American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:43 am 

One thing I would like to see is the Panzer General-type movement where maximum movement ranges are highlighted and you click on a unit and on the destination hex. Then you can disable the column routine currently being used. I have found it to be almost as much trouble as it is worth. Too many times it picks up units I don't want moved and puts them places I don't want them to be.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:48 am 

I will give my 2 cents for what it's worth;

1. Change road rate of supply wagons to 1 and keep at 10 pts
2. Resupply by infantry movement pts ie; 1 pt on road, 4 pts through woods, +1pts for up slope etc.
3. Have some sort of BCE similar to the old GBACW games
4. Have engineers units that have pontoons with them
5. Capability of units to lose stragglers on long marches and a chance to recover them and a minimal recovery of loses from combat.

BG Rick Trembley
3/1/IX AoO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:24 pm 

As for number 0ne, that depends on the game. My 5 games have what you ask.

BCE?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rtrembley</i>
<br />I will give my 2 cents for what it's worth;

1. Change road rate of supply wagons to 1 and keep at 10 pts
2. Resupply by infantry movement pts ie; 1 pt on road, 4 pts through woods, +1pts for up slope etc.
3. Have some sort of BCE similar to the old GBACW games
4. Have engineers units that have pontoons with them
5. Capability of units to lose stragglers on long marches and a chance to recover them and a minimal recovery of loses from combat.

BG Rick Trembley
3/1/IX AoO
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:42 pm 

BCE is Brigade Combat Effectiveness, a rule in Richard Berg's ACW regimental games. Basically, when a regiment takes a certain percentage of losses, it loses BCE, meaning it has restrictions on offensive action (going from bad memory - can't initiate melee, has lowered morale and can't enter a ZOC). Likewise, when a certain number of regiments lose BCE, the brigade loses BCE. Each brigade has its own level of BCE so you can model good/bad troops. And I think losing the brigade commander counts as a hit towards losing BCE on top of losses. It's a concept I love, but how easy it would be to program I've no idea.

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "The Bishop's Men"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:15 am 

[quote]<i>Originally posted by Sean Turner</i>
<br />BCE is Brigade Combat Effectiveness, a rule in Richard Berg's ACW regimental games. Basically, when a regiment takes a certain percentage of losses, it loses BCE, meaning it has restrictions on offensive action (going from bad memory - can't initiate melee, has lowered morale and can't enter a ZOC). Likewise, when a certain number of regiments lose BCE, the brigade loses BCE. Each brigade has its own level of BCE so you can model good/bad troops. And I think losing the brigade commander counts as a hit towards losing BCE on top of losses. It's a concept I love, but how easy it would be to program I've no idea.

Maj Gen Sean Turner
I Corps
Army of Alabama

i vote for this also!![:D]

Colonel Tony Best
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:17 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sean Turner</i>
<br />BCE is Brigade Combat Effectiveness, a rule in Richard Berg's ACW regimental games. Basically, when a regiment takes a certain percentage of losses, it loses BCE, meaning it has restrictions on offensive action (going from bad memory - can't initiate melee, has lowered morale and can't enter a ZOC). Likewise, when a certain number of regiments lose BCE, the brigade loses BCE. Each brigade has its own level of BCE so you can model good/bad troops. And I think losing the brigade commander counts as a hit towards losing BCE on top of losses. It's a concept I love, but how easy it would be to program I've no idea.

Maj Gen Sean Turner
I Corps
Army of Alabama

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Our current fatigue system already more or less does the same thing but on a regimental basis and in a much simpler manner that is already programmed. High fatigue units suffer ranged fire and melee penalties - indeed with very high fatigue winning most melees that aren't walkovers are almost impossible. The only addition could possibly be to limit movement of high fatigue units.

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
Interim CSA CoA
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:14 am 

Here is another; fix it so routing units rout away from known enemy
units and toward friendly units. I think the way it is now, units
rout away from the direction of fire. Sometimes enfilade fire will cause units to rout toward the enemy.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:41 am 

Any chance of a rotate map ability? Sometimes the map layout can look a bit awkward, especially as I only play in 3D. Also I really do like to be able to play with my units entering the map along it bottom edge (Just a personal preference)
We used to have rotate maap in Eastern front which uses very similar map graphics?

Capt. Jim Wilkes.
2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, XX Corps.
AoC. U.S.A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:15 pm 
Rich,
I suspect what was meant by "Capability of units to lose stragglers on long marches and a chance to recover them and a minimal recovery of loses from combat", was to implement a system simular to CWG2....Every unit had 3 munbers of men...1: the number they started the battle with...2: The number of men that are healthy....3: The number of men on the firing line.

If you marched your men too hard, men would straggle and you'd lose men, when you rested, those men would begin to rejoin the unit....If a unit started a battle with 800 men and fought hard, say they took 200 casualties....Likely they would only have between 100 and 200 men on the firing line...Pull them back and rest them (for a good while)and they'd likely pick most of them back up to get somewhere back close to the 600 healthy men they had left....Basicly evertime you used the unit, some folks would run, when you rested them some would come back....This change alone would likely reuce the number of casualties in these battles to a far more realistic level, as only those present on the line shoot.....Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Corp Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:43 pm 

Here is another thing that drives me crazy. I moved adjacent to some
artillery in a Resaca meeting engagement, and one of my opponent's
batteries fired at a target several hexes away. That is ridiculous!
The same thing happened to me in a Gettysburg game, possibly the
last time I play Gettysburg with auto defensive fire. (I think the
Reb ammo levels are unrealistic for auto defensive fire as well.)

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:29 am 

I'd really like to see something like the CWG2 reduced combat efficiency system, especially for lengthy scenarios.

1) - 50% stacking in woods and other difficult terrain would be very useful

2) - For the spiking guns issue, it's best to "encourage" players <i>not</i> to spike them, so they should be more valuable to both players unspiked.

Brig. Gen. Rich White
3rd Brig. III Corps
Phantom Cav. Div.
ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:22 am 

There are some things I'd like to see:

<b>* Spiking:</b> Enemy gets 50% if he holds the guns at scenario end if spiked or 100% if captured intact or the owning player should lose 100% of VP's if he loses the guns intact and 50% if spiked.
(In essence, the outcome is the same)

<b>* Shooting over own troops:</b> An optional rule that blocks shooting over own troops with inf and art unless some 3 levels above. Would make artillery tactics very different.. and more historical accurate.

<b>* Stacking:</b> Possibility to use "extended lines" so as to create "battalions" of units 500+, thus enabling stacking with batteriers easier when you have large regiments.

<b>* Command range button:</b> no more comments needed..[;)]

<b>* Variable visibilty during scenario:</b> Something like the visibility settings in the naval campaigns - that visibility can in- or decrease simulation either the sun rising or battlefield smoke reducing visibility between morning and evening.

* Alternate release of fixed units: Today, it's visibility that can force the unfixing of single units. Should at least be by command (brigade) and maybe also as an option, by loss percentage of the initial force. (Thus the commander realizes that it's time to do something about a bad situation.. ) Maybe as a modifier to the percentage given in the scenario?

Gen Lars W
1/XIV
Army of the Cumberland
USA
West Point Instructor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:02 am 

<i>* Variable visibilty during scenario: Something like the visibility settings in the naval campaigns - that visibility can in- or decrease simulation either the sun rising or battlefield smoke reducing visibility between morning and evening.</i>

This is mostly reflected by the weather feature

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:27 am 

Rich here are my suggestions. Thanks for asking.

a. In online play there is a feature under "Multi-player diaglog" that allows command assignments. I would like to see this feature copied over to PBEM games for multi-player games.

b. A "pause" button for those long replays of your opponents moves. Sure would help my marriage as I wouldn't have to keep telling the wife to "<i>hold on, hold on"..."be right there</i>" :)

c. A bonus modifier for units behind entrenchments or breastworks. i.e. Units with good protection aim better due to "loop holes" and "head logs" http://civilwarfortifications.com/dicti ... h-004.html

d. Also agree that artillery units need to be better represented with either FA determining FP effectiveness and get rid of "crew killed" or assign men to each gun allowing artillery to take casualties like infantry.

Thx

Maj Gen Boyd Denner,
2nd Division Commanding
II Corps
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:52 am 

Gentlemen,

Just my thoughts as I read some of the sugggestions:

1) Crew Kills on one and two gun batteries makes since to me, it is only when you get hits on six to four gun batteries it does not. Perhaps you could kill the crew on two guns only out of six, or make them all one and two gun batteries. If you go to one shot per tube you would reduce the desire to keep the large batteries together any way.

2) Why would you have a penelty to fire out of the woods? 1000 men do not occupy the entire area of the hex (125 yards per side?) that a few trees will make it less effective to fire from. I do not like the density modifier rule you added already, I sure would not use this one either.

3) As a Union Player having all those hugh Regiments 500+ I can never stack them to the 1000 man hex capacity like the Rebs can with their smaller units. I have played modes where the unit sizes were 250 men, that was great, a lot more flexibility. In the larger games I tend to move my units stacked to gether as a collective whole anyway; it just gives me the abliltiy to face in multiply directions, move through other units, extend my line and break down to corner smaller units. All these aspects would be historical tactics.
(Key is the fire power of one 1000 man regiment would still equal the fire power of four 250 man regiments, unlike the old TS engine)

Remember K.I.S.

ImageImage

Lt General Joseph C. Mishurda,
"Killer Angels"
VI Corps, AoS, USA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next