American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Registering Games
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:00 am 

I still think that it is of some importance that we register games accurately so that we can maintain won/lost statistics on them like we did with the BG series. However, since no one else seems to feel that way, then why don't we cut down on the confusion and simplify it by just registering which campaign that we're playing and how many turns that the scenario has? I'm guessing like crazy when I'm trying to determine which scenario that I'm playing in a campaign so of what value is it.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/1/VIII/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
VMI Class of '00

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:32 am 

Lt Gen Simms I believe that if you open up the CPF file in Notepad and refer to the 3rd line after ---PEM Header--- it will give you the title of the current battle being played within that campaign.

Regards,

Colonel John Sheffield,
1st Brigade <b><font color="red">[Fighting First]</font id="red"></b>
2nd Division,
XXIII Corps
<font color="orange">Army of the Ohio.</font id="orange">
<font color="red">U.</font id="red"><font color="white">S.</font id="white"><font color="blue">A.</font id="blue">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:47 am 

That's so. However, I have never quite understood why the campaign engine can't simply tell us which scenario we are playing.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
3/2/VIII AoS
West Point Class of '01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:57 pm 

The third line tells you basically what field that you are fighting on, but it does not always correlate with the names of the scenarios listed in the game or at the Department of Records. That leaves a big question as to which scenario that you should be registering.

For example, I am currently fighting a HPS Antietam campaign that started at Cedar Mountain. The cpf says that it is Cedar Mountain Additional Rebs. The choices at the Department of Records to register a game is Cedar Mountain Historical, Version 1, Version 2, Version 3, Version 4, Version 5, and Version 6. Which one do you register? It would be simple if the third line read Cedar Mountain Version 3, or as Gen Walter pointed out, if the top of the scenario map read Cedar Mountain Version 3.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/1/VIII/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
VMI Class of '00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:19 pm 

After you know the name of the battle, you can use the GAME scenario selection to find the EXACT scenario.

First look for Cedar Mountain in the scenarios that START with CAM.

Then scroll down the list until you find the CEDAR MTN (Additional Rebs),which will be CAM_CEDAR MOUNTAIN C3U1.SCN and you have found the correct scenario to enter into the Dept of Records. There is also a modification for a weather scenario which has the "W" in the name.

It might be some work, but it is not difficult to do. I think it took me about 1 minute to find the correct scenario.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:50 pm 

Ernie, I did my best to say that your solution wouldn't work in every circumstance but I couldn't come up with one where it didn't. Combining the scenario name from the cpf file with the knowledge that you have of your choices in the campaign in consultation with the campaign editor, resulted in a Department of Records scenario selection every time.

It could be easier but now I can find the correct scenario to register each time. Thank you.

Lt Gen Ned Simms
1/1/VIII/AoS/USA
VMI Class of '00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:03 am 

I suspect that the reason we don't have that infomore easily available is that it wasn't designed for club play.

The risk in easily knowing the exact scenario is that it is a sore temptation to peek and find out all those little details, such as reinforcements, fixed units, dispositions and the like, all of which really take the fun out of campaigns.

Major General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA