American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:24 am 

Maybe Ed can clarify this but I was under the impression that he was moving everything from the acwgc.org site to a new site at acwgc.net. I am not sure who is paying for the acwgc.net but it might help if he posted what is on which site and who is paying for both of them right now.

I do know the acwgc.org site supported some features that we don't or at least no longer use. You might be able to downgrade the hosting package to a less expensive one. One of the features was SQLServer support which my older War College site used but it has been shut down.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:23 am 
Kennon, I have the acwgc.net host site (I personally funded for a year), but it does not have a web password system with the capabilities to handle all the sites (max 20 Admin users - or 20 sites with passwords). I have been transfering some while looking at downsizing the package we have available on acwgc.org.

I will continue to look at both the sites and report back to all interested parties on this thread, on the possiblities of moving most of the sites. If there is anything that I cannot re-produce on a lower cost host then we may have to keep some version of acwgc.org operating to keep those sites functioning properly.

I suspect that the forums and some picture software may not co-operate fully. Obviously there is individual sites Larry has hosted that have password protection on them, which may also cause problems with password security (numbers of users) I will continue as best I can.

Ed

<center>Lt. Gen. Edward Stewart
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/Csa_Dossiers/Stewart_Edward_OBD.cfm"]Image[/url]

Army Commander - ANV
ACWGC Cabinet - CSA Secretary</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:27 am 

Count me in, I'm willing to support it.

General Paul Smith
Commanding Officer
Army of Georgia

IT'S ONLY A GAME, SO ENJOY IT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:45 am 

This hosting company has good pricing and good packages, have used it for years:

http://www.christianwebhost.com/plans/compare.html

I use the Plan B setup and it does well for my needs with large disk space allotments, MySQL databases, etc.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:20 am 

Just some passing thoughts:

Is there some reason we can't move all the club forums to this site?

For sites like the War Colleges, Army and Corps sites, etc. couldn't we host them all on another inexpensive site run by the club like this site? It would be nice to have at least a single user/password access limitation to the War College but if it is going to cause problems or increase costs we could live with out. Just have to say nasty things about the Yankees in the Southern Raiders forum only.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:45 pm 
Kennon all the problems with passwords would really affect is the various individual sites that Larry hast hosted for club members....I do not have a good enough package on my host sites to fufill all the individuals. I need to be able to give Admin acess to other users for help running the various sites.

I also need Coldfusion on the host...some host sites charge extra to set this up. One of my host sites will not support Coldfusion and the sites Larry and I have created work mostly in Coldfusion.

I can move quite a lot of stuff without problem, and have tested several sites. I will continue to work on these and help to keep acwgc.org open even if we do have to downgrade in the future.

Ed

Army Commander - ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

This site can host many more club forums. The offer is there to do so. Many many years of support to the ACWGC. Best of all it is free.

Just need to send me a note.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
1st Bde, 3rd Div,I Corps
Army of Georgia, CSA

"NEVER get into a fight without more ammunition than the other guy."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:26 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pierre D</i>
<br />This site can host many more club forums. The offer is there to do so. Many many years of support to the ACWGC. Best of all it is free.

Just need to send me a note.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And excellent service we have had here.

Forums can be password protected or open to all or open to just selected club members.
It is a format we are all familiar with.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:55 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Book Antiqua"><font size="4"><font color="orange">Folks,

Hank is away for a couple of days and will return to address the issues on Sunday.

Regards,
</font id="orange"></font id="size4"></font id="Book Antiqua">

<font color="orange"><font size="4">Nick Kunz
General
Commanding
Eastern Theatre Command
Confederate States of America</font id="orange"></font id="size4">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:10 am 

Gentlemen, please excuse my ignorance. I don't want to 'cut down' anyone's effort in furthering our computer war gaming hobby. I have visited the notso's alternate site and never could understand the point of it.

It seems to be a bunch of 'message boards' divided into various modules like "Army of the Potomac" "Army of Virginia" etc..but I did not understand what it's function was since it seemed to duplicate everything we already have in the Mason Dixon Tavern.

I did notice a section on scenario design but that just seemed to be another message board.

What am I missing here? If there is something worthwhile at the site to save? I wouldn't mind contributing myself but I'm not clear on what the site is trying to achieve. I almost never visit the site because quite frankly I find it confusing. How is one 'message board' different than another within the site itself??

Bg. General Gilbert Collins
Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:20 am 
ACWGC.org contains the following.

ACWGC.org Forums which are all still running

ANV Army site
AoG Army Site
AoT Army Site
CSA Eastern theatre
CSA HQ
VMI
CSA War College
USA War College
USA Military Academy
Scenario Design
ACW Cartography Office
ANV vs AoP Challenge site
CSA Sharpshooters site

Plus there are many more....

Army Commander - ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:02 am 

Bonemash: When I go to the site there are only eight forums. Is there a setting on my Firefox Browser I'm missing or what?

I see:

Army of the Potomac
Army of the Shenandoah
Army of Northern Virginia
Army of Georgia
VMI Mess Hall
Scenario Design
ANV vs AOP Challenge
Fight the War

I still don't understand what the site if for. Is it only for 'chat' within the various armies? Why would I visit the Army of Northern Virginia site over the Army of Shenandoah site?

Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:10 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bonemash</i>
<br />ACWGC.org contains the following.

ACWGC.org Forums which are all still running

ANV Army site
AoG Army Site
AoT Army Site
CSA Eastern theatre
CSA HQ
VMI
CSA War College
USA War College
USA Military Academy
Scenario Design
ACW Cartography Office
ANV vs AoP Challenge site
CSA Sharpshooters site

Plus there are many more....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

As Pierre has suggested and Gilbert mentioned, couldn't most of these discussion boards simply be incorporated into the framework of the WARGAMES.CH boards?

They are then readily available and the necessity of members going to several places for discussions is avoided, they have only one to go to for all their discussion needs.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:56 am 

I'm all for Ernie's suggestion. Visiting the alternate site and seeing all those different message boards is extremely confusing. If you wanted to discuss for example 'The Battle of Chancellorsville' and wanted maximum exposure, where would you post? Army of the Potomac, Army of Shenandoah etc...

I would have thought that ANY message board (even our own in the ACWGC) should be better categorized so you can post something where like readers can compare notes. The Matrix boards and some of the History boards are set up this way. Even our own Mason Dixon Tavern is pretty 'wide open'. But what if you had categories like:

Battles and Leaders Discussion
Visting the Battlefields Discussion
HPS isses
HPS tactical hints
HPS After action reports

Anyway, just some ideas.

Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:26 am 

The CSA War College has already be relocated from acwgc.org to Ed's new site at acwgc.net.

I use the Southern Raiders forum to discuss anything War College related since the War College isn't set up as a forum but rather as a web site for more permanent material.

I have found that things like tactical discussions and AAR's can be started in forums but once completed need a permanent non-forum home like the War College site where they can be organized for easy viewing and access.

Most club related discussions are best handled here on this board where the most people are likely to see it. Speciallized forums tend to get ignored because they aren't active enough. The exception is the army specific forums where each army wants a place for just their members to discuss that army's issues.

There are some special interests areas that would justify a separate forum for discussion but still need a web site for more permanent storage of the discussions or related material. These would be the Scenario Design abd ACW Cartography Office.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next