American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:45 am 
I am surveying interest in a new Strategic Wargaming Club. The club would support strategic and grand strategic level, land-based wargames from any period. These are defined as games which typically:

1) Are historically based, though not necessarily historical. For instance, a post WWII Russian/American conflict would qualify. Star Wars would not.
2) Are turn based and pbem supported.
3) Represent a geographical area and a time period in which multiple major battles from a single conflict were fought or contemplated – i.e., a theater or war.
4) Have players represent theater commanders or higher.
5) Have units that represent higher-level formations (usually divisions or their equivalent or higher).

The SWC would compliment current clubs but not conflict with them in that most of the games the SWC would support are not regularly played by, and largely not supported by, clubs such as the Panzer Campaigns Club, Napoleonic Wargames Club, American Civil War Game Club or Colonial Campaigns Club.

This club would differ from a ladder in that all eligible games would be available for promotion points in a single location, and that it would be more of a role-playing club like PCC, NWC, ACWGC or CCC, with emphasis on playing games rather than earning promotions (though there is a promotion ladder in the game). However, those who are members of ladders would certainly be welcome to register qualifying club games in both places, provided your opponent is also a member of the ladder.

If you are interested in such a club, please respond to this post or drop me an email. If you would be willing to serve on the SWC staff, or as a deputy staff member, please note that in your email. Initial club rules have been drawn up and if you would like a copy of them, please note that in your email, also.

Thanks.

Lt. David R. Smith
Commanding
6th W Tx Cavalry Brigade
3rd "Texas" Division
III Corps
Army of N. Virginia
"Smith's Texas Rangers"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:44 pm 
At the upper level we are talking about games that depict entire wars such as <i>World in Flames</i>(if and when), <i>World at War, Guns of August, Forge of Freedom, Gary Grigsby's War Between the States, American Civil War: The Blue and the Gray, Crown of Glory, Empires in Arms, For Liberty!</i>, and <i>Birth of America</i>. At the theater level games would include the likes of <i>The First Blitzkrieg, Napoleon in Italy, Ango-German War</i> and <i>Russo-German War</i>. There are, of course many others, but these games are representative of the extremes. Some of these are supported by these clubs, but many are not and even where they are, some of them are hard to find opponents for. Of course, if all parties were members of both clubs they could simply register both places where applicable.
I must say, this club is very good about supporting anything ACW, and if all the clubs were as open to strategic and grand strategic titles I would happily abandon the idea of another club. But as much as I enjoy the "battle" games, and I do, my favorites are at the strategic level and I have not had ready opponents for many of them.

Lt. David R. Smith
Commanding
6th W Tx Cavalry Brigade
3rd "Texas" Division
III Corps
Army of N. Virginia
"Smith's Texas Rangers"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:13 pm 

For the most part, most, if not all, of the our sister clubs DO support the games you are speaking of. I am not sure about the WWII games, tough.

The Colonial Campaigns Club supports Birth of America; this club supports a couple og the strategic games, also.

It seems that it would be a duplication of existing support.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:32 am 
With the proposed rule change, this club supports all the ACW games I mentioned. However, NWC does not support any of the strategic games, so far as I know. And, again so far as I know, PCC only supports Tiller games, which does include TFB, but none of the other many WWII strategic level games out there. CCC supports <i>Birth of America</i>, but not <i>For Liberty!</i> and when I suggested <i>For Liberty!</i> there was little interest shown.
I think it would be great if all these clubs endorsed all turn-based pbem capable games on their subject, as this one seems to do, but I am hardly in a place to make policy for these clubs, or to criticize the policies they have in place, as I am among the newest members. And I don't want to do that, anyway. I've made a number of friends in these clubs already, and some of them seem on their way to becoming good friends, indeed. I'm not trying to make waves, I'm just looking for a way to play my games. Starting another club, based on the games I like but am, basically, unable to play in the existing clubs, seems a good way if there is sufficient interest. I regreat that there might be any crossover at all. But I don't see any workable way to prevent that given the circumstances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:00 am 

I'm glad we are able to support some of the new strategic games in this Club. Being focused on a period, rather than a game type, certainly makes for rank, club structure, camaraderie, and role playing synergies.

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:31 am 

You have placed your message in each of the clubs. See what response you get from them.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet Member
ACWGC Records Site Administrator
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:32 am 
Thanks Ernie.
As I indicated, I would personally rather see these clubs broaden their approach than start another club, for at least two reasons. First, it would generally make things simpler, especially as I really don't have the experience to run a club alone, yet, and would have to learn pretty much everything from scratch. Second, it would allow me to focus on the clubs already at hand as I would love to take on some responsibilities in one or more of them in the not too distant future. And it appears to me there is an ongoing need for help in all these clubs, already. So if there is a way to accomplish my goal within the existing clubs I would be for it.

Lt. David R. Smith
Commanding
6th W Tx Cavalry Brigade
3rd "Texas" Division
III Corps
Army of N. Virginia
"Smith's Texas Rangers"