American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:22 am 

Hey Tom,

The Seabee base at Davisville was closed down in 1974, they moved two battalions to Port Hueneme,Ca. and two to Gulfport,Ms. I think the State of Rhode Island took over at Q-point and use it for shipping goods in and out of the U.S. My father in Law said that the last time he was over there, there was a bunch of new cars coming in from overseas for dealerships up in the north east.

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
III Corp
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:06 am 

I served four years in the United States Navy, 1964-1968, as an Interior Communications Electrician.

If you don't mind, Tom, I'll take a stab at the difference between a fairy tale and a sea story. A fairy tale is a bunch of BS told by a Navy guy who's never been across the equator. A sea story is the same thing told by a sailor (make that "shellback") who has!

Here's an example! One day two sailors, one a shellback and the other not, were standing on the deck trying to figure out how to mount the new, outdoor movie screen to the rear of the aft stack. As a wide-screen it promised much enjoyment for the crew's movie that night. "Well, it's apparent to me," said the uninitiated swabbie as he studied the situation, "that we're going to have to use a <i>skyhook</i>!" After a short pause the shellback piped in, "Yeah! We'll need <i>two</i> of 'em!"

Col. Jos. C. Meyer,
4th "California" Brg'd, Cav. Div., 14th Corps, Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:25 am 

Well Joe, that is close...let's say that yours IS a "sea story" in combination with the navy jibes about skyhooks, buckets of steam, mail buoy watch and the key to the bow door...but generically the difference between a fairy tale and a sea story is....a fairy tale starts out "Once upon a time..." and a sea story starts out "This ain't no s**t!...." [:D] So there you go shipmate...now you have a coarse introduction sometime at a cocktail party...in the right company of course (no pun intended) to introduce some tall Sea Story of your exploits as IC...perhaps, for example, of climbing the antenna above the main stack of a Tin Can, in a storm, in the North Atlantic,in the winter with icebergs floating by, listing 30 degrees and the bow going under while you hung on with your left hand, a flashlight in your mouth and your pliers in your right hand [:D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Meyer</i>
<br />I served four years in the United States Navy, 1964-1968, as an Interior Communications Electrician.

If you don't mind, Tom, I'll take a stab at the difference between a fairy tale and a sea story. A fairy tale is a bunch of BS told by a Navy guy who's never been across the equator. A sea story is the same thing told by a sailor (make that "shellback") who has!

Here's an example! One day two sailors, one a shellback and the other not, were standing on the deck trying to figure out how to mount the new, outdoor movie screen to the rear of the aft stack. As a wide-screen it promised much enjoyment for the crew's movie that night. "Well, it's apparent to me," said the uninitiated swabbie as he studied the situation, "that we're going to have to use a <i>skyhook</i>!" After a short pause the shellback piped in, "Yeah! We'll need <i>two</i> of 'em!"

Col. Jos. C. Meyer,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer, AoC,
XIV Corps,Cav Division
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AT, CTH, GB, OZK, SH, VK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:45 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Meyer</i>
<br />I served four years in the United States Navy, 1964-1968, as an Interior Communications Electrician.

Col. Jos. C. Meyer,

I was an IC Electrician also (and also a shellback). Best rate in the Navy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:30 pm 

Well I gave it the old Navy try, Tom! And you've got it only half right yourself! I had the pliers in my mouth and the flashlight in my hand.

Col. Shannon, it is always a pleasure to meet another basketball player from PacBell!

Now for this, and it ain't no s**t! I was doing an early morning repair job on the bridge of an old sub tender while she was underway down the Pacific coast off Mexico, when the navigation watch changed at 0800. The outgoing OOD, an old, savy Lieutenant, asked the incoming young ensign what his appraisal of the sea was for his entry into the ship's log. With a great deal of appreciation at being allowed to display his knowledge of the nautical evolutions the ensign threw up his binoculars and intently scanned the horizon for a few moments. I stopped what I was doing, expecting to hear a concise, studied report about the current wind and sea force directions and magnitudes, thus belaying any misgivings I might have had about the competency of our ship's officers. After a few moments more the ensign pulled his glasses down and officiously announce, "Looks pretty good to me!"

Col. Jos. C. Meyer,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:25 pm 

US Navy 10yrs (1983-1993) never spent a day on a ship !

MG Frank DiNola
2/3/II AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:32 pm 

Hey, if memory serves, the USMC are part of the USN, so Navy rules!
19-175!!!!!!!!!![:D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tciampa</i>
<br />I just looked at this tally again...and what is the second number again..i.e. Army 15-<b>160</b> ?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by babb35</i>
<br />Final Talley
Army 15-160[:D]
Navy 13-124[B)]
USMC 6-51
USAF 5-71
FR.CAV.1-1

LTC. Charles Babb
COLD STEEL!
6th Brigade,3rd Division
XXIII Corps
Army of the Ohio

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer, AoC,
XIV Corps,Cav Division
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AT, CTH, GB, OZK, SH, VK

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:17 am 

Was reading some of the draft stories. Here is mine
I beat the draft in 1969 by enlisting( I think they called it "volunteering" for the draft.) the only advantage was we got to choose which branch of the service to serve in. I chose Army( ya I know[:I])

I got down to the induction center in Pittsburgh, musta been a hundred of us. We were sitting around telling prewar stories when a Sargeant with a million stripes came into the room. He looked us over and counted out the first ten along a wall( one of which was me). "you ten, come with me- you`re gonna be in the marines!!" Shocked doesnt even describe our reactions. One guy actually started to bawl!! I too was upset. Finding bravado I didnt know I had I announced that I was a VOLUNTEER for the Army and I had the papers to prove it( no actual papers). Too busy to bother the Sarge just looked at the next guy in line and said-"screw it-you go instead."
I was in the Army now!!- I found out later that most of those guys served their tour in the Caribbean Sea while I went to `Nam[:o)]

Colonel Tony Best
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:28 am 

Hey Col. Meyer,

I've crossed the equator several times in my 24 yr career in the Bee's but it was always in a Air Farce C-141 [:D], but I did spend 6 days on a supply ship returning to Christchurch,NZ. [8D]

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
III Corp
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:33 am 

Well, Gary, I suppose that those equatorial flyovers ought to count for something, but I'm not sure for what! You see that's the trouble with the SeaBees. They're always flitting about in a great rush either tearing things down or putting things up, all in the name of the Navy! There's really nothing turtle-ish about it, and I'm not sure if the age old title of "shellback" really applies here. How about an honorary title of "Cou Cou," which is the Barbadian name for Flying Fish? (And I think we'll just have to throw out that Christchurch, New Zealand stuff!)

Col. Jos. C. Meyer,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:58 am 

Hey folks. I served in the U.S. Navy from 1977 to 1981 in VS-33, an anti-submarine squadron out of NAS North Island near San Diego. While our S-3 Viking squadron was based in the West, the World Famous Screwbirds deployed on the USS America in the Caribbean and the Med. A few years ago I noticed that the squadron was recently decommissioned. Guess there aren't many Russian subs to track anymore! One unfortunate thing I noticed was some politically correct commander actually had the squadron logo changed from a big frowning red woodpecker with a screw through his belly to some innocuous coat of arms. But VS-33 will always be known as the Screwbirds.

Regards, Conjotter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:08 pm 
Greetings,
Too late to add mine? US Navy, 20 years, 1985-2005. Various Division Officer jobs in <i>USS El Paso</i> (LKA-117); Main Propulsion Assistant in <i>USS Monterey</i> (CG-61); Chief Engineer in <i>USS Shiloh</i> (CG-67), <i>USS John Hancock</i> (DD-981), & <i>USS Mitscher</i> (DDG-57). Served out the final three years in Pearl Harbor on shore duty at ATG MIDPAC. Kept my uniform, teaching high school NJROTC since then, which has proven more demanding than much of the active-duty time. Sure miss the UCMJ some days.

A very respectful salute goes to General Bastiani's father in <i>USS Johnston</i> at the Battle of Leyte Gulf. From Herman Wouk's <i>War and Remembrance</i>, and quoted in <i>The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors</i>: The vision of Sprague's three destroyers - the <i>Johnston</i>, the <i>Hoel</i>, and the <i>Heermann</i> - charging out of the smoke and the rain straight toward the main batteries of Kurita's battleships and cruisers, can endure as a picture of the way Americans fight when they don't have superiority. Our schoolchildren should know about that incident, and our enemies should ponder it." <i>Johnston's</i> skipper earned a posthumous Medal of Honor, and the ship lost more than half its crew in that action.

Salute!
GEN Gene Nix, II/AotM
Boggy Creek Swamp Rats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:04 am 

Us Navy folks want a recount![:D]

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:28 am 
Late to the party. 32 years this month in the Navy and still serving. Mustang: 15 years enlisted, 17 years commissioned. Submarine ordnance. LANT and PAC.

Glad to be back in the ACWGC after a few years away.

Jeff Mathes
Lieutenant
Sharpshooter Brigade
1st Division
III Corps, AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:52 am 

Alright, somethin is wrong with these numbers. I think the Navy has something fishy going on here.[:D]
Since the Navy is winning I will do a retalley every once and a while.
At present
Navy 19-174[:0]
Army 15-160[:p]
USMC 6-51
USAF 5-71
FR.CAV.1-1

LTC. Charles Babb
COLD STEEL!
6th Brigade,3rd Division
XXIII Corps
Army of the Ohio

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next