American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:58 pm 

Actually I sent some Mexican troops, who are my allies now, to retake West Texas!

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Military Academy Instructor
Union Cabinet Secretary

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:39 am 

A little more detailed update.

<u>TransMississippi & Far West</u>
Not much has changed here. Have burned out most of the Indian villages supporting the Confederacy and content to hold on to my gains there, which includes Little Rock. Meanwhile Mexican forces under Diaz are facing off against French forces in Laredo!

<u>Western</u>
One Army under Rosecrans continues to maneuver against Vicksburg and the rest of Mississippi but supply problems are really slowing me down. Having a heck of a time keeping rail lines intact against Rebel cavalry raiders. Hoping a few depots that are under construction will help and a large attack planned against Meridian will give me a new rail hub. The other Army under Grant continues to hold Atlanta while one Corps under McPherson moves on Cumberland. My cavalry has moved on Macon with the intent to tear up the rail line there and destroy the last east/west rail link for the Confederacy. As Grant gets his supply lines straightened out and garrisoned he will move to meet the forces in Savannah. An Army HQ has been sent to Savannah and we should be able to form an army there next turn to continue my conquest of the SE Confederacy

<u>Eastern</u>
One Army under McDowell continues to besiege Fairfax VA and has beaten off several attempts by Lee to break that siege. Another Army under Buell awaits the reconstruction of the rail lines into Harpers Ferry before continuing his advance down the Shenandoah valley. Confederate cavalry raiders are playing havoc with my rail lines here also and a lot of cavalry has been recruited to combat this problem. The British have managed to take Buffalo but I've got a division plus building in Rochester to counter any other moves or eventually retake Buffalo. The British are also besieging Boston but I've got plenty of forces in the fortifications and a relief force is gathering in Danbury.

<u>Naval</u>
We defeated the British naval force off St. Augustine and are pursuing this turn. A large naval force under David Farragut is on the way to the waters off Boston to drive off the British fleet there. Another British force has shown up in my Gulf of Mexico blockade box and freshly resupplied/repaired naval forces are on the way to contest them there. Meanwhile on the Mississippi River a reinforced Porter chases the Rebel river fleet downstream. The Union Pacific fleet is also on the way to the Gulf of Mexico to insure American naval supremacy in our waters.

On the victory screen I currently have just a narrow lead over the Rebels, 4755 to 4553 (as best I can remember). His national morale is in better shape then mine though. So far the Rebels have had approximately 715,000 casualities to my 590,000. I've also taken 93,900 prisoners of war. Not sure how many Rebels were actually taken prisoner during the real war but this sounds like a lot to me....and no exchanges taking place in this game!

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:41 am 

The British manage to take Rochester NY but move on and Yankee militia rise up and reclaim the city. My troops in the area have moved back on Buffalo to try and retake the city but mainly to try and put the British army there out of supply. Can there be a second Saratoga in that invading armies future? Forces continue to gather in CT to relieve Boston but the railways in MD and southern PA are a wreck thanks to Mosby, who was destroyed this past turn. Lee once again tries to break the siege in Fairfax of Alexandria and pays a very heavy price, including another 8,000 prisoners taken and 18,000 casualties if my memory is right. McPherson takes Columbus GA and is making a quick march on Montgomery AL as it appears undefended. Supply issues still plague many of my troops in MS and western TN but the raider there was destroyed also so hopefully that will rectify soon. However Pope has managed to get between Johnston and Vicksburg and the garrison there looks weak so we are going to attempt to move in there and take the place by storm! Diaz was kicked out of West Texas by the French, but the French can't be causing too much trouble while there in Laredo. However a French fleet has shown up outside the Chesepeake Bay. What are they up too????

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:32 am 

Farragut drove the British fleet away from Boston but the the next turn that French fleet showed up and kicked Farragut's butt. However it is November and the snow is flying in New England so I expect the British forces in the Boston area and upstate New York to start suffering from attrition. The French army in Laredo has moved on to siege my troops on the Texas Gulf Coast which has allowed Diaz to move back against Laredo. McPherson continues to rampage through Alabama, taking Selma and now moving on Montgomery. In Mississippi we took Vicksburg with Pope's Corps but Johnston brought his whole army and kicked me out. However I've now got Johnston penned in Vicksburg and he'll have to decide whether to break out or face a siege in a few turns as I start moving troops that way. McDowell finally took Alexandria at a heavy cost to the Confederates and now he and Lee sit staring at each other. I think the Rebels are trying to suck me attacking Manassas but I'm having none of it right now. Buell's army is moving to reclaim Harper's Ferry once again. Two divisions have been formed in CT and are being sent to MA to relieve Boston. Probably not strong enough but I'm hoping any losses I suffer will be replaced while the losses the British suffer in battle along with any attritional losses will be much harder to replace.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:56 pm 

If any of you are interested in the game I took a quick peek on E-Bay today and there are some pretty cheap copies available.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:40 pm 

Winter has struck across the land and it is affecting who is campaigning where. This last turn the British have disappeared from in front of Boston as apparently they didn't want to weather....well the weather. The British in upstate NY have apparently retreated to Niagra. Meanwhile my forces in Matagorda have repulsed an attack by the French and Mexican forces under Diaz have Sterling Price bottled up in Laredo. I continue to march forces from the Savannah and Atlanta planning to meet in central Georgia and divide the Confederacy in half while Pope is going to make a bold move down Mississippi and see if he can take an apparently unoccupied Port Hudson. Confederate National Morale had finally dipped below 100 (90 currently) and I'm hoping I can rampage throughout the South driving it even lower while Lee and McDowell sit in Virginia and stare at each other.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:05 am 

I think this has become a World War.[:D]

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:41 am 

Finished up the last turn of January 1865. Not much going on for the Union. The French moved on northern Mexico and has now freed up a lot of troops there that had been locked into place. We also captured Harpers Ferry...again! Have advanced one corps under Wallace to siege Manassas and another under Howard to take Aquia. Continue to reinforce the troops in Georgia so I can find enough to hold my supply lines while I gather to pull a Sherman and start advancing through SC and north. British troops have shown up on Virginia, be interesting to see what they do. Otherwise we are waiting for winter to lose it's grip on the country so the spring campaign can begin.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:54 am 

Well winter still has a grip on most of the country and it is costing me some attrition losses each turn. Pope has made a mad dash and put New Orleans under siege but his supply situation is pretty bad. Relief is on the way as I've loaded up some transports and plan on opening up the Mississippi from the Gulf end next turn or so. I've turned Sheridan loose in Georgia and the Florida Panhandle to see what VP cities they can pick up. Also got a division marching through Alabama. Going to start seeing about the annexation of Canada next. :-)
Right now the CSA National Morale is at 82 and 40 is broken while mine is at 154 and 180 is a winner.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:36 am 

Pope managed to take New Orleans but his boys are awful hungry. Relief is on the way but it's going to be dicey. Johnston moved out of Vicksburg and attacked a Corps under Franklin in Jackson but we'd been there awhile and had a pretty high entrenchment level and despite being outnumbered were able to repulse that attack. Johnston retreated deeper into MS so Franklin is making a move on Vicksburg. Hancock took Augusta unopposed and is going to make a dash for Colombia. Confederate national morale is down to 77. Union national morale was on the climb with the fall of New Orleans but John Wilkes Booth kidnapped President Lincoln. That cost me 5 national morale points plus I had to release 10,000 prisoners to get the President back. Security will be tightened up!!!

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:15 pm 
Sounds really fun, I like your reports, it is fun reading reports like this. I have bought the game a while back now and played a couple of times, It just seems too hard to understand so I gave up, I think I am going to pull the game back out and play a little more now!

<font color="yellow">Colonel Daniel Sheppard</font id="yellow">
<font color="red">"King Cotton Corps"</font id="red">
<font color="black"> I Corps Commander </font id="black">
<font color="black">Army of Georgia</font id="black">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:23 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mpithunder</i>
<br />Sounds really fun, I like your reports, it is fun reading reports like this. I have bought the game a while back now and played a couple of times, It just seems too hard to understand so I gave up, I think I am going to pull the game back out and play a little more now!

<font color="yellow">Colonel Daniel Sheppard</font id="yellow">
<font color="red">"King Cotton Corps"</font id="red">
<font color="black"> I Corps Commander </font id="black">
<font color="black">Army of Georgia</font id="black">
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'd encourage anyone who has this game to take time to learn it as it is a blast. Same with Grigsby's War Between the States.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:35 pm 

"but John Wilkes Booth kidnapped President Lincoln."

Mark don't tell me he held a shoe to his head saying, "everybody back or I'll ...."

(sorry I can't even come up with anything punny about shoes, anyone?) hehehe...

Well I guess he could threaten to put a boot up his backside. [:I]

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos

The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:23 am 

I managed to get some supply into New Orleans so Pope's men are eating again. Hooker launches his attack on the river mouth fort this coming turn. Hancock should be assaulting Columbia SC this turn also. Had to pull Sheridan and his horsey guys back out of the swamps of Florida and Georgia as resistance was a little more then I had anticipated and there isn't much to eat there. Brits are becoming a major thorn in my side in upstate NY and reinforcements are on the way. I've got some cavalry units going to destroy the rail lines in Toronto and such this turn and we'll see how good that supply line is from Canada. Ord is also moving on London Ontario this turn with a division from Michigan to see if we can make it a little more uncomfortable for them. Brits are also fielding a Corps in Virginia but I figure they can stay there and be hungry with the Rebels. Had several battles wtih the French fleet but it was inconclusive. Leading in points but Confederate morale actually got a few points better this turn while mine remained the same.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:08 am 

Hooker manages to take Fort Jackson and Pope defeats an attempt by Johnston to retake New Orleans. Got one British force cut off in upstate New York but another is threatening Syracuse. I've cut the rails in Canada proper and Ord is besieging London so those Redcoats should get hungry soon enough. Trying to get Buell and McDowell to move in Virginia but that may be more of a task then taking on the Rebel and British troops there. Have Vicksburg under siege and hopefully that won't last too long. Sending Mexican forces to retake Tucson from the French...bet that is a statement you'd never thought you'd hear in a Civil War game!

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"
Union Cabinet Secretary