American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:07 pm 

Same can be said about the Air Force, ever time we would go on deployment we would be given accommodation's on their C141 MAC flights. So after 24 yrs in the Seabees only spent six days on a supply ship returning to Christchurch,NZ. Besides if it weren't for the Seabees then the Marines wouldn't have a place to eat in, sleep in, and someone has to babysit them. [:D]

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
III Corp
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:58 am 

Final Talley
Army 15-160[:D]
Navy 13-124[B)]
USMC 6-51
USAF 5-71
FR.CAV.1-1

LTC. Charles Babb
COLD STEEL!
6th Brigade,3rd Division
XXIII Corps
Army of the Ohio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:07 pm 

I don't know how I missed this and the tally...I bring the Navy up to one short of a tie.

USN 4 years, 1967 - 1971, AK2,Carriers: VS-22 (deployment Uss Essex, Intrepid, and Wasp) and Ship's Company Wasp.

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer, AoC,
XIV Corps,Cav Division
Games: TS/BG: AN, BR, CH, GB, SH - HPS: AT, CTH, GB, OZK, SH, VK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:11 pm 

EXCEPT in a bar where there are Marines, Squids AND Ourr-mee and/R force...THEY liked our help then...but I am being too kind to Mr. Miller after his slight of the navy...I have heard disc jockeys on base radio stations say that the time is 1530 for all you sailors, 3:30 for all you civilians, and for you marines out there...the big hand is on the three and the little hand is on the six. [:p]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by krmiller</i>
<br />The quickest way to start a bar fight is to tell a Marine he's part of the Navy. The truth is the Navy is nothing more than the Marine Corps taxi service. They get us there and we do the rest.[:D]

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer, AoC,
XIV Corps,Cav Division

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:46 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
Thought I had posted here earlier? Must be that CRS! Anyway, winner of the '72 Draft Lottery held in June of 1971. Two fish bowls, one with a number and one with a date. Seems they matched up my birthdate with the number 1. Oh baby, no being a grunt for me. Delayed enlisted in Oct '71 and started basic in Dec '71 at Fort Lewis, Washington. Didn't get out until October of 1980. Was trained as a Draftsman, worked as a surveyor, graphic artist and a Chaplain's Assistant.

<font size="4">GO BLUE! USA!
</font id="size4">
Regards,

<font color="orange"><font size="4">Nick Kunz
General
Commanding
Eastern Theatre Command
Confederate States of America</font id="orange"></font id="size4">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:44 am 

Gen Kunz,

I've finally found someone who beat me in the lottery. I was part of the first one, class of '69. I drew #13, wasn't I lucky ?
I had a 2S deferment in 69 and 70, lost my scholarship due to poor grades. Living at home and commuting to school every day I was unable to juggle school, work and a social life at that age. When the draft board didn't receive a notice that I was still in school in the fall of '70 they contacted me to find out why and said I would be hearing from them. I enlisted the next day on the delay program to give my boss time to find a replacement for me. Four weeks later I got my first airplane ride on my way to Parris Island.

About six weeks into boot camp I got a letter from my mother saying she had received my draft notice and that I was to report to the federal building for induction the following day. I hadn't had a good laugh in 6 weeks and I couldn't help it and started laughing. Needless to say this set the DI off and he yelled my name and ordered me front and center. I ran up to his desk and he gave me the usual hard time, why was I laughing, did I find his Marine Corps funny etc. I told him I had to go home, I'd been drafted and had to report to the federal building in Pittsburgh tomorrow morning. Even he smiled at that one before growling at me to get back to my bunk.

Best part is this wasn't as bad as what happened to another guy I ran into later. He had been in the corps about 16 months and had been in Vietnam for 6 months when he got his draft notice. Needless to say they didn't let him go home either.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:20 am 

My number was 352, but I was on an NROTC scholarship, so the high number was wasted on me. If I'd known you guys back then, I might have traded.[8D]

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:44 am 

Interesting story Ken, but I can top your Marine story...I graduated from Syracuse in 1966 before the lottery...got a job at NYS DOT working on LBJ's Interstate Defense highways. DOT put in for a deferment for me before I got my draft notice...draft notice came...July of 1967. The first time since WWII the Marines drafted from selective service...I was given the choice of enlisting instead. Didn't want to be a Marine so I joined the Navy...was in bootcamp when my mother forwareded me a letter from DOT. She hadn't opened it. It was a dark day in Mudville, Great Lakes at mail call...My deferment was granted! And no #13's to pin it on either....that isn't all...I was guaranteed an A School in Avaition by my LTCmD recruiting officer...had a little paper contract and all...went to classification after boot and they told me that I was going to be a Medic!!! [B)] A damn marine without a gun!!! Fortunately I pulled out my little paper guaranteeing me an A Class Navy school in Aviation and said I would write Jacob Javits if they didn't honor the enlistment contract...and I guess I was lucky to get a not too obtuse 1st Class bosun' who was in charge of the classification office who gambled that it would be trouble for him and with great anger and contempt, he said, "We just happen to have one seat left in Aviation Storekeeper School...so I went to Memphis for training and then my squadron and three different ships. I was lucky. I had my degree but the problem was there were so many men coming out of college from Naval ROTC and the Platoon Leader program (for Marines) because of the high draft in those late months leading up to TET, that they were only taking anyone from the enlisted services for OCS who had a masters degree...which left me out. The fleet wasn't so bad...I was halfway through a four year hitch when the CO of my squadron offered me a shoe-in to OCS...had to re-up for four more years....turned him down...was he pissed.

What a time that was but I wouldn't trade my years at sea and my adventure in the navy for anything.

Sorry about the navy and marine military time/clock joke Ken...but us squids never liked that taxicab business. Even your BAMs (Broad A**-ed Marines) would razz us...I once asked one for date and she looked at me and said very seriously..."Squids are for Kids!" And then, "I only date Grunts." [:D] True story, not a Sea Story...and any one out there who doesn't know what a Sea Story is...write me and I will tell you.

Yes sir...at 63, I'd go back and do it all over again.

Thanks for serving...all you guys...before and those serving now.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by krmiller</i>
<br />Gen Kunz,

I've finally found someone who beat me in the lottery. I was part of the first one, class of '69. I drew #13, wasn't I lucky ?
I had a 2S deferment in 69 and 70, lost my scholarship due to poor grades. Living at home and commuting to school every day I was unable to juggle school, work and a social life at that age. When the draft board didn't receive a notice that I was still in school in the fall of '70 they contacted me to find out why and said I would be hearing from them. I enlisted the next day on the delay program to give my boss time to find a replacement for me. Four weeks later I got my first airplane ride on my way to Parris Island.

About six weeks into boot camp I got a letter from my mother saying she had received my draft notice and that I was to report to the federal building for induction the following day. I hadn't had a good laugh in 6 weeks and I couldn't help it and started laughing. Needless to say this set the DI off and he yelled my name and ordered me front and center. I ran up to his desk and he gave me the usual hard time, why was I laughing, did I find his Marine Corps funny etc. I told him I had to go home, I'd been drafted and had to report to the federal building in Pittsburgh tomorrow morning. Even he smiled at that one before growling at me to get back to my bunk.

Best part is this wasn't as bad as what happened to another guy I ran into later. He had been in the corps about 16 months and had been in Vietnam for 6 months when he got his draft notice. Needless to say they didn't let him go home either.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer, AoC,
XIV Corps,Cav Division

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:26 pm 

<br />
in the fall of '70 they contacted me to find out why and said I would be hearing from them. I enlisted the next day on the delay program to give my boss time to find a replacement for me. Four weeks later I got my first airplane ride on my way to Parris Island.

Hmmmm! I was a DI at Parris Island from early 1970 to 1974.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:01 am 

I just looked at this tally again...and what is the second number again..i.e. Army 15-<b>160</b> ?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by babb35</i>
<br />Final Talley
Army 15-160[:D]
Navy 13-124[B)]
USMC 6-51
USAF 5-71
FR.CAV.1-1

LTC. Charles Babb
COLD STEEL!
6th Brigade,3rd Division
XXIII Corps
Army of the Ohio

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer, AoC,
XIV Corps,Cav Division

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:10 am 

I'm pretty sure it's, # of people - Total # of Years [8D]

Lt. Joe McCleery
4/3/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:53 am 

Yes this is correct. # of people and then # of years.

LTC. Charles Babb
COLD STEEL!
6th Brigade,3rd Division
XXIII Corps
Army of the Ohio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:22 am 

Yeah, my favortite, NAS Quonset Point, RI is all tennis courts, soccer and Little league fields..a couple of hangers used for storage and I think a small museum...brick barracks all torn down as is the once very charming chapel that the wife and I got married in. [:(]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Banshee</i>
<br />Does anyone ever use Google Earth, or Yahoo Maps to look st the places we were at so long ago? They sure do change a lot over time.

Gen. J. Cuneo, CSA
Army of Alabama, Cmdg

Image Image

"Then call us Rebels, if you will. We glory in the name. For bending under unjust laws,
and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame."

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer, AoC,
XIV Corps,Cav Division

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:16 am 

Hey Tom,

Up at Q-point some Seabee vets have built a museum, and placed the old Seabee model that was out at the front gate is now in front of the museum. And the museum is open to the public. Good thing the second number isn't for IQ, I'd feel sorry for the Marines[:p]

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
III Corp
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:16 am 

Thanks for that info...I drove through about four years ago the last time we visited Cape Cod...the entrance to the NAS had changed and as I recall you now pass right by the entrance to the Davisville SeaBee entrance. We didn't stop to visit but just drove around to see what was left. Not sure whether the museum I heard about was the CB museum or one at Quonset...perhaps there are two, one for each base. I believe the SeaBee base is still in operation right? Or did they move all operational units to the west coast now? I remember the monument..it was pretty neat. Glad they kept it. Quonset just had a bunch of anchors all over and the rusting hulk of the Tarwara tied up to the north pier...as I recall anyway, and I was responsible for an "anchor chain" monument in front of Hanger No.1....funny story which I will have to tell you about some time.

Still waiting to hearif anyone from the USN knows the difference between a Fairy Tale and a Sea Story...[:)]

Thanks,
Tom

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boilertech</i>
<br />Hey Tom,

Up at Q-point some Seabee vets have built a museum, and placed the old Seabee model that was out at the front gate is now in front of the museum. And the museum is open to the public. Good thing the second number isn't for IQ, I'd feel sorry for the Marines[:p]

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
III Corp
AotM CSA

Major General
Tom Ciampa
Commanding Officer, AoC,
XIV Corps,Cav Division

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next