American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Speed scenarios?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:28 pm 

I'm new to the club, so pardin, if this topic has been hashed and rehashed.

Both HPS and TS give the feeling of what a commander feels like when his troops are being overrun or gaining a major victory, etc....

What if optional 10 - 20 move scenarios could be played for a specific time (1 hour or 2). Wouldn't that make a commander have to make split decisions on the battlefield?

I would think too, the scenario would be worth more points?

I used to play chess online and a game would last a hour or 2, i've surprised playing these short scenarios, that it couldn't be done.

Just throwing a bone out there.

Capt. Seger
4/3/VIII, AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:54 pm 

You're taking for granted that both players be at a computer at the same time . . . I am like many players, and have settled on these PBEM games as a diversion because I <u>don't</u> have to be at the computer when my opponent is.

Sincerely,
Brig Gen Dwight McBride
V Corps/AOP/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:44 pm 

Most of the time that is true, but what about those late weekend afternoons when nothing is going on or here in the north for 6 months of the year when it is cold and miserable outside and nothing better to do than re-create history?

Of course you couldn't play a 156 turn Gettysburg scenario that way, but a 10 move or 20 move scenario without many troops to move, it could be done easily.
This forum is full of threads of making the game more realistic, but doesn't the time factor make it very realistic? These cw commanders had minutes to make major decisons about battles. Why not fight a batttle the same way?

Capt. Seger
4/3/VIII, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:47 pm 

You can play any of the scenarios, online. Post a challenge in the opponents forum and see how it goes. Make sure you list your time zone to make it easier to get a match, along wiyh some times that might work for you.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:51 pm 

<font color="beige"><b>Capt. Seger,

I've played several "direct play" games online with Gen. Lars Wistedt, from Sweden I believe, I'm on the USA east coast so the time difference was a bit of a pain to work out.

It is a very fun way to play, the game allows you to set a time limit for each turn so if you play a 12 turn game with 5 min. turns the game will last 2 hours. The time limit makes for a fast on your feet game, a very intense 2 hours of play. Course the game can be stopped and restarted at a later time so you could play a longer scenario over a period of weeks.

As you say a cold winters afternoon would be a great time to play a scenario...if you look me up in Nov. or Dec. I'll be happy to play one or two.</b></font id="beige">

<center> <font color="beige"><b>Maj.Gen. R.A.Weir </b></font id="beige">
<font color="blue"><font size="4">AoA Chief of Staff</font id="size4"></font id="blue">
<b>ACWGC Cabinet Member</b>
<font color="yellow">THE CALVERT LINE</font id="yellow">
<font color="beige"><b>4th ENGINEERS
2nd - II
<font size="5">AoA</font id="size5"></b></font id="beige"> </center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:21 am 

Thanks for info, ideas.
I'm not much in a position at this time to do this either. 3 of my 4 kids are in baseball and tournaments start soon.
I think it would be a intense way to play and on one of our many cold winter days, we'll play one or 2 Robert. If, the kids let me on the computer.........

Capt. Seger
4/3/VIII, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:23 am 

I'd be up for some of that either as a single session or over several weeks as Gen. Weir mentioned.

I've spent countless nights, sitting down for several hour sessions to fly IL-2 online tournaments. Though not so much recently. Also, some of these tourney's are played for many weeks in a campaign fashion. I'm a veteran of this style of play and it's kind of fun to have something on the schedule like that to look forward to each week.

Can you play multi-player this way too? That would be fun and a good way to keep those games moving.

Lt. Joe McCleery
4/3/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:10 pm 

"Can you play multi-player this way too? That would be fun and a good way to keep those games moving."

<font color="beige"><b>Lt. McCleery,

HPS does have a very good multi-player direct play system, there is a communication system so that players from each side can message each other or message the "enemy" and troops are assigned to each player so only the player assigned can move those units. It's easier to get a game setup and going if you use an IM program to communicate and then once you are up and running you can use the built in message system.

We played this way at Tiller Con with several computers set up on a hub, the neat thing is all the players on one side can move and fire at the same time....the opponents watching have action going on all over the battle field at once.....not like watching a regular replay, so each player watches the area around them and lets the other players worry about their fronts.</b></font id="beige">

<center> <font color="beige"><b>Maj.Gen. R.A.Weir </b></font id="beige">
<font color="blue"><font size="4">AoA Chief of Staff</font id="size4"></font id="blue">
<b>ACWGC Cabinet Member</b>
<font color="yellow">THE CALVERT LINE</font id="yellow">
<font color="beige"><b>4th ENGINEERS
2nd - II
<font size="5">AoA</font id="size5"></b></font id="beige"> </center>