American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Crew Kill Intangibles
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:52 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
<br />One thing I have noticed recently is the vulnerability of crews. In previous games such as Peninsula, it seemed very difficult to kill crews, even with a large musket-armed regiment at point blank range with flanking fire. Now I have seen crews taken out fairly regularly with 400+ men at 500 yds (4 hexes) even though the batteries were in town. Using the default fire table rather than the alternate might contribute to this, because an abnormally high casualty result would be more likely. But I have reports from a friend playing the Chickamauga module who is using the alternate table that he has noticed the same phenomenon. Has something changed?

I used to advocate real crews because you had to fire at artillery a long time to have any appreciable effect. Now I advocate it because the uncrewed result is far too likely. Neither result reflects history.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Mike raises two "crew" questions. (Which is why we are here, near Turner's gap, instead of 'back there', and, yet, still just barely able to make out the saintly spires of Sharpsburg's historic downtown Shaker's First Congregational Church of Former-Day-Dunkers ... and because of the apparent growing bloody-lane of concern, too, regarding thread length.)

Q1) May I assume <i>we</i> did not overlook Tiller's crew-kill formula in the users-manual or his parameter data? (something I admittedly have blown more than once.) If not, might a knowledgable soul, please, direct us to the officially sanctioned copy of Tiller's Crew Kill Probability Formula? Thank you.

Q2) Lastly, has the crew-kill formula changed <i>again</i> with Campaign Antietam as one suspects? The ususal suspects want to know.

Fld. Lt. D. Shoeless, CSA
Secretary of the Cabinet (Ret)
1st Tenn Provisional Army

<center><i>From a certain point onward there is no turning back. That is the point that must be reached.</i> --F. Kafka</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:02 am 

As yet, there have been no changes.

Currently, the crew killed result comes using a percentage chance based on the nominal number of men killed. That is, a 5 man loss is a 5% chance of crew killed.

But we are working on a change.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:23 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />But we are working on a change.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That is some of the best news I have heard in a while. :)

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:59 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />As yet, there have been no changes.

Currently, the crew killed result comes using a percentage chance based on the nominal number of men killed. That is, a 5 man loss is a 5% chance of crew killed.

But we are working on a change.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Thanks and Good work. Incidentally, is the 5-man loss = 5% chance of crew being killed included in the parameter data? If not, would you consider seeing this too updated? Thanks.

Fld Lt D. Shoeless, CSA

<center><i>From a certain point onward there is no turning back. That is the point that must be reached.</i> --F. Kafka</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:17 pm 

Currently, it is not a feature of the pdt, but that may change.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:06 pm 
<br />Currently, it is not a feature of the pdt, but that may change.

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It needs to be in the parameter data, otherwise is there cause for something to hide here? (rhetorical question)

Fld. Lt. D. Shoeless, CSA