American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re-Crewing artillery??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:00 am 

Ok, of course when I decide it's feasible to re-crew an artillery battery I look for the lowest morale type troops to do it, 'D's or 'E's...

Question is for a campaign, say a regiment re-crews a 6 gun battery, that means that the regiment loses 300(??) men (or is it 150?) and it's strength goes down accordingly.

For the next battle in the campaign, what happens to those 300(?) men?
Are they just considered casualties and a certain % are returned for the next battle?

What happens to the artillery battery? It started as a 'B', lost its crew, got re-crewed and rated an 'F'. In the next battle of the campaign what is it rated? Back to its original 'B'? I don't remember seeing any batteries starting a battle as an 'F'...

Who knows what??

Thanks,

Col Thompson
1/3/VI
AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:47 am 

Those troops are considered lost for the next battle in a campaign.

The battery will return as normal, not an "F"

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:58 am 

and as a follow up question...

If a battery is not re-crewed, it still returns an its previously level for the next battle in the campaign?

Thanks..

Col Thompson
1/3/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:14 am 

If left uncrewed, it will still return as normal for the next battle.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:31 pm 
OK, what about if captured? What about captured, spiked and then abandoned? Questions are for a campaign. Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:21 am 
Since I got no answer to my question, I finally used Campaign Atlanta to test the question....I capted 4 batteries from each side.....I spiked and abandoned one of them, spiked and remained in control of one.....captured and remained in the hex in control of one, and captured and abandoned one.....All batteries were back in full strength with their side....It appears that the only way to deprive an enemy of their guns is to do it be knocking them out with batterey to battery fire....losses seem to carry over when the is done....Am I wrong about anything? Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:18 am 

Hi, Hank,

Can't answer your question, but thanks for the info. Historically, a lot of Reb guns started their career as Yank guns, but I don't think they are able to reflect that in the game engine yet.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:06 am 
I knew they did not switch sides.....I knew they had to come back in some form....I thought they might come back as 1 gun batteries only....nope.....full strength.....In my opinion, this needs to be changed.....Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:44 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />Since I got no answer to my question, I finally used Campaign Atlanta to test the question....I capted 4 batteries from each side.....I spiked and abandoned one of them, spiked and remained in control of one.....captured and remained in the hex in control of one, and captured and abandoned one.....All batteries were back in full strength with their side....It appears that the only way to deprive an enemy of their guns is to do it be knocking them out with batterey to battery fire....losses seem to carry over when the is done....Am I wrong about anything? Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If captured guns are returned to the losing side in the campaign that should be considered a bug and fixed. If true, I think the optional gun rules will have to be turned off for campaigns.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:26 pm 
Replacement guns for losses?

I believe that the Union could replace any and all losses, except maybe trained crews. That is perhaps why we see so many D quality yank artillery sections in Gettysburg.

I remember reading that there were more than 200 unused rebel cannons captured at Vicksburg in the artillery depot when Pemberton surrendered. That makes it apparent that sizable losses could be replaced, as long as the manpower was available.

It becomes moot for me, even in campaign games. No big deal.

If it is a big issue for someone, negotiate it up front and remove cannons at the edge or move and hold them in an inactive corner. It does not concern me. I am inclined to treat it as "not an issue."[:)]

BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Bde, 3rd Div, III Corps, AoG, CSA

When asked "Is it worth risking my life to defend my property?", I ask "Is it worth risking your life to take away my property?" ---- "One cannot have a right to life without the right to defend it with deadly force." - Bruce Montague.
You don't have to go through life snarling, but it's knowing that you're willing to fight that keeps the other dogs out of your dish. -- anonymous
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." - Frederich Douglass