American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: game maps?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:52 am 
Gentlmen and ladies, if any.

Many times I have saved and printed my maps of battles going on and used those to strategize my moves, however it always shows my units and any enemy in LOS. The game contains all the maps,

I guess my question would be is there any way I can just get a blank map of the batlefield not showing any units. ths way I can save on computer and draw all over it for my strategy. I have tried to open map but I do not have a map program it tells me that will open the file.

Is there a free program i can download to view and use these maps or is there a way to get a blank map I am not aware about.

Can anyone help on this matter?

respectfully yours

<font color="yellow">Colonel Daniel Sheppard</font id="yellow">
<font color="red">"Iron Horse Division"</font id="red">
<font color="black">I Division, I Corps. CO. </font id="black">
<font color="black">Army of Georgia</font id="black">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:03 am 

Easiest way to do it is through the Scenario Design Program

Open it up, and then click "cancel" when it asks you what scenario to open.

Then, slick the "Design New Scenario" button, and choose the map you want, and any random oob and pdt you want. It will open to the map, and voila, no troops (until you place them)

Major General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:02 pm 

Col Shepherd,

If you're looking for a free screen capture program there are several available on the net. I use an old demo version of PrintKey that is pretty easy to use. Whenever I want to make screen captures I load it up, it's a Terminate & Stay Resident program that sits there till you hit the Print Screen key. At that time it 'captures' whatever is on the screen or if you want you can select just a portion of the screen and then save it as a bmp gif or jpeg file which you can then open with any graphics program and make notes on. When you're done you just right click on the icon for the program in the tray and close it to free up the memory it uses. I use it during training and mp games. If you open a game map in the editor then go to the jump window you can get a screen shot of the whole map for strategic notes.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:04 pm 
There's a 'Unit Off' option under the View pull-down that will turn off the display of all units giving you an uncluttered view of the battlefield.

Robert Roda

AoA I Corps
Cavalry Division Artilery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:49 pm 
Thanks everyone for the help. It really helps alot to be able to make game notes and mark on some maps! Thanks again for everything!

<font color="yellow">Colonel Daniel Sheppard</font id="yellow">
<font color="red">"Iron Horse Division"</font id="red">
<font color="black">I Division, I Corps. CO. </font id="black">
<font color="black">Army of Georgia</font id="black">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:33 am 

General McClellan:
Thank you for the tip but if you dont mind educating me How & Where do I locate the Scenario Design Program. I assume it is from HPS.
Col. Sheppard:
The Talonsoft BG games: you may open the .bmp files that will show the battlefield map without any units (nor do you have to use a graphics program to combine screen shots)

Unfortuneately the ViewOff option still leaves the outline of units, so that if the map is being shared, unit location is known.

I too use maps for both strategic and tactical considerations and planning and hope to eventually digitalize all the HPS maps (shudder- well maybe by the time I'm 200 or so). I have digitalized all the TS BG maps, and as I play through the HPS scenarios digitalize them. But as I am new to the HPS platform, I have only scratched the surface.

Capt. Neal Carney
6/2/IX/AoO