American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Which Napoleon era game?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:16 am 

I have a question for those of you who play both the HPS American Civil War games and the HPS Napoleonic games. I'm looking to expand my horizons. If I were to buy one HPS Nappy game which one would you recommend and why are you recommending that particular one? Is there one that's recognized in the Nappy club as the better game?

Thx

Maj Gen Boyd Denner,
2nd Division Commanding
II Corps
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:57 am 

Boyd,

Good question. Eckmuhl and Waterloo seem to be the most popular. Eckmuhl was the original and thus has been played the most. Kind of like our Corinth, it also has mods that work with its version 1.01. Waterloo incorporates some weather features and is probably the most well known from a historical standpoint. Jena has added some new twists, with its 10 minute turns. NRC and Wagram, although both are good games, are probably the bottom two (but most of my very limited success is at Wagram so I personally like it. LOL). If you go to the NWC Rhine Tavern page you can probably find some more discussion on these games.

Lt.General Dale Lastowicka
VIII Corps
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:06 am 
I just joined the NWC myself.

A review of the NWC forum http://www.wargame.ch/board/nwc/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=24 confirms what Dale said: Waterloo and Eckmuhl seem the most common, with Jena a close third.

I bought Waterloo and NRC, as those seemed the most interesting to me. I've had no trouble finding games for either.

(For what it's worth, Waterloo is the only one (so far!) to have the British army.)

Robert Roda

AoA I Corps
Cavalry Division Artilery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:08 am 

I just joined the NWC and only own Eckmuhl and that is what I'm training on. Will probably buy Waterloo next.

Lt.Drex Ringbloom,
1st Brigade,3rd Division
Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:49 pm 

I would say Waterloo first (but I am British so I would say that[:D]), with Eckmuhl and Jena a very close second. They are all superb games and all have a different feel, especially if are on the Allied side, as you get to command a variety of different armies and nationalities.

Boyd, I know you like the big MP games with orders and communication rules. You'll love the big single map campaigns on HUGE maps - they are excellent for this type of game. I hope you enjoy the Napoleonic games as much as I do...

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acw/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/aoc/Western_Theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:39 am 

Eckmuhl or Jena. Eckmuhl has interesting and some smaller battles to keep campaigns moving - not that there aren't large ones - and Jena has huge scenarios but I think is an improvement on the engine (shorter turns and cav squadrons).

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "The Bishop's Men"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:49 am 

Honestly, I think it's mostly a matter of what you are interested in. Any of the games you can find opponants.

If you like smaller battles, then Eckmuhl is a good choice. NRC has some interesting small stuff, but also some massive battles. Waterloo is kind of medium sized, while Wagram is built around Aspern-Essling and Wagram itself of course.

As the others said, Jena does a few different things as well.

Really, to my mind, it's which battle most grabs you, and what army are you most interested in? Of course, you'll always have the frogs, but there are serious differences between the Austrians, Prussians, British and Russians through the games.

FM Gary McClellan
Generalissmus Austrian Army
CiC Allied Coalition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:21 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Robert Roda</i>

(For what it's worth, Waterloo is the only one (so far!) to have the British army.)

Robert Roda

AoA I Corps
Cavalry Division Artilery
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, apart from Waterloo, unless there is a future campaign based on the Iberian peninsula I don't envisage much scope for the British to flex their muscles. There is however the possibility of a hypothetical French landing on British soil which could be included in a new game in the not too distant future but if that is the case then I will leave that for the proper person[s] to disclose.

Colonel John Sheffield,
1st Brigade <b><font color="red">[Fighting First]</font id="red"></b>
2nd Division,
XXIII Corps
<font color="orange">Army of the Ohio.</font id="orange">
<font color="red">U.</font id="red"><font color="white">S.</font id="white"><font color="blue">A.</font id="blue">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:32 am 

Hi ... I would say Waterloo and Eckmuhl.

Stay away from Napoleon in Russia. The Russian units are overmodeled and unhistorical, especially the Cossack and militia units. I've seen Cossacks stand up to flank charges by Guard cavalry units of equal strength and win, more than once. From everything I've read they would not even have stuck around to face regular formed units, and would scatter to the wind if hit by a formal charge.

Russian infantry also rarely rout even when their leaders are killed and when they suffer major losses.

Regards, CJ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:01 am 

Eckmuhl and Waterloo are as stated normally the most owned. Waterloo as many distinct features, such as a slew of company level games and has a very good campaign map. Eckmuhl shows probably the best match of offensive French at its best and defensive Austrian at its best. Jena is sometimes to large for me in terms of scenarios. To be honest I have not played it much, but it does have a lot of smaller sub scenarios I guess.

Be sure to check out the [url="http://www.battleground-club.de/"]International Napoleonics Wargaming Club (INWC)[/url] which is a great club, setup a bit differently than the NWC, but both go hand in hand real well. Anyone is welcome to be honest.

But I would reccommend Eckmuhl and Waterloo. An advantage of Wagram though is the joint Campaign option w/Eckmuhl and Wagram has a lot of small secanrios including actions in Italy at the time as well.

General der Infanterie Scott Prinz "Vorwärts" Ludwig von Allenstein-Dennewitz
Generalquartiermeister der Preußischen Armee
Prussian Army Webmaster
Club Public Relations Officer
NWC

Grandiose Duc de Empire General de Division Scott Ludwig
Commandant de La Grande Armées de Français Impériale
French Armée and Club Webmaster
INWC

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Lieutenant General Scott "The Mad Prussian" Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Western Theater, CSA
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retired ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - INWC[/url]</center>