American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Your Best Opponent
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:48 pm 

Ok boys, time to forget about your egos and tell everyone who your toughest opponents have been.

My toughest Union adversary (particularly with HPS games) remains the Laubster, Jeff Laub. This man knows very well how to put the Bluebellies to work. I cannot solve him on any battlefield.

For the old BG system, Sir Ian Roussel gets the nod. My old mentor taught me how to use the Reb Army. The man is a master at wearing down his opponent and then counter-striking at precisely the right moment. I am certain that in a BG game, at equal odds, on a field with similar knowledge with his opponent, he cannot be beat. His Top Gun record in the club would back this claim.

Who have been your best opponents??

Col. Brad Slepetz
3/1/III/AoG

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:42 am 

The A.I. [:D]

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos

The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:44 am 

Having played some 150 battles against about 60 different rebs I would have to rate Gen Kennon Whitehead the toughest reb I've played. Over the course of three games with him I only managed one draw and as I recall I barely managed to do that and Kennon was only a captain at that time. Coming in a close second would be MGen Dan Kurkimilis who also trounced me 2 out of 3.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:30 pm 

Kelly Ross is the officer I have found to be the most challenging of my opponents. He probably taught me more about tactics in these games than anyone I know.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:28 am 

I have mucho respect for Kennon. He trounced me but good in a recent 2nd Manassas game!

Bg. General Gilbert Collins
Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:52 am 
I've only played Kelly once, in a tourney I believe, but he wasted no time putting a royal arse whippin on me. [:D]

Dierk Walter has always been, in my view, one of the Union's best. Mike Dean and I have had several good battles though he's won more of them; something terribly wrong with that picture hehehehehe. Pete Eagle has put a couple of good whuppins on me too. What am I saying, everyone I play puts a good whuppin on me hehehehehe.

Lt. Gen. M. Conrad Smith
4th Division, III Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:53 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />The A.I. [:D]

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos

The Union Forever! Huzzah!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Agreed. [:(]

General Don Golen

AoP, brigade assign pending Union!

http://www.acwgc.org/USA_WTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:35 am 

I can not tell you exactly who is the toughest but of the almost 200 losses I have to my credit, Derald Riggs, Dave Danner and Jeff Laub have beaten my soundly over the last five years....I have been ripped, beaten, torn, destroyed and have been soundly decimated by these guys.....Not to mention good ole Ax in the BG games...Plus I have Rick Trembley, Willie Passmore,and Sir Anthony Barlow who just like to give me a long hard way to go and I give them a laugh and a chuckle after every one of their victories....But I will get them all one day.....

Lt. Gen. John Dragan AoA/III

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:37 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by draganfly</i>
<br />But I will get them all one day.....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">John, you did get me in our last battle, and it wasn't nice.[B)] The current one isn't looking good either. Now my army fear you and refuse to attack. Such are the fortunes of war.[:D]

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/western_theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:28 am 

Pete he is great:)

Brig. Gen. Przemek Niedzielski
Commander
3rd Division
2nd Corps
Army of the Missisipi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:40 am 

John is not telling the WHOLE truth, he has beaten me on several battlefields, and is likely to do so at 2nd Bull Run currently, along with a good run for my money (aka too early to tell) in our Chickamauga and Atlanta campaign battles. One other thing about John - I can't make him flinch once he's started his forces forward. You know if the attack has started, you're not going to stop it with feints or weak couterpunches. He's giving you all the steel he has!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:45 am 

That's right Jeff. When John Dragan attacks you'd better be ready for it because nothing will stop him. Even if you manage to win your army is left in tatters. Never a dull moment with John...

[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/acw.htm"]General Antony Barlow[/url]
[url="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.r.barlow/acwgc/western_theater.htm"]Commander, Western Theater, Union Army[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:01 am 

Here are some more:

<b>Sean Turner </b>is a very tough opponent. I've only played him twice in this club but he left me feeling thoroughly outplayed each time. I'm working on fixing that in a Waterloo campaign with him over in the NWC though.[;)]

I played many great games with <b>David Kerns </b>over a period of several years. He was a great opponent who always made me work hard. He won some and I won some but it was always very tough.

My worst ever defeat was against <b>Tony Best </b>so he deserves a mention. The horror of it.... Enough said about that.[:D]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:22 pm 
While certainly not a discredit to any other opponents, Jeff Laub and Ken Whitehead have been the toughest I have faced. I learned more from a few maneuvers against Gen Whitehead than I could have in years on my own.

As for Jeff, well... I think the real secret behind his success is that he somehonw always outnumbered me by at least 20,000 men. [:D] I bet I could take him in 2nd Winchester! [:p][:I][:o)]

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:42 am 

I bet you could, General Lynn![:D]

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/