American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Steady Boys!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:45 am 

<font size="4"><b>Steady Boys!</b></font id="size4">

The West shall be won by our brave men!! [:p]

I was watching Ken Burn's Civil War Series again last night at the Appomattox part and liked the recount of John B. Gordon saying he saw a young boy running past the line at top speed, an officer asked, "why you runnin?", the boy said "I'm runnin' cause I can't fly".

The quips and tidbits of the war are so amazing when you try to examine them. The realism of it all must have been horrid. My other favorite is a Confederate writing back to his wife to "inform you I have seen the monkey show at last and I don't wanna see it no more..."

The music is well, but I love the scenes where he flies over the trees or landscape or mountains, especially with the sun in it. If you look closely you can tell it was made on film and not digital, as digital was not available in 1989, but the way the film looks in those shots is different than today. Today’s looses a certain luster….

That’s all just random scribble for everyone cause I don’t have much else to say....just tryin' to get back into things.</center>

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Lieutenant General Scott "The Mad Prussian" Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Western Theater, CSA
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retired ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - INWC[/url]</center>

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:30 pm 

LG Ludwig, I haven't seen the series since it aired in 89'. I was a freshman in high school then (Dear God has it been that long???), anyway I remember how powerful those images were and the actors that read from those letters and diaries really made me feel like I was listening to the actual authors. Really made you think.

My regards,

Col. Jerry Butley AOS XIX Corps, 2nd Div. 2nd Brigade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:17 pm 

Saw the series once, and have to get a copy of it. On the PBS site it's for sale at 99.00 for the DVD, but if you want the book, maps, and the DVD's then it's 159.00 plus shipping.

Respectfully,
Maj. Gen. Gery Bastiani
II Corps, 3rd Div. Tarheel Division
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:18 pm 

Col Buckley,
except for one episode in college history, I too have not seen it since 89, also my freshman year! We are getting old!
Brig Gen Jim P.
AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:55 pm 

I taped it when it initially aired in 89 and proceeded to wear out the tapes during the next 15 years. I got it on DVD for Christmas a couple years ago to replace the beat up VHS.

Hard to believe that it is approaching 20 years since it initially aired. I wonder if PBS will run it again on the 20 year anniversary.

Freshman year in high school? Nixon was President during my freshman year. And you guys thought you were old. LOL.

Lt.General Dale Lastowicka
VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:19 am 

Hell Dale, I voted for Nixon and got a good pay raise from him when I was first in the Navy [:D]. But I'm still only 45 and holding [:p]

Respectfully,
Maj. Gen. Gery Bastiani
II Corps, 3rd Div. Tarheel Division
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:53 am 

Lol....see you never know where the discussion goes, we go from the ACW to Nixon and the Navy!! #1 reason why I love these types of clubs.

My favorite segements are in 1864 about Lee & Grant, the Remedy about Sherman's advance in Georgia and the Picklock's of Biographers, where it is alone a 20-30 minut segment going over the realizations of the war and then also what happened after to many of the key players.

For me the music makes the film and at the right points too.

"For he will smile, and give you, with unflinching courtesy, prayers, trappings, letters, uniforms and orders, photographs, kindness, valor and advice, and do it with such grace and gentleness, that you will know you have the whole of him pinned down, mapped out, easy to understand-- And so you have.

All things except the heart……The heart he kept a secret to the end from all the picklocks of biographers."

Shelby Foote

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - INWC[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:49 am 

Oh and not to grave dig...but I thought of another favorite line from Chamberlain when he went to the 50th Gettysburg reunion calling it:

"A Transcendental Experience"

"A Radiant Fellowship of the Fallen".

Those are some powerful words to describe that battle and what he saw that day....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:13 am 

Thanks for bringing up this series, Scott. The PBS series is what got me interested in the Civil War (I had always preferred 20th century history prior to seeing the PBS special). Now I have a bookcase full of CW books, have made several jaunts to battlefields, and of course "pretend" to be a general moving little icons around on computer screen (quite often ineffectively. LOL)

Lt.General Dale Lastowicka
VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah