American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tech Help Requested
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:01 pm 
Hey all,

Windows Vista is beginning to remind me of Millenium. The HPS directory has had its permissions/attributes changed somehow and I can't seem to get it set back to what it should be. If I right click the folder instead of saying read and execute as it does with other directories within the "Program Files" it says read only. Furthermore, the only way I can get Winrar to create an archive (zip file) was to right click the winrar exe file and click the "run as administrator" checkbox. Its not a major issue I suppose but its very annoying and I've started having trouble with game files as well (when I right click the file to be sent I can usuall click compress and e-mail but not any longer as the files don't arrive as they were sent).

If anyone can walk me through fixing this I would certainly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Lt. Gen. M. Conrad Smith
4th Division, III Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:27 pm 

I believe Windows Vista is Millenium renamed, updated, and resold.[:D]

I new they had crapped and stepped in it when the first recommendation in the Windows Vista for Dummies book was that you disable the UAC. The first thing I recommend is that you disable the UAC. The second if you have HPS games installed in the Program Files folder that you uninstall them. Create a folder for them under the "C" or better yet "D" drive. Something like "C:/HPS" and install them there. Nothing works properly in the Program Files folder unless the program was specifically designed to work with Vista, which I am not sure there is such a thing. The OS is enforcing rules you can't see in that folder. I don't even think turning off the UAC will solve problems in that folder.

Better yet, reformat your drive and install Windows XP.[;)]
That's what I did. Works great now.

Or wait two years for Windows 7 comes out and Microsoft tries to fix the screw up Vista was.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:44 pm 
Yeah, I've been thinking of asking my laptop manufacturer for a set of xp drivers for this machine. I have a couple of xp disks(licenses) I can use. I 'd rather not reformat though asI just got my e-mail working again. I wonder if vista is why thunderbird went wacky on me?

Ok, that said, if I install these games straight to the root (C) will I have memory issues like in older versions of windows?

Lt. Gen. M. Conrad Smith
4th Division, III Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:38 pm 

What's Windows 7?

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
III Corp
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:32 pm 

I suggest installing to C:\Games\ACW and then a folder for each game. I have all my time periods setup like that. Easy to get to and no system folders involved.

Avoid installing straight to C:\ as there is still a 256 folder max there I believe, and no point in pushing that along when it isn't necessary.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:31 pm 
Hey Rich,

Thanks for the info; I'll set it up as you suggested. [:)]

P.S. Works beautifully, I don't have to "run as administrator."

Lt. Gen. M. Conrad Smith
4th Division, III Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:58 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boilertech</i>
<br />What's Windows 7?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The next version of Windows they have started work on...Vista has done so poorly that theya re forging on ahead, as it certainly won't get the life span XP has.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:17 pm 

Yep, "7" is Microsoft internal designation for their new Windows OS. The fact that its scheduled for 2010 release indicates how big a flop Vista is. Probably will see the UAC either go away or be comepletely redone so it isn't such a pain in the rear with all the gurus recommending you turn it off. Also will probably see their digital rights initiative go down the tube. Even the record companies Microsoft was trying to protect are giving up on this one.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:02 am 

At the risk of going off topic I don't have any issues with Vista UAC and I'm using Vista Business 64. Occasionally get a prompt "do you want to do that", but it's no problem to me. I install all my games in c:\Games\ to avoid problems described in the original post. I've had zero problems with games that actually run in Vista. Games for Windows games I'll let install in the default directory since they're supposed to be Vista aware. I run the Talonsoft games in MS Virtual PC with no issues except sound effects are muted. I wouldn't go back to XP.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:32 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dirk Gross</i>
<br />At the risk of going off topic I don't have any issues with Vista UAC and I'm using Vista Business 64. Occasionally get a prompt "do you want to do that", but it's no problem to me. I install all my games in c:\Games\ to avoid problems described in the original post. I've had zero problems with games that actually run in Vista. Games for Windows games I'll let install in the default directory since they're supposed to be Vista aware. I run the Talonsoft games in MS Virtual PC with no issues except sound effects are muted. I wouldn't go back to XP.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Games certified on Vista should work fine. It's the older games and those that require the latest video drivers that have problems. The older ones because they weren't designed with the ACL restrictions Vista uses. Drivers because the hardware companies are having problems with Vista. Some of the NVIDIA drivers are so buggy you have to match the game with a particular version. If you have another game it may not work with that version.

And OS that requires you to upgrade all your existing software to match it is a no-no. A good example is Microsoft Outlook 2000 isn't compatible with Vista. There is no fix, you just don't use functions that have problems.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)