American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:03 am 

I am currently being towelled up in the North Wood scenario @ Antietam (Well done so far Paul) but am feeling bitter n twisted about the FIXED limitation on Stuart's cavalry. I gather this is imposed to prevent them falling on the Federal right flank - Stuart being distracted historiaclly by the posibility of attack from the north and to their own left. However, my opponent has swung wide and fallen on my cavalry which I dismounted to better protect themselves. Being fixed they had no alternative but to receive the initial attack and then became locked into getting stomped all over - that in itself is not my gripe the pain lies in Stuart, two batteries and Fitz Lee's Bde remaining fixed while their comrades are copping it within plain sight and with routed units streaming past them (even on a bad day I think the Rebel Horse would have galloped to the sound of the guns and their comrades aid or got the Hell away)- The likelihood is that they in turn will be swamped as they are still FIXED. And the VP schedule is ridiculously weighted against cavalry losses. For the sake of fairness surely a better release mechanism is needed. Oh well. In hope of better days.

Dale Blair
2/2/I
AOA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:35 am 

You're quite right, although I normally delight in any discomfort suffered by a Reb!. I had a similar experience at 1st Bull Run with the Division of Miles attacked late in the game by reb forces which could pick off fixed Regiments and batterys one by one, the balance of the Division remaining fixed.
I think the designers should either let us have the units on map to use or leave them off totally. If we must have fixed units then they should be released by proximity of enemy units, say 5 or 10 hexes. Fixed units offer an enemy too much opportunity for free points that just isn't fair.

Capt. Jim Wilkes.
2nd Brigade, Cavalry Division, XX Corps.
AoC. U.S.A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:51 am 

They are released when units get to 5 hexes, if a LOS exists. Perhaps we could tweak it to unfixed at 5 even if LOS doesn't exist.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:34 pm 

You obviously didn't play the BG games, fixed units there didn't release until attacked in some fashion, at least in the HPS games if they see the enemy within 5 hexes they're released.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:19 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by krmiller</i>
<br />You obviously didn't play the BG games, fixed units there didn't release until attacked in some fashion, at least in the HPS games if they see the enemy within 5 hexes they're released.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:40 am 

you want ugly! BG Shiloh as the Union. That's ugly.

Brig. Gen. Phil Driscoll
1st Brigade/1st Division/VCorps/AoP