American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:33 am 
http://www.shoelessbivouac.net/acwhrules.html -- Select "Download" link.

Update (12-16-08) - This the final fine-tuning adjustment for troop releases.

<hr noshade size="1">
<center><b>Historical 1st Manassas - ver. 1.3
R.D. Richard / S.K. Hendley
A Grand Battle Scenario For John Tiller's / HPS Campaign Antietam
</b></center>

<u>Note</u>: Burnside (Hunter) reached Sudley Ford around 9:15 AM. The shift in deployment (from Scenario 103) complements this fact.

The following setup more or less commits the Union player to attempt McDowell's brilliant strategic opening flank maneuver.

<ul>a. Push forward the "historical" battle start time to 9:00 AM.

b. Shift Hunter's and Heintzelman's divisions forward (west) along the Sudley Ford trail by 4+ turns - placing Burnside's 2nd Rhode Island on hex 28, 13 and all other units trailing behind as per Scenario 103's setup. A barely perceptible change in troop "release" times more closely approximates Hunter's and Heintzelman's historical arrival times at Sudley Ford.

c. "Tyler's 3 brigades (Schenk, Sherman, and Keyes), situated some 600+ yards east of the Stone Bridge, begin the morning "fixed" until their release, beginning with the 10 AM turn (Sherman) as per McDowell's previous night's instructions. Tyler was instructed to stand ready to support the advance of both Hunter and Heintzelman.

d. Richardson's brigade (Tyler) begins the day "attached" to Col. Miles Division and was assigned to guard the Manassas-Centreville Road above Blackburn's Ford. Richardson also enjoys a small chance to be released, beginning with the 11 AM Turn.

e. Longstreet - like Richardson - similarly enjoys a small chance to be released, beginning with the 11 AM Turn.

f. Montgomery's 1 NJ, 2 NJ Vol. brigade (BG Runyon) may arrive at 3:20 PM as per reinforcement schedule.

g. Col. Miles Division has been positioned closer to Centreville's VP objective hex - otherwise it's possible for a rebel force to capture the Centreville VP objective without a "release" of any U.S. forces other than the 29th NY (Blenker) and Col. Miles, himself, due to the 5-hex Release Routine.

g. Bonham and Jones enjoy a small chance of being released, beginning with the 1 PM turn. 

h. Blenker and Davies (Miles division) similarly enjoy a small chance of being released, beginning with the 1 PM Turn. (The sole intent here is to insure a measure of "battlefield doubt" for both USA and CSA formations that never actually engaged in battle on July 21. So, anything should be possible if not highly probable.)

i. VP Objectives have been added to the map to invite a more historical path without demanding a precise a chain-of-events.

j . Victory conditions have been shifted to refect the added Union VP objectives.</ul><hr noshade size="1">

<u>Notes</u>:

<b>USA</b>

<ul>i. 4th Michigan (Wilcox) is removed from play, because his regiment "... was detached for rear-guard duty at Fairfax. Several games have this unit popping up at a wild variety of locations and times. The Official Records indicate that it never left Fairfax and was not involved in the battle" --R. Berg.

ii. Richardson's brigade (Tyler) begins "attached" to Col Miles division and assigned a defensive position along the Manassas-Centreville Road near the Butler house. Richardson enjoys a small chance to release, beginning at 11 AM.

iii. Montgomery's brigade (BG Runyon) may arrive as reinforcements late in the day.

iv. Union Division Commanders, Hunter, Heintzelman, Tyler, and Miles have been placed on the map for 'historical' purposes only. Because the program's "In Command" division leader bonus proves a-historic for our "historic" 1st Manassas battle (USA division commanders lacked the experience to lead anything more than individual regiments, which is precisely what they did.) - it is strongly recommend leaving them "fixed" in place for the remainder of play - but, this decision is left up to each team of players to determine.

v. Howard's brigade (Heintzelman) is strongly encouraged to continue along the Sudley Ford path of his Division as per his historical account, but again this decision is left up to each team of players to determine.</ul>

<b>CSA</b>

<ul>i. Jones' brigade was the only confederate force that pushed across Bull Run as per Beauregard's confusing (!) , ever-changing early morning instructions. (Ewell and Holmes never knew exactly what was expected of them so remained "in reserve".)

ii. 9 GA (Bartow's brigade) never arrived on the Manassas battlefield - having been left behind in the Shenandoah, hence, has been removed from the map.

iii. Bee's 6th NC should arrive near the battlefield just after 12 Noon as per reinforcement schedule.

iv. Roger's battery, assigned to Col. Cocke's brigade included Heaton's section - which is represented by one of Roger's three sections. Davidson's section (Latham's Arty - Cocke) has been deployed north of Evans position near the Carter Mansion as per Berg's OOB.

v. 1st VA "Unattached" is Col. J.E.B. Stuart (but unidentified in the game.)

vi. BG E.K. Smith's senior Colonel Arnold Elzy was returned to the officer replacement pool (for now), if only because Smith - although wounded in the climactic early afternoon battle near the Henry house, began the day in fit and healthy fighting spirits.

vii. According to Early's own narrative, he was ordered to move to reinforce the left "between 12 n. and 1 p.m." In game terms, this won't do if he is to have any chance to arrive near the Chin house before the end of the historical battle (nearing 4:40 p.m.). His "release" time has therefore been adjusted to fit within the context of this historically significant possibility.

viii. Bonham remained near Mitchell's throughout the day. Bonham and Jones, however, share a small chance to release - since anything's possible. (note: Bonham and Longstreet received direct orders to advance towards Centreville around 5 p.m..)</ul><hr noshade size="1">

<u>Sources</u>:

<ul>Rich Walker (OOB's) / Doug Strickler (Map).

Rich Walker (OOB's) / Doug Strickler (Map)

<i>First Blood--The 1st & 2nd Battles of Manassas</i>, c. 1990 -- Richard Berg's GBACW series.

<i>First Blood</i>- William C. Davis, c. 1983 (Time-Life series) - unfortunately the best book I own on the subject - from a view of the day's events from both sides' perspectives. Battle map details confirm R. Berg's troop deployments at 9:15 AM, July 21.

<i>Lee's Lieutenants</i>--Douglas S. Freeman, c. 1942 (renewed 1970)
Fighting for the Confederacy --E. Porter Alexander, c. 1989

General Jubal A. Early, <i>Narrative of the War Between the States</i>, c. 1989</ul>

Fld. Lt. D. Shoeless, CSA
Secretary of the Cabinet (Ret)
1st Tenn Provisional Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:14 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />Again its been shown that the Union Divisions offer less of a command bonus than what the CSA player has. Purely a moot point Denny. Taking them away assures the CSA player a victory. The Yanks will be needing to roll 1s and 2s all game as a result. Giving them the occaisional 3 and 4 might be the balancing point of the game.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Wow. That's news to some of us, Bill.

How, does having a Union brigade commander (providing one potential "in command" bonus) coupled to a Division Commander (adding a potential one additional "In Command" bonus) ever prove to a decided negative over rebel brigades with <u>no</u> division "in command" bonus? [:)] I will be pleased to concede any point(s) herein (assuming you are too) if we can explain your math [8D] - i.e, provide one or more <i>concrete</i>, example(s) from actual game play to prove the point. Thanks.

Meanwhile, the 1st Manassas "historical deployment" scenario invites wargamers to attempt something, perhaps, viewed as slightly radical around these here parts - that is, the re-creation of an early ACW grand battle. Can you perform better than the historical commander, given you are 200 Feet tall? Well, of course, you can - or at least you should! But, by a redeployment of troops and critical attention to release times, I feel we have created something more akin to the "historical" claims herein. ==Denny

Secretary of the Cabient (Ret)

<center><i>From a certain point onward there is no turning back. That is the point that must be reached.</i> --F. Kafka</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:17 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />No, you missed it. The Reb leaders DO get the bonus. They dont get bypassed.

Col. Bill Peters, The Boise Rifles, II Corps Artillery, AoA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Bill, I hazard a guess that <i>all</i> casual participants here, missed it too. [8)]

Something doesn't visibly compute.

Bottom Line: Are 'we' saying that Rebel brigade officers - at 1st Manassas - DO benefit from INVISBILE [8D] Division Level Commanders?!

And, so, just to be crystal clear - and for the benefit of all, when you say "Reb leaders," Bill, may we assume (assuming you to be all the more precise next time, thanks) that what you meant to say was that Reb "brigade officers" are the "leaders" you were refering to and that they DO get a division level "in command" bonus ...despite the very visible fact that the rebels have NO division level commanders at 1st Manassas?

And, to be sure, you aren't confusing the presence of Johnston's or Beauregard's Command Range in the mix?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have had VERY little problem recovering from disruption Denny. Thus if for some reason the missing command level is factoring in I am not seeing it.

If the command level was missing then the best that the Reb could hope for is a "2" for a die roll or less. I am seeing the Rebs recover MUCH faster than that kind of probability.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Too vague. In other words: How does this routine actually work?

Have you spoken to any HPS / Tiller employee who has explained what's actually going on here? And if so, why hasn't this been fleshed out / explained in our game manual? A manual hopelessly "moot" on the whole topic (i.e., of command and control at 1st Manassas ...leading one 'brigadier' club member to demand that all leaders, McDowell, Johnston, and Beauregard enjoyed 28 hex command ranges ...just for starters! [:0]).

Can any of this this be explained in actual, precise game-mechanic / programming code terms instead of anecdotal innuendo?

Again, the Bottom Line: Are 'we' saying that Rebel brigade officers - at 1st Manassas - DO benefit from INVISBILE [8D] Division Level Commanders?!

And, if this <i>is</i> so, what are the Command "Value" and Command "Quality" ratings (i.e., the top and bottom letters on each leader's icon) for our INVISIBLE Division level Rebel "leaders" - in comparison to our quite VISIBLE Union Division level commanders? [?]==Denny

<center><i>From a certain point onward there is no turning back. That is the point that must be reached.</i> --F. Kafka</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:43 am 
<br />No, you missed it. The Reb leaders DO get the bonus. They dont get bypassed.

I have had VERY little problem recovering from disruption Denny. Thus if for some reason the missing command level is factoring in I am not seeing it.

Finally, I showed in my earlier report how the Union does NOT have the advantage.

If the command level was missing then the best that the Reb could hope for is a "2" for a die roll or less. I am seeing the Rebs recover MUCH faster than that kind of probability.

Col. Bill Peters, The Boise Rifles, II Corps Artillery, AoA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Bill, so here's what I'm thinking (since you didn't reply right away), is it possible that your post, implying "invisible" rebel division commanders, actually included Beauregard and Johston in the equation? That is, as most of us now know (except for possibly one brigadier among us [8)]) both Rebel army commanders are in effect "Division" leaders, sporting identical 6-hex command ranges (i.e., just like a division leader). So, is it possible your rebel brigade officers that received a "command bonus" actually received one from the presence of Beauregard or Johnston?

Or are you still holding firm to the belief that there must be some kind of invisible division leader "in command" bonus being passed down to any elgible brigade officer?

Does anyone know what's really going on at the rebel end of the 1st Manassas command "bonus" picture? Rich?

Admittedly, no other game / scenario in John Tiller's Pantheon of ACW games has ever thought to include a rebel tactical "cloaking device" for their division leaders. Division leaders, mind us, that never existed on the rebel side of Bull Run. Is it, therefore, all the more plausible that the Romulans have time-traveled from beyond the Neutral Zone to exact a pre-emptive if just revenge upon the Union ...before the Union should inevitably morph into some Starship Federation of Planets thingie? [}:)]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:23 am 

shoeless,

That's a REALLY cool site. I'm going to write up a blog entry highlighting it in the next week or so. Keep up the good work!

Brett S.
-------
TOCWOC Blog: http://www.brettschulte.net/CWBlog/

TOCWOC Feedburner Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/TOCWOC

My Civil War Books: http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBooks

Profile Send private message