American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:05 am 
I own it and just started my first PBEM. My opponent and me will be learning by doing [:)]

MG Thomas Borling

1/I/AotP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:19 am 

Me also...learning by doing..duhh...do check into the AGEOD forum and the AGEOD Wikipedi for a lot of helpful information...beyond the manual. If you really like managing a lot of detail, you will likely love it.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by laubster22</i>
<br />Now that these games are officially sanctioned for the Club, looking to see how many folks own them, as we develop the ability to train and incorporate the game into our existing structure.

Please post here if you own the game! Thanks!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AT, CTH, GB, OZK, SH, VK

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:13 am 

General Ciampa
Great write up!! You really gave enough description that one can make a educated decesion as to buy or not. Thank you!![:D]

Colonel Tony Best
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:47 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">(...) learned it required 2 GIG of ram (...)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It runs fine for me with 1 GB. Actually it worked with 512 MB, before I decided to upgrade. But yes, it takes a while to load. Just get a beer while it's doing that ...

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:12 am 

Dierk...you must have a helluva lot faster computer than I do...my 2.54 Gig old machine is still pretty quick BUT when I got the game I had only 512MB and it took almost 15 minutes to actually load all the graphics and come up to the the main menu AND THEN it took about 2 to 3 minutes to go from one menu choice to another and then again...ran torpidly slow between functions once in the game...they recommend a minimum of 1 GB and recommend more....so you must have something different than I in the way of either a video card or chip speed.

Also for people looking to buy...note that NWS purposely doesn't advertise or list the computer requirements...platform, speed and ram...why? Straight from a conversation with them on the phone...because they expect that people will write them or call them and ask that question before they buy...I didn't...and why do that have that policy?...because they say that all computers have different performance and they would be :damned if they did and damned if they don't" list the requirement. That would be OK if it didn't require 2 GIG to really run well without turning off any ram hungry features...HOWEVER who but the most fanatic 3D first-person shooter fanatic would even dream that some games require 2 GIG for optimum performance?...again...I didn't...I was stupid. I'll not make that mistake with ANY game again...oh..they also couldn't guarantee that it will run on VISTA...I asked them.

You know..I am not trying to condemn the game...it is obviously popular and there are people who clearly love it...I am sure I will learn to love it. However, that being said, AND GIVEN that the many varied uses of colors and combinations of color, and varied sized fonts and masks of colors for this and that and elaborate 3D terrain images, and various font sizes and typefaces...to me it almost amounts to so much chrome...what comes to mind is "Very pretty but does it work well." (Remember the Dirty Dozen...Very pretty General, but can they fight!") Myself, would rather have a simpler, easy to run game without all the intense graphic demands. There are many many beautiful 3D games out there that need no where close to even 1 GIG of ram to run optimally well. Frankly I think the Digit Artist on the project won out over the math programmers.

I don't care what anyone says...you have to be prepared to "work" to play this game...and it may well be worth it...at least to play it well and not just drag troops from one area to another...so just be prepared to spend a lot of time first getting used to the interface and the many different ways to access the same information...but not even be able to find a town without stumbling upon it...and then to learn how to really play the game well enough to win against someone who has learned all those things.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">(...) learned it required 2 GIG of ram (...)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It runs fine for me with 1 GB. Actually it worked with 512 MB, before I decided to upgrade. But yes, it takes a while to load. Just get a beer while it's doing that ...

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:12 pm 

Most companies do have the requirements on their website for their games. Distributors MIGHT not list them at all.

From AGEODS site for their game requirements:
PLATFORM

Minimum
Win 2000/XP
DirectX 9.0c
Pentium III 1200 MHz, 1024 MB RAM
800 MB of free hard disk space available
64MB graphic card

Recommended
Win 2000/XP
DirectX 9.0c
Pentium IV 1800 MHz, 1024 MB RAM
1 GB of free hard disk space available
128MB graphic card

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:51 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tciampa</i>
<br />Dierk...you must have a helluva lot faster computer than I do...my 2.54 Gig old machine is still pretty quick BUT when I got the game I had only 512MB and it took almost 15 minutes to actually load all the graphics and come up to the the main menu AND THEN it took about 2 to 3 minutes to go from one menu choice to another and then again...ran torpidly slow between functions once in the game...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Actually it's a more than five years old Pentium IV, 2.4 GHz. The graphics card is nothing special either (a GeForce 4 with 64 MB RAM). But I never had these problems, not that I recall. Loading is a couple of minutes (I'll time it next time I load), but afterwards there are no delays or any sluggishness at all.

Have you tried updating your DirectX drivers? Video card drivers?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">you have to be prepared to "work" to play this game<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No denying that. But remember how steep the learning curve for the John Tiller games is when you first play them. I don't even mention Nappy that really teaches you combined arms, but even the classic old ZOC kill with the ACW BG games was enough to really drive me away after I had lost 10 games or so. What I like about the Ageod games is that you invest your learning time into learning to manage a war, rather than into learning the last detailed intricacies of beating the game engine. In a tactical level BG game, the one who better understands and sets up the ZOC kill wins nearly every time. In the operational level Ageod games it's a lot more common sense and strategic thinking.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:14 am 

NOW THAT IS a coincidence...my machine is also over five years old, a P4 2.54 GHZ that HAD 512MB, and has an ATI 128mb video card. And I know my Direct X is up to date as a result of new games installations of the latest version...so it is a mystery to me how you could run it on 512mb when mine would finally load but was so slow between screens that it was virtually impractical to play the game. I think it only works well now because of the 2GIG of ram.

As to listinigs of the requirements of the game Re: Ernie...at the time I bought the game...though I didn't check the requirements until after orderinig it...the ONLY place I found the requirements were when I checked Matrix's catalog. I found nothing at NWS or the AGEOD site...I may well have overlooked them at AGEOD or they added them later.

Actually it's a more than five years old Pentium IV, 2.4 GHz. The graphics card is nothing special either (a GeForce 4 with 64 MB RAM). But I never had these problems, not that I recall. Loading is a couple of minutes (I'll time it next time I load), but afterwards there are no delays or any sluggishness at all.

Have you tried updating your DirectX drivers? Video card drivers?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">you have to be prepared to "work" to play this game<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No denying that. But remember how steep the learning curve for the John Tiller games is when you first play them. I don't even mention Nappy that really teaches you combined arms, but even the classic old ZOC kill with the ACW BG games was enough to really drive me away after I had lost 10 games or so. What I like about the Ageod games is that you invest your learning time into learning to manage a war, rather than into learning the last detailed intricacies of beating the game engine. In a tactical level BG game, the one who better understands and sets up the ZOC kill wins nearly every time. In the operational level Ageod games it's a lot more common sense and strategic thinking.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

[/quote]

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer
1st Cav Division
XIV Corps, AoC