American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:28 am 

What are everyone's thoughts on the abilities of the TS and HPS games engines to represent a 1864 Cold Harbor type battle? Does one do a better job then the other?

Any suggestions on how these type of frontal assault battles could be better replicated by the game engine? i.e. additional modifiers or game options?

Maj Gen Boyd Denner,
2nd Division Commanding
II Corps
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:58 am 

Sir!

Take a look at the Siege of Atlanta scenario in Campaign Atlanta.

I battered myself senseless into a major defeat. This battle was not actually fought but is an example of a frontal assault against a prepared position.

Col Thompson
1/3/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:45 am 

HPS Corinth 1.01 could be used to create a scenario for it. The main problem with HPS system and entrenchments are the soft zones. If you are using this rule then the Rebs have a problem if they don't have sufficient units to occupy the whole line. I like the soft ZOC but to play an entrenched line it probably needs to be turned off.

The biggest job is to come up with a map on 120 yard hex scale. If you decide to undertake such a project there are people who have supporting files and data for doing it.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:51 am 

<font color="yellow">Why a 120 yard hex scale?</font id="yellow">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KWhitehead</i>
<br />HPS Corinth 1.01 could be used to create a scenario for it. The main problem with HPS system and entrenchments are the soft zones. If you are using this rule then the Rebs have a problem if they don't have sufficient units to occupy the whole line. I like the soft ZOC but to play an entrenched line it probably needs to be turned off.

The biggest job is to come up with a map on 120 yard hex scale. If you decide to undertake such a project there are people who have supporting files and data for doing it.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Maj Gen Boyd Denner,
2nd Division Commanding
II Corps
ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:46 pm 

To be exact they are 125 yards across. If you change the scale then you have to change all the pdt parameters to match. I have never tested this to see if all the parameters are accessible or not. The parameters, time and distance are closely interlinked. I think some people have done some company level scenarios but I don't know whether they also changed time and distances scales.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:46 am 

Sir, where do the 120 or 125 yard hexes come into play? I'm not sure why you said <i>"The biggest job is to come up with a map on 120 (or 125) yard hex scale"</i>

Confused, but that's not out of the ordinary. [:)]

Yes, I agree soft zones are a problem with entrenchment warfare. I also think entrenched defender's fire isn't represented well enough by the game engine either. True, units behind entrenchments or embankments get a defensive bonus, but I think they should get a positive offensive modifier for firing behind head-logs/top-logs too. The men can take better aim resting their rifles and knowing their noggins have some protection. The question is though which battles were fought with entrenchments that used head-logs.

Maj Gen Boyd Denner,
2nd Division Commanding
II Corps
ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:01 pm 
I can tell you I once played a user made Fredricksburg scenario on Corinth 1.01 and it came out about like the real battle....The Yanks beat themselves to death.....I agree that Corinth wasn't the best engine for it, but it still worked.....As for maps, I just finished Baltimore and I am now working on Savanah.......Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp