American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:57 am 
So I've got our new iMac setup, got the VMWare Fusion virtual machine install and running, got Windows XP installed and running, got all of my HPS games installed and running and have downloaded the patches and installed those... when I open the file and attempt to open an existing game file I get the error: Error reading from replay file.

If I am more or less running XP and was using XP before, and the only difference is that I copied over the old save game data from my PC on a flash drive and copied it onto the XP section of the iMac, I don't understand why it wouldn't work as long as it is using the most recent patches. Any ideas?

Note: Campaign files seem to work fine, but non-campaign single battle games give the above error. Luckily I only have one single battle going at the moment, with the rest being campaigns... but that one is a VMI training battle and for the sake of the cadet I hope we can get this to work!

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:42 am 

Gen Lynn,

Since you stated you copied the game folder from a previously working unit I'm going to guess the version is the same and no problems there.

First question - Is this one game or all of them ?

Is this a stock scenario and do you have the correct oob, map and pdt files in your game folder ?

Have you tried the file in another computer ? Does it work there ? If you don't have access to another pc send it to someone and have them try it.

If you tell the game not to show the replay does the file open ok ? If this is true then it's very likely the replay part of the file is corrupted. I have seen files get corrupted to where the replay doesn't work but if you continue with the game the next file is ok.

Suggest you look into these possibilities. Having played over 150 pbem games I've seen this happen on occasion and have never discovered the cause for it.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:37 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by krmiller</i>
<br />Gen Lynn,

Since you stated you copied the game folder from a previously working unit I'm going to guess the version is the same and no problems there.

First question - Is this one game or all of them ?

Is this a stock scenario and do you have the correct oob, map and pdt files in your game folder ?

Have you tried the file in another computer ? Does it work there ? If you don't have access to another pc send it to someone and have them try it.

If you tell the game not to show the replay does the file open ok ? If this is true then it's very likely the replay part of the file is corrupted. I have seen files get corrupted to where the replay doesn't work but if you continue with the game the next file is ok.

Suggest you look into these possibilities. Having played over 150 pbem games I've seen this happen on occasion and have never discovered the cause for it.

Gen. Ken Miller
1/2/VI
AoS

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ask and ye shall receive, right? It was a custom scenario that I had forgotten to unzip into the main folder of Gettybsurg so of course the file had a problem! Once the files were unzipped it works just fine. Thank. [:D]

Regards,

Lt. Gen. Alan Lynn
CSA Chief of Staff
3rd Bgde, 3rd Cav Div, II Corps, AoA

God Bless <><