, I am interested because the answer has to be a goodie! [:D]

Larry, the world is your court! [:p]

General Mark Oakford
Commander
Army of the Potomac