American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:12 am 

A co-worker of mine is a member of a CT regiment and took these pictures. I thought some people may be interested. [:D] http://www.flickr.com/photos/79thnycomp ... 035574120/

Brig. Gen. Phil Driscoll
1st Brigade/1st Division/VCorps/AoP

PS I think the site was actually north of Gettysburg. I believe there were about 10000 re-enactors pretty evenly split.[:)]

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:14 am 

Excellent!!!!

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:54 pm 

Hi Phil,
Outstanding pictures, your friend / co-worker must be a Chief in the Naval Reserves going by the user name on the pictures.

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
III Corp
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:10 pm 
I went to the last day. It was fun, first time I took my kids to a reenactment. They enjoyed it immensely. What I don't understand is, why in tarnation the Rebs insist on still firing long with the arty and charging across all that open ground with poor Pickett et al. You'd think by now they'd figure out it ain't gonna work... [:)]

Anyway, some more info on the event - about 50 guns on each side, at least one came from California, and the Napoleon on the Rebs far right was an actual CW piece. It was stationed at a fort in the South and this was, as it's owner put it, 'it's fust trip across the Mason-Dixon line'. For Pickett's Charge, the guns fired for about one hour, and then the troops advanced. Reb skirmishers came out about 15 minutes before the bombardment lifted and removed the fence rails at the Emmittsburg Pike for their comrades forming up in the wood. An interesting aside - IRL it was reported that one 16 foot rail section near the pike inspected after the battle had been struck by over 800 projectiles.

Our viewing section (picked by my wife, who didn't heed my advice about enfilading the angle ) was the equivalent of being at the back of the crest of Cemetary Ridge, so the view of the angle and copse was obstructed. I did see Armestead up on his horse and unfortunately for him, so did the fellers with the canister and minie balls...[:D]

Lt Gen Bill Braddock, 1/3/III ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:28 am 
Thanks for the link to the photos. Good stuff.

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:03 am 
Made a last minute decision to head down to Gettysburg for the anniversary weekend. I went down with 2 guys, one of whom has become a close friend through work and is now battling cancer. We drove down, leaving Toronto at 4:15 am on Friday and pulled into Carlisle early Friday afternoon. Grabbed rooms at the Holiday Inn, which put us about 30 mins. from the reenactment fields. In the overall it was quite entertaining and somewhat stirring at its best. We saw all the major reenactment scenarios and spent a fair bit of time walking through the Union camp (the CSA one was way far off but the Confederate commanders were all near the main area and we saw and spoke with most of them). There were several very good renditions of senior officers on both sides, such that you knew who they were without asking. They were also very knowledgable and were quite happy to talk to folks "in period" about their situation, the war and their friends. Stonewall even made an appearance but I'm sure the yankees cried "foul" before he could engage in any of the planning or fighting. We spent Saturday at the fields as well. Saw some good artillery action, an interesting infantry battle... the highlight of which involved a CSA staff officer being thrown when his horse became spooked by a cannon firing immediately to their rear (the only time I saw a horse spooked the whole weekend), with the horse subsequently tearing across the field riderless, making for a very concerned section of spectators, as if to jump them. Man, this aninal was moving. It veered off at the last moment, with another CSA staffer in hot pursuit on horseback... it was really quite something. The din from the small arms and artillery was amazing. Lacking a video cam I actually phoned my voice mail at home so that I'd be able to listen to the firing when I got home. Sunday was Pickett's Charge and they really had to take some license in order to pull that off. Lots of troops though. Oh, there was a very good rendition of the East Cavalry Field fight as well on Saturday. On Sunday we also got into town, scouted around, had a couple of beers and got out onto the real battlefield, spending most of our time near the Longstreet monument on Seminary Ridge and then in Devil's Den... always an awesome spot.

Overall it was good. I'd had some doubts about the masses of people expected. The crowds were no bother though, other than it taking 20 to 30 mins. to get away from the reenactment at the end of the final day. I wouldn't hesitate to go back on the anniversary again. The town was crawling with people in period outfits. There were real hardcore folks and some obvious "farbs", including a CSA cavalry dude in what looked like a rayon shirt and a smattering of well equipped but overweight Confederates. The nerve!! There were also a great number of female reenactors, particularly among the cavalry and artillery units. It gave me a twinge at one point but then I came to realize they were plainly showing their appreciation for the event and the history behind it, as well as bringing new blood into the reenactor corps.

I have some pics and will try to extract them from my camera... they're on the internal memory because I loaned my memory card to someone before knowing I'd be making the trek. Will have to figure that one out.

Gen. Den McBride
ANV
swampfox_csa(at)yahoo.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:46 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boilertech</i>
<br />Hi Phil,
Outstanding pictures, your friend / co-worker must be a Chief in the Naval Reserves going by the user name on the pictures.

Respectfully,
Lt. Gen. Gery Bastiani
III Corp
AotM CSA

"If there is a shell or bullet over there destined for us, it will find us" - General James Longstreet

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Marty has a lot more pictures on his site. I am including the link here. Retired PNC. I'm a Retired ETC USN. We both work at Naval Submarine School.[:)]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79thnycompanyb/

Brig. Gen. Phil Driscoll
1st Brigade/1st Division/VCorps/AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:11 am 

They are excellent photos. Thanks a lot!

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/western_theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:27 am 

Thanks for sharing!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:08 am 

Great pics, luv all the smiling "dead" guys.[:D]