American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sour grapes
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:21 pm 

O.k. I know this will sound like sour grapes, but I'm just about ready to quit the club! I'm playing a new, quite inexperienced Reb Officer, and this Gentleman has just wrecked another Union Army on the old BG Antietam scenario...'Bloodiest morning'.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind being well beaten. It's just that I can't stomach having to turn up to fight with Armies that simply won't stand still. I know the balance of the games is meant to reflect historical accuracy, but surely we must all agree that the odds are unfairly stacked in favour of the Rebel Infantry? I mean, within in the game environment Reb Infantry just doesn't disrupt or rout as easily as Union Infantry does, and if it does you can guarantee it will rally or re-order more quickly?

I'm not saying that Union Infantry should be stronger. Just that Reb Infantry are too strong, FAR TOO strong? Historically, The Confederacy achieved it's greatest victories in defensive fights. In game though the system for determining combat results etc has resulted in an unfair advantage to the Reb player...hasn't it?

I'm actually 'scared' of Reb Infantry when playing, even if I outnumber them. It's just all too much for me, I need a desk command in Washington. I'm gonna get my ADC to draught a letter to my commanding Officer...[:(]

Capt. Jim Wilkes.
2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, XX Corps.
AoC. U.S.A.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:29 pm 

Do you only play the BG series? If so, get an HPS title and try it out, before jumping out that window.[;)][:p]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:32 pm 

Don't despair. Those "overrated" Rebel infantry can be beaten. Just takes some experience, very good use of command & control, and perseverance. It can be done though, just look at the records for that scenario and you can see Union victories.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
West Point Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:24 pm 
You're afraid of Rebel infantry? Let's play! Let's play!!

In all seriousness, Jim, it comes and goes. I've been in many battles where I couldn't believe how well the Union infantry stood.

Gen. J. Cuneo, CSA
Army of Alabama, Cmdg

Image Image

"I have seen the faces of men, who had dared death so often, it lost its' terror." -J.S. Mosby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:09 pm 

Another factor that might have an effect is whether you are using the quality fire and quality melee modifiers. The higher rated troops already rally better. With the above 2 options being used they also fire and/or melee better. Also, are you playing with rout limiting on or off?

Lt.General Dale Lastowicka
VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:49 pm 

I am assuming that you are taking an aggressive offensive posture. I have learned from many battles...and some of my opponents will say that I have NOT learned [:)] that the Union commander must be patient and think defense for most BG games. It can be hard when one has an "attacking" nature, but you have to keep it in check and wait for opportunities to counter-strike. Play defense sir and look for chances to counter...it will serve you well.

General Jeff Bangma
Commander, Eastern Theater
Union Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:39 pm 

Don't quit Jim, we've all been there. But believe me, once you have learned to adapt your tactics and play to your strengths then you will come to enjoy commanding Union forces. There is a learning curve but it is worth it. Soften up the enemy with artillery, mass your forces to achieve local superiority, stretch the enemy line or pull him out of position through manoeuvre (seize the initiative!), use reserves cleverly, pay close attention to comand control, be patient and learn to spot when the attack might succeed and when not. Don't give the rebs the battle they want. Sometimes you win by holding back and being content with gaining a slight advantage in a few well chosen areas rather than in a grand bold assault, gradually wearing the enemy out and gaining points steadily - and then things start to swing your way... Some battles are harder than others and you have to take your share of losses. I find that I learn most from the battles I have lost. Have you tried the HPS games? They feel very different and play very differently. I much prefer them.

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/Western_Theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:08 am 

Your not alone Digglyda. I started playing in november and feel the same way. I've made my share of rookie mistakes, but have also tryed the things mentioned and it seems like the union troops can't achieve the scenario points/objectives. I've really enjoyed the rebs i've played against, but the game itself has been a tough nut to crack.

Lt. Seger
4/3/VIII, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:12 am 

Jim..Capt..if you play the Talonsoft BG games and HAVE NOT availed yourself of the various "papers" at the War College, please check them out. I know where you are coming from and have been there...and in addition to General Barlow's advice, I would say that your game, whatever it is, will improve if you read what is available at the War College. Sometimes it pays to re-read the manual as well, from cover to cover.

Also you might try the HPS games. A horse of another color..and one learns, too, that some battles DO favor one side or another. The first day at Gettysburg, for example, can always be tough for the Yanks.

BTW...I just learned two lessons the hard way one at Shiloh and was beaten so miserably I wished I could erase the record, and some time ago, again at 1st Bull Run.

Try not to be discouraged and re-read General Barlow's post.

Good luck and hang in there.

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AT, CTH, GB, OZK, SH, VK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:58 pm 
The best remedy for fear of Reb infantry is Yank artillery. I have played the game you are talking about several times as the Yank and achieved Major Victories. The key is: get your artillery into good positions and force the Rebs to either attack or fall back through constant artillery fire. While the Rebs have the edge when it comes to infantry, that is compensated by the fire power and quantity of Yank artillery. Think "Grant and Sherman" not "McClellan and Burnside."

BG Brett Kolcun
3/Cav/XX/AOC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 pm 

It has been a long time since I played the older BG game but here are a few pointer that may work:

First don't repeat McClellan's strategy. The releases try to force you into it but resist. It's the dark side.

Nicodemus Hill on the far left should be the target of Hooker. It is the weak point in the Rebel line. Try to seize it quickly turning it from the Potomac side. It's defended by a lot of fixed cavalry and artillery. Lots of Victory Points here and great platform for artillery to enfillate the rest of the Rebel line.

Next target is the high ground between the North and East woods. Take it with Ricketts Corps along with the East Wood. This terrain dominates the Cornfield and West Woods. Don't attack the West Wood until you bring up more men. Mainly Mansfield, Franklin and Sumner. Then strike the Confederate left with four Corps.

Meanwhile Burnside should be working on bring artillery fire onto the Bridge and fords. As soon as you get some troops released shift the to the fords on the far left. Don't force a crossing of Burnside's Bridge until the fords are crossed.

That's all the hints I give Yankees. [:D]

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:37 pm 

Thanks Jeff, Dale, Mark, Andy, and Tom for the valuable intel [:D][:D]Also you may what to try the HPS series games as General Sands has mentioned. They are different from the TS games, so give them a try before quiting the club.

Respectfully,
Maj. Gen. Gery Bastiani
II Corps, 3rd Div. Tarheel Division
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:07 am 

Captain Wilkes, SIR! <salute>

The best advice that I can offer is to go ahead and jump.

Lt. Colonel Larry Kocher
4th Bn(Sharpshooter)
1st Division
I Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:09 am 

Capt. Wilkes, Sir <salute>

I was struggling like you in several of the games I was playing. Chickamauga was my first nightmare.[xx(] My army went in to full rout.[:I] Ounce I talk to several other officers and found that i was not the only one that took that kind of beating it was some help. Plus I talked to the reb I was playing if he saw any mistakes after the game and gave some good insight. An after action review is a real eye opener for both sides. One action could have changed the whole outcome. I also agree time is a great teacher.[:D]

Capt. Charles Babb
6th Brigade,3rd Division
XXIII Corps
Army of the Ohio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:04 pm 

That's a good point - having an after-action report with your opponent can be a real eye-opener. I know I learned most from having my head handed to me.

Playing with hard-ZOCs is totally different, as well. In the land of the ZOC-kill, you can lose a large proportion of your army fairly quickly, and then it can snowball. So just to echo what others have said - try the HPS engine (and play with weak ZOCs!). [:D]

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "The Bishop's Men"
I Corps
Army of Alabama