American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:18 pm 

Kennon and I have been continually playing this game since we got it some months ago. Switching sides after each play. Kennon is becoming something of a resident expert on this thing, alas I have been unable to defeat him as either side.

The game has been patched to correct some minor errors and 'tweak' some historical issues. What follows is a general report on things from the Confederate point of view.

JULY-1861

Ok, 2 by 3 Games added a penalty of 10 political points if the Union do not attack Manassas on turn 1. Kennon decides to invade and there is battle there. So far, Kennon and I have not seen a Union victory at First Manassas yet. J.E. Johnston no longer has automatic initiative on turn 1 but we still find that his forces can reach Manassas in time to save the day. So in this game, McDowell is defeated and sent reeling back to Washington.

Over in West Virginia, Rosecrans over runs Grafton and Charlestown falls giving the State to the Union. Standard opening in Missouri gives the Union the state.

AUGUST-1861

Fort St. Philip, guarding the Mississippi, falls to the Union but Fort Jackson holds out against the Navy and sinks some vessels.

The State of Kentucky officially joins the Confederacy when Union forces invade the state this month.

Confederacy tries to raise as many men as it can to prepare for the Union juggernaut.

Bg. General Gilbert Collins
Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:30 pm 

The latest patch, 1.03, actually make some dramatic changes in how 1861 goes. First they changed the Kentucky first invasion turn rules so there are no overruns or amphibious attacks allowed. This means my earlier posted strategy for overruning Kentucky in one turn no longer works. It also means that you need at least one group in Cairo and one in Cincinatti to execute an invasion plus a cavalry with initiative in Cincinattie. with this combination the Union can take Paducah, Lousiville and Lexington regions which will give them a solid position for taking the rest of the state later.

The other major change was in production. Now only eastern cities can make artillery and the regions capable of making cruisers and ironclads has been reduced. This creates a lot of bottlenecks for the Union as they try to get their navy up to strength and support their armies with artillery.

A third change while not major makes taking the mouth of the Mississippi more difficult. They moved all the Union cruissers out of range of the river on the first turn so the South has one turn to get things ready.

<b>July 61</b>

Because of Lincoln's constant nagging McDowell attack Manassas even though its a lost cause (but at least due to the rule changes not a lost Political Point). I quickly overrun West Virginia and Missouri (now that my cavalry isn't needed immediately in Kentucky I can use it to take Missouri in one move). But otherwise I call a draft and get as many troops into position as possible for a Kentucky invasion since I don't know when I may need to go in.

<b>August 61</b>

I get the Initiative I need for a Kentucky invasion and decide to see what happens if you go this early. Striking in August has an obvious disadvantage, a 100 PP loss and a 50% chance of the state joining the CSA which it does. Then why go this early? Well, two reasons, first I have the required active cavalry for taking Lousiville and second the South is badly strapped for manpower this early. If I get some initiative next turn I should be able to occupy most of Kentucky and maybe even invade Tennessee. The nail biting problem the Union has under the new rules is that if they wait they may not get the requited initiative to enter Kentucky along two routes so the Rebels can't easily block both.

I also wanted to see if I could still take Fort St. Philip so I sent in the navy to clear the mouth of the Mississippi of Reb gunboats and silence the guns in the fort. Then landed troops to take it. This will effectively cork the Mississippi ports from get trade.

Now to see if I can overcome the Political Point beating I took for all this.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:43 am 

September 1861

As Kennon pointed out they have made some changes from the first edition and I think the opening moves play better now. I wish West Virginia was not an automatic Union victory though. If that could be made a 50/50 chance of staying in the Confederacy, maybe the designer could adjust the probability of the Union losing First Manassas. After all, McDowell could have won that one.

Union forces invade Kentucky but are stopped short of Bowling Green. A small skirmish east of Bowling Green results in a Rebel win so the state is not yet under the Union influence.

Fort Jackson falls at the mouth of the Mississippi and that is no surprise. You have to pump some power into those forts mighty quickly if you expect them to hold. In the 'far west' Stirling Price makes a bid to invade Missouri, I have yet to see how that works out.

Back East, the main armies remain quiet, but Jeb Stuart makes a remarkably successful Cavalry raid across the Potomac. His raid throws a scare into the citizens of Frederick and Baltimore and makes all of the eastern newspapers. As the Union player it is very hard to stop these raids early in the war as Southern 'Horsepower' is greater than what the Union can produce. This is correct historically and I agree with it. The south needs something to offset the North.

One trend Kennon and I have come to realize must end are Major Confederate Offensives north of the Potomac. So far we have not figured out a way for Confederate armies to operate north of that river. It's just too easy to cut them off and get them destroyed.

This make the war in the east a little dull and I wish there was something Gary could do to liven it up a little there. For the patch they did introduce a 'Robert E. Lee' rule which increases his 'fatality chance' if he goes west. In past games, confederate players both Kennon and I found it best to just shuttle Lee out to Tennessee and leave a mediocre commander back east. It's risky to do that now, you will want to keep Lee in the East.

Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:50 am 

September 1861

The Union has little in the way of initiatives but it doesn't need much. This is where I reap the benefits of taking Kentucky and more precisely Paducah early. The South's manpower is at its lowest relative to the Unions. Out numbered by almost 3 to 1 in these early months. Couple that with having to quickly garrison their whole coast line as well as defend Virginia (new rules give the Union a bonus for an "On to Richmond" campaign) and Tennessee/Kentucky, there are nothing but opportunities for the Union.

Price makes a bit to open up the West by attacking Springfield but I was ready and sent him packing back to Arkansas.

With my success at taking Fort St. Philip I decided to follow up in the area by landing troops on Fort Jackson and Pensacola taking both. I also sent cruisers up the Mississippi to clean out the Rebel transports there.

In Kentucky I didn't get enough initiative to do much but overran Ashland and sent a weak probe against Lebanon to see if it was defended. The big move was having two large Corps under Lyon available for a move against Humbolt which fell to their numbers. This will put my main western army into Tennessee and threatening Memphis which will further thin the Rebel defenses.

The only question is will Winter stop me and give the South the time they need to build up there armies.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:20 am 

October - November

The confederacy seems incapable of winning a battle, except in those cases where they throw 'an army' at a corps, like what happened in Franklin, West Virginia. Beuregard 'wins' there, pushing back a Union brigade that tried to defend alone. Yes, the DEFENDER can defend uncoordinated too.

Elsewhere, fortified Memphis falls and Bowling Green Kentucky. The confederates have still a toehold in Kentucky though and the state will not go under without a fight.

Army of Alabama
III/I/2nd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:57 pm 

The Union Falls upon the South[:D] - October/November

October - with winter there is a slow down due to lack of initiative among the armies. But the Union takes advantage of their early invasion of Kentucky that stretches the South's defenses by snapping up Shiloh and Franklin(WVa) without a fight. A small Corps is sent into Glasgow(Ky) to seize it as well as amphibious invasion to 3 of the 4 Islands used to supress trade.

November - Beau must have come up with one of his wild schemes to invade Northerm territory and maybe take back the new state of West Virginia. It looks like he moves against Franklin from Staunton with most of the Virginia army. I have two Corps there, some 20,000 men, only 2,000 bother to fight the rest ingloreously run for the rear without firing a shot. But Beauregard will regret this invasion which takes his army out of the Virginia theater.

Stirred by this insult all the Union armies become a beehive of activity. Lyon's moves with 60,000 men against Memphis destroying the small force there. Halleck takes a smaller army into Bowling Green quickly suppressing the Rebels defending it. Smaller forces are sent into Lebanon(Ky), taking it, and London(Ky), failing, as well as Henderson which also is to weak to succeed. In Virginia there is retribution. McDowell crosses the Potomac and takes Manassas against weak opposition. McClellan even manages to move from Ft. Monroe to seize New Kent.

Meanwhile the Union navy slips past New Orleans and proceeds to destroy all Southern shipping on the Mississippi eventually linking up with the Gunboats coming down from Cairo.

The South has suffered a heavy blow. All of Tennessee and even the deep south will be exposed to a Spring offensive.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:23 pm 

Union Winter - December and January

The South gets some relief as winter forces the Union to slow down. Franklin(WVa) is retaken as soon as the main Confederate army leaves to keep the Union armies from overruning Virginia.

Further South the North makes an amphibious landing in Jacksonville(Fl) taking the port.

Otherwise the winter is spent reorganizing for the coming spring campaign. Grant is promoted and becomes one of the western Army Commanders. Halleck replaces Fremont. Unfortunately just as things are ready command wise Gen. Scott gets a gout attack and has to leave his position in the East as Theater Commander.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:41 am 

Union: February and March

Getting initiative in February the Union armies go on a winter campaign striking hard in the West and along the South's coast. The main Western army of Lyon's marches into Corinth. While in Missouri a small force takes Fayettesville. A small force also moves into Henderson(Ky) to help secure that state. Meanwhile along the Gulf coast an amphibious invasion of Galveston is successful as well as an attack out of Jacksonville to take Tallahasse(Fl). These are followed up in March by the Kentucky army taking Clarkesville(Tn) althought a cavalry raid into Decatur was beaten back.

The Union will start the spring 1862 campaign with a firm base in Western Tennessee and Kentucky. With more ships becoming available the Union navy should be able to cut Southern trade to a trickle. More importantly the Souther Political status has been driven below 900 points. 1862 is their best year for raising armies and this will significantly reduce their recruiting.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:09 pm 

Union Spring Offensive - April and May

Scott got gout so had to replace him with McClellan as TC. Pope was brought east to be the new AC.

The Rebels counter attacked taking back New Kent in Virginia but that didn't counter the twin offensives in the West and East. Grant took his army into Grenada south of Corinth against weak opposition and sent Sheridan to take Tupelo to cover the eastern flank and railroads. McDowell overran Gordonsville while Lee was busy with New Kent.

In May Lee tries to undo the damage by attacking Gordonsville but I had moved to many troops into the area for that to work. Lee is defeated and the Union army extends its invasion of Virginia to include Appomattox as well as retaking New Kent. In the West Grant continues his drive south into Jackson taking another region and capital against weak opposition. Lyon's tries to expand his position into Tennesse by striking at Dickerson and Gallatin. The larger force against Gallatin is successful but the weaker side assault on Dickerson is driven back.

The Eastern forces also put together an amphibious assault against Baton Rouge to see if we can leap frog the Rebel defenses. Unfortunately it is driven off.

Spring ends with Grant deep into Mississippi, Lyon's threatening central Tennessee and McDowell deep into central Virginia threatening to encircle Richmond.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:32 pm 

Union Early Summer Offensives - June & July

The summer of 62 see a burst of activity by both sides as the Union tries to expend its grip on the South and the South counterattacks.

June sees Lee try to drive back the Union advance deep into central Virginia with an attack on Appomattox and Ashland which McDowell defeats. In response the Union goes on the offensive everywhere. In the West Vicksburg is taken by Grant while Lyon surges into northern Tennessee taking Livingaton and Gallaton.

July sees a more successful attempt by Lee to drive McDowell out with an attack on Gordonsville with send McDowell and the main army back to Manassas leaving the forces in Ashland and Appomatox cut off. They try to break out with attacks against Staunton and Lynchburg but are defeated. The Union does take advantage of Lee's preoccupation for an amphibious assault that takes Elizabeth City and its port. The Rebels in the far West try to turn back the Union column at Fayettesville but are defeated. In response Sigel follows them across the Arkansas river with an attack that take Fort Smith. Meanwhile Grant continues his drive through Mississippi taking Meridan. Lyon tries to get things moving in Tennessee taking Tullahoma and Huntsville followed by a main assault on Nashville which unfortunately is defeated.

The summer has been on of the most active I have seen in the game.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:56 am 

Union Summer Campaign - August and September

The summer of 62 continues the high intensity fighting that has been typical of this year. The Rebels counter attack seemingly everywhere. In the critical region of Corinth they are defeated preventing my troops in Mississippi from being cut off. But in Tullahoma(Tn), Huntsville(Al), Valdosta(Ga), and Appomattox(Va) they retake regions they lost last turn. But the Union immediately strikes back overruning Demopolis(Al), Gordonsville(Va) and Fredericksburg(Va). This followed by attacks against Natchez(Ms) which succeeds and Staunton which fails reestablishing their presence in central Virginia and control of the state of Mississippi.

In September the Rebels againt try to drive the Union back with attacks against Meridan(Ms) which is defeated, but Demopolis is retaken. But September sees another burst of Union activity with attacks into Baton Rouge, Appomatox, Lynchburg, Tyrell(NC), and Murfreesboro(Tn).

The Union grip on Mississippi as well as central and western Virginia is almost complete. Amphibious landings taking Elizabeth City, Jacksonville, Pensacola and Galveston combined with naval blockades have reduced Southern trade to a trickle. All the major rivers of the Mississippi area are now occupied by Unin gunboats.

The Union calls a new draft to take advantage of the lower cost of militia in 62 and to beef up their defenses to stop these Southern counter attacks.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:32 am 

Fall and Winter of 1862

Winter slowed the conflict down but not without it overflowing into heavy fighting in October and November before December finally put an end to the fighting.

The South tried one more time to break the Union grip on central Virginia with a major attack against the Appomattox region. But Lyon had finally gotten troops concentrated within supporting distance leading to the largest battle so far in the East. But a disaster for the South. Lyon not only won but won a Strategic Victory giving the North Emancipation and Black Recruiting.

The Union followed up the victory by taking Staunton. Then in November landing troops to take Elizabeth City on the coast. The Rebels tried to secure Richmond from the east taking New Kent back in December but the Union expanded their grip on Richmond by taking Goldsboro(NC) leaving only one railroad open to the capital.

In the West Sherman finally takes Nashville followed by most of central Tennessee. Leaving the Union in posession of all but eastern Tennessee and Kentucky. Mean while Grant strengthened his hold on almost all of Mississippi and the river except for New Orleans which is now cut off. Expansion of landings in Florida have expanded to include all of northern Florida and some lower regions of Georgia.

This will probably be the final post on this AAR. The battle will probably continue into 63 but the South no longer has a chance. With Emancipation the Union strength will grow rapidly past 2:1 probably to 3:1 by mid summer. The South's trade is already down to 20 and supplies are less than 300. I will probably see starving Rebel armies soon. Richmond is just one region away from being surrounded which should occur on the first turn of spring.

LG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
1/1/III AoM (CSA)