American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:41 pm 

I ordered mine this morning...should be here in a few days. This is going to be great.

Willie Tisdale
"The Gray Fox"
General
Commandant - VMI - CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:04 pm 

My plug for the clubs included with the Campaign Notes

<b>Playing the game</b>
<i>Though this game comes with a two player hot seat, LAN play, and an artificial intelligence, with the ability to play as either side in solitaire mode, I have found that the most enjoyable way to experience a challenging game is to play by email, known simply as PBEM. This form of play is both fun and simple. PBEM allows for many advantages. First, play as your schedule permits. No need to rush. If you're playing a complicated scenario where much time and thought is needed, but dinner, work, or family is about to require your attention, just save and continue at a later time. Also, encryption allows both players to play knowing that their forces cannot be spied upon by "accident." It's even possible to play with more than 2 players.
Worried about finding opponents? No need to be concerned. There are many sites that can be visited that will gladly provide players willing to cross swords with you. Two of my favorites are the ACWGC (American Civil War Game Club) and the Gamesquad sites.
www.acwgc.org
or
www.wargame.ch/wc/acw/
or
www.gamesquad.com
Just copy and paste the above sites to your URL address line, and your PBEM adventure will just be moments away.
Using this method of play will provide you with many hours of enjoyment. Game with players all around the world. One of my playtesters (Aleksander Krolikowski), whom I've found to be an excellent source for historical accuracy, lives in Poland and has never visited an American Civil War battlefield. So if you live in Virginia or Maryland, and know these battles like the back of your hand, don't be surprised when someone halfway around the world smacks you down with impunity.
In addition, these sites have very active forums that provide playing tips, and suggestions for future titles. And if you're unhappy with some of the graphics and scenarios provided with the original release, not to worry, these sites and others will further enhance your experience with alternatives.
So if you want my advice, try PBEM. You won't be disappointed.</i>

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:09 pm 

The bold section in #3 is what is meant by extreme FOW

<center><b>New Features for Campaign Antietam</b></center>
<i>1) Optional Melee Resolution: Tired of blitzkrieg type tactics? This feature will not allow melee until the completion of movement and fire. So dislodging a unit in order to melee another unit, will no longer be possible. This feature creates (in my opinion) greater historical accuracy. Players will need to better coordinate their battles. This feature will also reduce the higher than historical loses to a more acceptable level.
2) Artillery Ammo by Cannon: If this option is chosen, each cannon tube firing will expend one ammo point. The program will recalculate the number of ammo points from the original pool supplied by the designer.
3) Random hex and time for incoming reinforcements: This new feature will allow each game with oncoming reinforcements to be unique each time it's played. In short, reinforcements will have three characteristics. First, percent for arrival times. Second, arrival hex. Third, percent for each arrival hex. When all three of these characteristics are used, <b>neither player will now where or when new troops will arrive.</b> Imagine, each game being unique. No more need for endless variants.</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Boyd</i>
<br />I"d like to hear more about the "extreme Fog of War feature" if anybody knows.

Regards,

Maj Gen Boyd Denner,
2nd Division Commanding
II Corps
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:37 pm 

<font color="blue">3) Random hex and time for incoming reinforcements: This new feature will allow each game with oncoming reinforcements to be unique each time it's played. In short, reinforcements will have three characteristics. First, percent for arrival times. Second, arrival hex. Third, percent for each arrival hex. When all three of these characteristics are used, neither player will now where or when new troops will arrive. Imagine, each game being unique. No more need for endless variants.</font id="blue">

Will there still be a penalty for units being too close to the arrival hex when units do arrive?

Col Thompson
1/3/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:10 am 

Can you believe it I have my copy!!!!!!!1

General
Frank (Old Banshee) Mullins,
XVI Corps,
Army of the Tennessee.
Commanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:30 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />The bold section in #3 is what is meant by extreme FOW

<center><b>New Features for Campaign Antietam</b></center>
<i>1) Optional Melee Resolution: Tired of blitzkrieg type tactics? This feature will not allow melee until the completion of movement and fire. So dislodging a unit in order to melee another unit, will no longer be possible. This feature creates (in my opinion) greater historical accuracy. Players will need to better coordinate their battles. This feature will also reduce the higher than historical loses to a more acceptable level.
2) Artillery Ammo by Cannon: If this option is chosen, each cannon tube firing will expend one ammo point. The program will recalculate the number of ammo points from the original pool supplied by the designer.
3) Random hex and time for incoming reinforcements: This new feature will allow each game with oncoming reinforcements to be unique each time it's played. In short, reinforcements will have three characteristics. First, percent for arrival times. Second, arrival hex. Third, percent for each arrival hex. When all three of these characteristics are used, <b>neither player will now where or when new troops will arrive.</b> Imagine, each game being unique. No more need for endless variants.</i>

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Hope these will be coming as updates to older games. Especially #1 and #2.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:20 am 
Rich,
Are you the designer?
And when you mention maps from Gettysburg, does this mean that you took some Gettysburg maps and expanded them? For instance Pipe Creek and the actual Gettysburg map border each otherand could be combined....I could see you using the Pipe Creek map and adding Frederic and South Mountain to it.....Is this what was meant? I'd love to see one large map from the Gettysburg map south as far as it can go.....Kind of like your Atlanta Giant map, which I feel is the biggest accomplishment of the entire series in and of itself....Regards, Hank

PS. I am waiting on my copy, as well as the Campaign Alamo/Tx revolution eeeeerrrr Mexican war.....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:29 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hope these will be coming as updates to older games. Especially #1 and #2.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

HPS does usually update the older titles in a series, over time, when improvements are made in the newer titles.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:09 am 
Rich,
Are you the designer?
And when you mention maps from Gettysburg, does this mean that you took some Gettysburg maps and expanded them? For instance Pipe Creek and the actual Gettysburg map border each otherand could be combined....I could see you using the Pipe Creek map and adding Frederic and South Mountain to it.....Is this what was meant? I'd love to see one large map from the Gettysburg map south as far as it can go.....Kind of like your Atlanta Giant map, which I feel is the biggest accomplishment of the entire series in and of itself....Regards, Hank

PS. I am waiting on my copy, as well as the Campaign Alamo/Tx revolution eeeeerrrr Mexican war.....

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:55 am 

Yes, I did the design work

The maps are mostly Doug's, except where they are expanded. I also did the smaller maps for Cedar Mountain and Chantilley, plus a little general touch up.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jefferson H. Davis</i>
<br />Rich,
Are you the designer?

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Texas Division
Smith's Corp

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:38 am 

The designers notes have been posted on my Blog:

http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/blog.php?u=4568

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:02 pm 
Rich,

Thanks for the link to your blog. Can you comment on the below please:

"In Campaign Antietam, I have created several OOBs and variants. Artillery and cavalry have been designed in such a way that each unit can be deployed as a single unit, or subdivided. For artillery, two gun sections are possible. For cavalry, squads are available for deployment. So instead of having one 500 man unit, five 100 man units will be available."

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
Interim CSA CoA
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:08 pm 

Hi,

I'm an old man and my memory isn't what it used to be, but does anyone know if the 5 game deal is still offered? Couldn't find anything at HPS.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:23 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
<br />Hi,

I'm an old man and my memory isn't what it used to be, but does anyone know if the 5 game deal is still offered? Couldn't find anything at HPS.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

I sent you an email.

ACWGC Cabinet Member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:26 pm 

Antietam (plus Bull Run) scenarios updated in the DOR, so new games may be processed whenever you are ready.

ACWGC Cabinet Member
</b></font id="gold">

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next