American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:40 pm 

Gen Collns,

From the Help files

Select Flank Morale Modifier to have the morale of units increased by 1 for Rout and Disruption determination when they have friendly non-Leader units on both flanks. The friendly units can be in either of the two hexes on each flank of the unit (see illustration at right). Another way to refer to this feature is as "double flank elbow courage".

So using this optional rule gives you a morale bonus for using a continous line. A unit on the end of the line with it's flank "in the air" does not get the bonus. So it pays to put your best class units on the end of the line and the poorer ones in the middle.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:23 am 

Thanks Ken for the reference. I knew it was in there somewhere. This does alleviate, but not entirely correct the deficiencies of the hex grid but it is a good starting spot.

Bg. General Gilbert Collins
Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:07 am 

While we're talking about the Automatic Defensive Fire program, I'd like to try to identify <i>all</i> of the "triggering" situations that induce a check for "opportunity fire." As I understand it these events serve only as a possible check for "opportunity fire" and do not in and of themselves automatically induce the fire.

A.) Open, LOS <i><font color="orange">movement</font id="orange"></i> within an enemy unit's fire range, which may be repeated for <i>each hex</i> so traversed, the direction of such movement being immaterial.

B.) Open, LOS <i><font color="orange">facing change</font id="orange"></i> within an enemy unit's fire range, which may be repeated for <i>each change</i> effected.

C.) Any observable <i><font color="orange">formation change</font id="orange"></i> within an enemy unit's fire range.

D.) Any <i><font color="orange">offensive fire</font id="orange"></i>.

E.) Any observable <i><font color="orange">deployment or recall of skirmishers</font id="orange"></i> within an enemy unit's fire range

Have I left anything out, not counting the defensive melee fire?

Does anyone know the mechanism by which the HPS program computes the possiblity for actual fire once these triggering events happen? Also, can someone tell me the mechanism by which this fire is directed against stacked target units? And finally, can anyone tell me how opportunity fire is directed at a stack when the trigger event is caused by a leader unit changing formation?

Col. Jos. C. Meyer

Col. Jos. C. Meyer,
4th "California" Brigade,
"Cumberland Sabres" Cavalry Division,
14th Corps, Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:52 am 
Selecting <i><font color="orange">Entrenchment</font id="orange"></i> building on/off can also cause an enemy to fire on a unit.

<center>Gen. Edward Stewart
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/ANV/Dossiers/Stewart_Ed.cfm"]Image[/url]

Army Commander - ANV
ACWGC Cabinet - CSA Secretary</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:25 pm 

I'd like to see op-fire default to user-designated hex proximity fire orders set at the command hierarchy. That is, the default for the Army would be current program behavior. The player then has the option to override op-fire proximity at any level in the command structure, down to individual units to instruct blanket fire commands at different distances, for example.

In most cases, I'd instruct my Army-level control to two-hexes. Depending on a defensive position, I might order some of my arty to fire at longer ranges. As AVALON HILL game boxes used to advertise -- YOU take command!

Lt Col G. Barnard
2/3/II/AoM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:35 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by animalfat</i>
<br />I'd like to see op-fire default to user-designated hex proximity fire orders set at the command hierarchy. That is, the default for the Army would be current program behavior. The player then has the option to override op-fire proximity at any level in the command structure, down to individual units to instruct blanket fire commands at different distances, for example.

In most cases, I'd instruct my Army-level control to two-hexes. Depending on a defensive position, I might order some of my arty to fire at longer ranges. As AVALON HILL game boxes used to advertise -- YOU take command!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi, Colonel,

You can already select ranges for both infantry and artillery in the
AI, but unfortunately you only have two ranges for infantry and three for artillery, and your selection applies to ALL your units. Hopefully some day you will be able to set ranges for individual units, although that will probably contribute to real-world combat fatigue. It says the minimum range for infantry is usually 2 and artillery usually 4 in the help manual.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:16 am 

The computer-controlled defensive fire of the infantry and artillery may only be adjusted for range when the <b>Automatic Defensive Fire </b>option is selected. This is applicable to both turn-based and phased-based play.

As General Mihalik states, the selections apply to <i>all</i> of the infantry and artillery units on the field. In actual practice it is nothing more than a brake against ineffective, ammo-wasting longer-ranged fire. In a turn-based contest the automatic 50% reduction in defensive fire effectiveness remains unchanged no matter what ranges are selected.

Col. Jos. C. Meyer

Col. Jos. C. Meyer,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:25 pm 

Unfortunately the simple act of an officer entering a hex can also trigger auto-defensive fire.

This 'opportunity fire' I believe was instituted in an attempt to make email play easier. And in my opinion failed even at that, to say nothing of the a-historical example it sets.

Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:42 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Meyer</i>
<br />The computer-controlled defensive fire of the infantry and artillery may only be adjusted for range when the <b>Automatic Defensive Fire </b>option is selected. This is applicable to both turn-based and phased-based play.

As General Mihalik states, the selections apply to <i>all</i> of the infantry and artillery units on the field. In actual practice it is nothing more than a brake against ineffective, ammo-wasting longer-ranged fire. In a turn-based contest the automatic 50% reduction in defensive fire effectiveness remains unchanged no matter what ranges are selected.

Col. Jos. C. Meyer
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I had forgotten about that one. Add it has reason #58 that you should never play the game "Turn" based. If you are in a scenario where you have to conserve small arms and/or artillery ammo you are faced with the choice of letting ineffective opportunity fire use it up or having no defensive fire except when the enemy moves adjacent. Basicly if you are in a situation where you have to set ADF to minimum range to conserve ammo you have practically quartered (already halved then probably about a 50% chance it will be used) defensive fire ability.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:18 am 

This is incorrect, or you are using an old version

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gcollins</i>
<br />Unfortunately the simple act of an officer entering a hex can also trigger auto-defensive fire.

This 'opportunity fire' I believe was instituted in an attempt to make email play easier. And in my opinion failed even at that, to say nothing of the a-historical example it sets.

Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
2nd Brigade, 3rd Division
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:39 am 

I'm glad they fixed the 'officer triggering fire' thing then. It goes to show you how long it's been since I have used turn based play. And will not use it.

Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:31 pm 

Friends,

I commend you for your comments, but I have a question. Why debate the issue, why not just play and have fun using the method of play that you enjoy?

I understand that neither is perfect, and tweaks will continue. In fact, another tweak has been programmed to increase, in a proportional way, the logic assigned to opp fire.

Rich

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:27 am 

Since there's now a separate melee resolution sub-phase, wouldn't it make sense if <i><b>any</b></i> unit that hadn't conducted defensive fire yet should be able to fire - at full strength - immediately prior to any melees occurring.

In addition, it would be a good idea if any unit that had only conducted <i>a single round </i>of defensive fire should be able to fire again - at 1/2 strength - prior to the melees.

The creation of a separate melee sub-phase would certainly make it <i>feasible</i> to allow this defensive fire routine I'm recommending and - as I'm sure most players agree - it's illogical to let defending units miss this opportunity for last minute defensive fire, especially since the defender <i>ought</i> to have the edge in this conflict.

Obviously the feature would only work if players selected this optional rule.

Brig. Gen. Rich White
3rd Brig. III Corps
Phantom Cav. Div.
ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:54 am 

<i>Orginally posted by Rich Walker.</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I commend you for your comments, but I have a question. Why debate the issue, why not just play and have fun using the method of play that you enjoy?

I understand that neither is perfect, and tweaks will continue. In fact, another tweak has been programmed to increase, in a proportional way, the logic assigned to opp fire.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Debating the issue is central to inputing back to HPS. The fact that we <i>are</i> debating indicates that some additional consideration and/or addressment by HPS would be welcomed. Remaining silent on the experience of game play in one mode or the other, no matter which mode one is partial to, causes no movement towards improvement.

That is why I am now intrigued by your statement, Rich, that something is in the offing concerning the coded logic of how opportunity fire may occur! In point of fact, I am completely in the dark as to how the present system decides that occurrance! A search of game documentation only reveals that the process is "random." Not having seen or heard of it prior to this time, I would very much like to hear how the necessity of this tweak was recognized and what determinations and methodologies were made to incorporate it.

Col. Jos. C. Meyer

Col. Jos. C. Meyer,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:41 pm 

But an officers mounting or dismounting can cause defensive fire. I wish they could be distinguished from units changing formation.[:(]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />This is incorrect, or you are using an old version

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gcollins</i>
<br />Unfortunately the simple act of an officer entering a hex can also trigger auto-defensive fire.

Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Lt. Col. Richard Walker
I Corps
Army of the Mississippi
"Defenders of Tennessee"

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next