American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:07 pm 
Pat, I want to clarify by saying that the important bit here is that I believe that it would benefit certain members of the club to have read only access to the DoR so that they could run direct querys from the database (even a regulary copied version of the database).

This is what Larry and I have campaigned for. To be able to filter and read the information and output it in a way that would make our web sites more dynamic and reduce the time spent updating databases (by copying reports from the DoR into a spreadsheet, tranfering into a database and then updating our databases to transfer the needed information to our websites).

I am pointing this out because we have been asking for access or a regular updated copy of the DoR to enable us to write better pages, I will continue to (because I hate to do something over and over when if done once correctly would be enough).

On the points you make...one thing jumped out
1-8 past history
9 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">because it is Cabinet Policy to preserve a Member's good Name, regardless of any scurrilous behaviour by that member and past because there is a campaign and belief that " the Past belongs in the Past."! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Yet you ingnore this in your points one to eight.

Larry has been volatile and has rubbed many people up the wrong way, I agree, but lets not lose the point here...this is not about Larry, it is about <font color="red">(READ ONLY ACCESS)</font id="red"> to the DoR so that us Admin Staff who create your web sites and try to keep them up to date can have an easier life (I sometimes spend 15 hours working on sites etc for them to be out of date the very next day).

I don't want to mess with the DoR neither did Larry, we just wanted to write code that could use the powerful tool that was the DoR to its full potential. Even a copy that was updated on a weekly basis would have removed a big burden from us, and I do not think that is too much to ask. I would rather be writing more web pages than updating (for the twentieth time)a site I created a year ago.

Think about my point, because I am the one trying to pick up what is left.

<center>Lt. Gen. Edward Stewart
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/Csa_Dossiers/Stewart_Edward_OBD.cfm"]Image[/url]

Army Commander - ANV
ACWGC Cabinet - CSA Secretary</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:48 pm 

There's a lot more to this than RO access to the DoR Ed...way more - and I'm pretty sure you know that.

Also, I don't have the post handy but I specifically remember Larry saying he would never pull the plug on his site, so that all the content there wouldn't be effected, regardless what transpired...yet here we are with him doing just that. So we have one person picking up his marbles and going home and its going to impact a large percentage of the club. E-mail addresses, web sites, forums, etc.

I could go on, but I won't outside of saying this transition needs to happen. No single individual needs to have that much influence and/or control in a club like this...its just plain bad for the membership.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:12 pm 

what the heck is a dor anyway,,,,,,,,

MG. VANNADA
HEADQUATERS:
2nd INFT.DIV.
2ND CORPS
AOA

http://www.geocities.com/heydreck/AOA.h ... 3437?20075

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:50 pm 
DoR is Department of Records, Kerry.

Gen. J. Cuneo, CSA
Army of Alabama, Cmdg

Image Image

"Then call us Rebels, if you will. We glory in the name. For bending under unjust laws,
and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:44 am 

I agree with Bill. Lets lock this one up and move on.

Colonel Tony Best
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:00 am 

Agree with Bill and Tony.

Nothing good will come of this....

<center>Image
General John Corbin
Commander in Chief
Army of The Shenandoah
USA</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:10 am 

Just returned from a weeks R & R (visited Gettysburg and Manassas) and found that all h**l has broken loose. Again. I concur with my more sensible colleagues about locking this topic.

Lt.General Dale Lastowicka
4th Brigade, 1st Division, VIII Corps, AOS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:05 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />Frankly I wish this topic now would go away. Only harm and hurt is going to come of it.

I have as much access to the DoR as I need. Thus I disagree with Larry that we need more access.

I dont think we need to start harping on each other here. I say lock this topic and see you later Larry.

Col. Bill Peters, The Boise Rifles, II Corps Artillery, AoA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Agreed. I will pull my contribution.

Gen. Den McBride
ANV
swampfox_csa(at)yahoo.ca